ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone has a sarcasm detector that isn't working. But thanks for trying to help out sweet heart.
I don’t think you understand what sarcasm is. Also, 1940 called, it wants its sexist insult back, you big, strong man you.

My suggestion? Prove your masculinity by getting the shots like most children are able to do instead of sniping on a message board, sweet heart. There are 48 pages of pretty interesting science here. Reading them won’t hurt any more than the vaccine will.

Reactions: Greg2020
Deal is done. 400 million doses in the bank (200 million from each Pfizer and Moderna).

Pfizer and German partner BioNTech will deliver at least 70 million doses by June 30, with the balance of the 100 million doses to be delivered no later than July 31, the company said.

Deal is done. 400 million doses in the bank (200 million from each Pfizer and Moderna).

Pfizer and German partner BioNTech will deliver at least 70 million doses by June 30, with the balance of the 100 million doses to be delivered no later than July 31, the company said.

I'll believe it when I see it. The US is still way behind the multi adjusted number of 20 million by Dec 31st. Lots of problems still in the entire system to get people vaccinated.

Whitebus really doesn’t want to get back to normal 😂
Actually the complete opposite. Tired of all this. Tired of the businesses that are arbitrarily closed but box stores can stuff thousands of people into them. Tired of these projections that have changed 20x in the last few months. We haven't even vaccinated a million people yet but keep hearing 20 million by the end of the year. If you don't there is a problem keep your head buried in the sand.

This vaccine tracker from Bloomberg is pretty cool. Shows 2.4MM vaccinated worldwide and 776K in the US, through today. I assume it's updated daily. I don't think we'll make it to 20MM in the US by the end of the year, as hoped, but I'd guess by about a week or so later.

Also, for people nervous about vaccine distribution, I'm pretty sure if we can vaccinate 65% of children and ~50% of Americans over 3-4 months for influenza, we can vaccinate the ~60% of adult Americans who say they will get a vaccine between now and the end of April (that's 160MM people and we should have doses for 200MM by the end of June, so it might take until past the end of April by a bit). The distribution system for COVID is essentially identical to what we've been doing for the flu for decades, apart from the cryogenic storage requirements for the Pfizer vaccine, which isn't that complicated really (just needs dry ice).

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

I use that tracker too. Think it’s a few days behind, but still pretty cool.

Actually the complete opposite. Tired of all this. Tired of the businesses that are arbitrarily closed but box stores can stuff thousands of people into them. Tired of these projections that have changed 20x in the last few months. We haven't even vaccinated a million people yet but keep hearing 20 million by the end of the year. If you don't there is a problem keep your head buried in the sand.

We are definitely over 1 mil at this point. The tracker has us at 800k and that’s not real time and is missing a few states. Even if they are off by a week and hit 20mil in early Jan, so what? Are we really splitting hairs here? The fact is each week we are going to ramp things up and everyone who wants to be vaccinated will likely be done by May/June. Starting Feb we will see deaths and hospitalizations start taking a nice dive. The end is near.

It's accurate. Updated everyday. Not behind.

😂😂

Look under the chart.

“Note: Data gathered from government websites, press conferences, public statements and Bloomberg interviews. Some states haven’t reported vaccination tallies, and it can take several days for counts to be added to local databases. State totals include city-level vaccine jurisdictions.”

Curious question. Was reading a few instances last week that people receiving the shots were monitored for a few minutes afterwards by doctors to make sure there were no adverse effects of the vaccine.

Today it appears in NJ there’s a “drive thru” vaccination taking places where people are vaccinated thru their windows and drive off.

Is this safe?

We are definitely over 1 mil at this point. The tracker has us at 800k and that’s not real time and is missing a few states. Even if they are off by a week and hit 20mil in early Jan, so what? Are we really splitting hairs here? The fact is each week we are going to ramp things up and everyone who wants to be vaccinated will likely be done by May/June. Starting Feb we will see deaths and hospitalizations start taking a nice dive. The end is near.
Don't confuse "delivered" with "vaccinated" big difference.
How are they going to go from 800k in 10 days to a 1milion a day by the first week of January? Delivering the viles across is the easy part. Physically breaking down the doses and scheduling individual vaccination is an entirely different equation.

😂😂

Look under the chart.

“Note: Data gathered from government websites, press conferences, public statements and Bloomberg interviews. Some states haven’t reported vaccination tallies, and it can take several days for counts to be added to local databases. State totals include city-level vaccine jurisdictions.”

Also, as I mentioned in a prior post CVS and Walgreens are traveling to nursing homes to do vaccinations which takes coordination and more time. Once they start administering at their stores, the pace should pick up. According to CVS, 70% of the US population lives within 3 miles of a store.

Also, as I mentioned in a prior post CVS and Walgreens are traveling to nursing homes to do vaccinations which takes coordination and more time. Once they start administering at their stores, the pace should pick up. According to CVS, 70% of the US population lives within 3 miles of a store.

Agree. Things will scale up quickly. Like numbers said, we pretty much do it every year with the flu shot, and that’s an afterthought.

Makes sense. Boulder rolling down a hill! I'm within walking distance to a CVS.

Full baseball stadiums on 4th of July weekend. Start of the 2021/2022 school year perfectly back to normal.

One period ends a sentence. I cant take it anymore. As to whether or not you want to go with the double space after the period, that can get trivial. But for the love of Jesus, end a sentence with one period. It is impossible to take anything you say seriously when every sentence ends in ...
Hey very simple “ Ignats “ I suggest you ignore it... some of you highly educated tools ...lol.. are so f’ing full of yourselves... you don’t realize that some of us ( me in particular) just don’t give a shit what you and a few others think... I’m not in your writing class at Dear Old RU... it’s a nonsense sports board where most have an extremely over inflated opinion of themselves, their knowledge of science, politics, medicine , law and in this case proper punctuation... The problem here is not the fact you don’t like my using ( ... ) It’s your blatant stupidity and need to attempt to denigrate what you deem incorrect... At 70 + I don’t really care ... life is too short to be worrying that some Rutgers fan doesn’t approve if my usage of 3 periods... it’s an innocent thing and I will continue to use it on here... 🎅👌🪓🪓🪓🪓🪓 ... you would be better off using your posts for other things such as kissing #’s ass ... I see he liked your post ...isn’t that right Mr. Merck? Or should we call you Supply Chain Expert and Weather Guru? Another one who considers himself to be superior to others especially to those who question his posts or disagree... Now there is a guy who needs a reality check... we all can’t be like you.

Last edited:
Hey very simple “ Ignats “ I suggest you ignore it... some of you highly educated tools ...lol.. are so f’ing full of yourselves... you don’t realize that some of us ( me in particular) just don’t give a shit what you and a few others think... I’m not in your writing class at Dear Old RU... it’s a nonsense sports board where most have an extremely over inflated opinion of themselves, their knowledge of science, politics, medicine , law and in this case proper punctuation... The problem here is not the fact you don’t like my using ( ... ) It’s your blatant stupidity and need to attempt to denigrate what you deem incorrect... At 70 + I don’t give really care ... life is too short to be worrying that some Rutgers fan doesn’t approve if my usage of 3 periods... it’s an innocent thing and I will continue to use it on here... 🎅👌🪓🪓🪓🪓🪓 ... you would be better off using your posts for other things such as kissing #’s ass ... I see he liked your post ...isn’t that right Mr. Merck? Or should we call you Supply Chain Expert and Weather Guru? Another one who considers himself to be superior to others especially to those who question his posts or disagree... Now there is a guy who needs a reality check... we all can’t be like you.
Frankly, you make it very easy for posters here to feel superior to you.

Moderna is an incredible story. They are going to write books on what they’ve accomplished. They were able to sequence the virus in two days. Just incredible.

Therapeutic Management of Patients with COVID-19
Last Updated: December 3, 2020

Executive Summary
Two main processes are thought to drive the pathogenesis of COVID-19. Early in the course of the infection, the disease is primarily driven by replication of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Later in the course of infection, the disease is driven by an exaggerated immune/inflammatory response to the virus that leads to tissue damage. Based on this understanding, it is anticipated that antiviral therapies would have the greatest effect early in the course of disease, while immunosuppressive/anti-inflammatory therapies are likely to be more beneficial in the later stages of COVID-19.

In the earliest stages of infection, before the host has mounted an effective immune response, anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibody-based therapies may have their greatest likelihood of having an effect. In this regard, although there are insufficient data from clinical trials to recommend either for or against the use of any specific therapy in this setting, preliminary data suggests that outpatients may benefit from receiving anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies early in the course of infection. The anti-SARS-CoV-2 monoclonal antibodies bamlanivimab and casirivimab plus imdevimab are available through Emergency Use Authorizations for outpatients who are at high risk for disease progression.

Remdesivir, an antiviral agent, is currently the only drug that is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of COVID-19. It is recommended for use in hospitalized patients who require supplemental oxygen. However, it is not routinely recommended for patients who require mechanical ventilation due to the lack of data showing benefit at this advanced stage of the disease.1-4

Dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, has been found to improve survival in hospitalized patients who require supplemental oxygen, with the greatest effect observed in patients who require mechanical ventilation. Therefore, the use of dexamethasone is strongly recommended in this setting.5-8

The COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) continues to review the most recent clinical data to provide up-to-date treatment recommendations for clinicians who are caring for patients with COVID-19. Figure 1 summarizes the Panel’s recommendations for managing patients with varying severities of disease. A comprehensive summary of the clinical data for the drugs that are being investigated for the treatment of COVID-19 can be found in the Antiviral Therapy, Immune-Based Therapy, and Adjunctive Therapy sections of these Guidelines.

FROM THE LATEST NIH GUIDELINES
Should patients who are immunocompromised wait a while before going for a vaccine? Specifically, I know someone with MALT lymphoma. From reading various sites, it seems the trials did not include (or report) immunocompromised subjects. Would seem to be best to wait?

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
Now that is a good question and there are many who are immune compromised... are we talking all biologicals or just some ...

Should patients who are immunocompromised wait a while before going for a vaccine. Specifically, no someone with MALT lymphoma. From reading various sites, it seems the trials did not include (or report) immunocompromised subjects. Would seem to be best to wait?

Great question. One of my good buddies has an autoimmune disease and he's been told by his GP that it would be best to wait until conclusive studies are done on that segment of the population.

Sucks for him though as he is certainly in the at-risk group even though he's only 29 and otherwise healthy. At the same time this is why mandatory vaccines are going to be a flop. What if it takes a year for this subset to be properly analyzed? Are we going to bar people like him from participating in society? This is more of a question for the EU as there are already bills in EU parliament to restrict the non-vaccinated from using things like public transportation or shopping for essentials.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don’t think you understand what sarcasm is. Also, 1940 called, it wants its sexist insult back, you big, strong man you.

My suggestion? Prove your masculinity by getting the shots like most children are able to do instead of sniping on a message board, sweet heart. There are 48 pages of pretty interesting science here. Reading them won’t hurt any more than the vaccine will.
Listen sweetheart I will get the shot when and if I choose to. Plenty of people feel the same way . Keep being a gov't sheep they know and only they know what is good for you . Now crawl back under your bed a virus is looking for you.

Listen sweetheart I will get the shot when and if I choose to. Plenty of people feel the same way . Keep being a gov't sheep they know and only they know what is good for you . Now crawl back under your bed a virus is looking for you.
Tough guy afraid of a little needle?

Rather be a sheep to science than a sheep to political bloggers. You do you though. I think there are some conspiracy threads on the CE board you can join if this one is too fact-based for you.

Merck’s therapeutics are coming. OWS just bought their treatment for severe illness, so looking like this will be FDA EUA’ed in the next couple months. This is the first therapeutic for severe illness that OWS has invested in iirc. I remember reading about their interim P3 results in Sept...reduced deaths and respiratory failure by 50%. This could make a big impact, wish we had it now.

The best part about this thread is seeing the guys who have complained about masks, shutdowns, etc every, single step of the way now railing against the vaccine that could help bring us back to normality.
I'm not railing about the vaccine. Your reading comprehension sucks.

Merck’s therapeutics are coming. OWS just bought their treatment for severe illness, so looking like this will be FDA EUA’ed in the next couple months. This is the first therapeutic for severe illness that OWS has invested in iirc. I remember reading about their interim P3 results in Sept...reduced deaths and respiratory failure by 50%. This could make a big impact, wish we had it now.

Sounds like a great drug, but it is not a Merck product. The drug was discovered and developed by OncoImmune.

---

Merck acquired MK-7110 when it made a deal last month to buy OncoImmune, the pharmaceutical firm behind the drug.

The treatment, originally named CD24Fc, uses something called a recombinant fusion protein to regulate the body’s response to COVID-19. The drug is believed to put a check on the immune system, which can overreact when people get infected with the virus, according to STAT news.

Sounds like a great drug, but it is not a Merck product. The drug was discovered and developed by OncoImmune.

---

Merck acquired MK-7110 when it made a deal last month to buy OncoImmune, the pharmaceutical firm behind the drug.

The treatment, originally named CD24Fc, uses something called a recombinant fusion protein to regulate the body’s response to COVID-19. The drug is believed to put a check on the immune system, which can overreact when people get infected with the virus, according to STAT news.

Well yeah, didn’t feel the need to cover the acquisition history, but I also don’t hate Merck as much as you do 😂

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Don't know if this has been discussed here. But if not, I'd appreciate comments from some of the knowledgeable people on this forum.

The doctor's argument seems compelling, but ...

I wonder how feasible it would be to make available to everyone a med that is not now commonly used. How many doses would be inticated?

Merck announced today that they have acquired what many think is a breakthrough anti-inflammation therapy from OncoImmune a privately held company in MD for $450MM - it gets them the molecule and there is also an investment in the company; see the first link. This molecule, called SACCOVID or CD24Fc, was shown to reduce the risk of respiratory failure or death by more than 50% in patients hospitalized with Covid and requiring oxygen; the press release in the 2nd link from September discusses the clinical data - which have yet to be published. Even with vaccines, which won't be 100% effective, and the monoclonal antibodies (which look to not work so well in seriously ill patients), there will likely still be some seriously ill patients down the road (and certainly through spring), so if this drug works that well, there will still be a need for it.

This play is all about Merck being able to scaleup and manufacture large quantities of the drug faster than this small company could have done on their own. I imagine my friends in the development and manufacturing areas are going to have a busy 6 months, lol, given Perlmutter's comments at the end of the article, especially the part in bold: “Now that we have this terrible, terrible surge in Covid-19 cases, and so many people are hospitalized in severe or critical condition, and so many people in ICUs, tens of thousands, or potentially hundreds of thousands or more just in the United States might need this drug. We’re going to move heaven and earth to produce the material.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/mer...o-ramp-supply-of-promising-covid-19-drug.html

http://www.oncoimmune.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1101:oncoimmune-s-saccovid-cd24fc-exhibits-superb-therapeutic-efficacy-a-potential-breakthrough-in-treating-severe-and-critical-covid-19&Itemid=316

“The results are remarkable,” Merck’s research chief, Dr. Roger Perlmutter, said in a telephone interview.
With cases of Covid averaging almost 170,000 a day in the U.S. and a record number of people in the hospital with the disease, a drug that could significantly speed recovery and reduce the risk of death or of patients getting so severely ill they require ventilators could make a major difference in the pandemic.

But there’s a problem: supply. “We realized that this small little company was in no position to make CD24Fc to try and treat all of the people who could potentially benefit from this drug,” Perlmutter said. “We decided that the only way, seriously, that this could be brought to people who need it is for us to lean in with our capabilities.”

Merck plans to shift some of its manufacturing capacity to start making the drug. But it’s a complex medicine to manufacture and it will take time. Perlmutter said he’s aiming for “before the middle of next year, and ideally much before that,” for there to be ample supply.

Good to see the OWS announcement come out; background info on the Oncoimmune antibody drug in the post from last month, above - it's a very challenging biological process, which is why Merck got involved on the manufacturing end. Also, as the Bloomberg article noted, Merck's antiviral drug monupiravir (discovered years ago at Emory University and looking for a disease to treat) should have clinical results in January.

The interesting thing about the anti-inflammatory drug that got the OWS support is that it's targeted at severely ill COVID patients in the hospital, while the antiviral is targeted at mild to moderately ill COVID patients, much like remdesivir and the Regeneron/Lilly antibody drugs, where they look to be most effective.

Given the numbers in the US of severely ill patients are far, far smaller than mildly ill ones, there likely would be enough doses of the anti-inflammatory drug for anyone who needed it (by the time it's more available in Spring, with presumably much lower infection rates), while at current infection rates there are nowhere near enough doses of the drugs for mildly ill patients in the US or certainly worldwide. That will obviously change once many to most are vaccinated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020 and Kbee3
Don't believe I mentioned you or quoted you. I didn't even make that comment right after you posted.

Whose reading comprehension sucks, again?
Ha nice try. Fail.
Your first post since my posts and your history says otherwise

Don't know if this has been discussed here. But if not, I'd appreciate comments from some of the knowledgeable people on this forum.

The doctor's argument seems compelling, but ...

Would love for ivermectin to work, as I worked on the drug a bit in the late 80s/early 90s, but this looks like another HCQ, as both are anti-parasitic compounds that show in-vitro activity against SARS-CoV-2, but have shown mixed results in clinical trials, to date, except HCQ was completely ineffective in every well run RCT (randomized controlled trial) and I don't think any well run RCTs have been run on ivermectin so far.

Given some promising results, I'd have no issue with running a well-controlled trial, but I agree with the NIH Guidelines on Ivermectin to only allow use in such approved trials and not to get an EUA for use in COVID patients. Especially because the dose that would be needed to attain the blood levels seen to have an antiviral effect in-vitro is 100X the approved human dose (as an anti-parasitic - it's been fantastic for river blindness for decades at very low doses).

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9768999400

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/

Was discussed at length yesterday. Dr. Kory means well, but has very weak data on ivermectin, which most experts think is unlikely to prove effective for COVID, but we'd need a well run clinical trial to prove that.

Ha nice try. Fail.
Your first post since my posts and your history says otherwise

Ok, nutbag. Think what you like ...world's out to get you.

It's actually quite obvious who prompted that comment. Context clues are part of reading comprehension ...GO!

Good to see the OWS announcement come out; background info on the Oncoimmune antibody drug in the post from last month, above - it's a very challenging biological process, which is why Merck got involved on the manufacturing end. Also, as the Bloomberg article noted, Merck's antiviral drug monupiravir (discovered years ago at Emory University and looking for a disease to treat) should have clinical results in January.

The interesting thing about the anti-inflammatory drug that got the OWS support is that it's targeted at severely ill COVID patients in the hospital, while the antiviral is targeted at mild to moderately ill COVID patients, much like remdesivir and the Regeneron/Lilly antibody drugs, where they look to be most effective.

Given the numbers in the US of severely ill patients are far, far smaller than mildly ill ones, there likely would be enough doses of the anti-inflammatory drug for anyone who needed it, while at current infection rates there are nowhere near enough doses of the drugs for mildly ill patients in the US or certainly worldwide. That will obviously change once many to most are vaccinated.

Yeah at first when I saw only 100k doses for the anti inflammatory, I was disappointed. But gotta remember severe cases are much lower and having that many available by first half of next year should be enough.

Fingers crossed for the antiviral pill results in January.

Great question. One of my good buddies has an autoimmune disease and he's been told by his GP that it would be best to wait until conclusive studies are done on that segment of the population.

Sucks for him though as he is certainly in the at-risk group even though he's only 29 and otherwise healthy. At the same time this is why mandatory vaccines are going to be a flop. What if it takes a year for this subset to be properly analyzed? Are we going to bar people like him from participating in society? This is more of a question for the EU as there are already bills in EU parliament to restrict the non-vaccinated from using things like public transportation or shopping for essentials.
Get used to the idea of wearing that mask for another year.
"If it saves one life..."

I wonder how feasible it would be to make available to everyone a med that is not now commonly used. How many doses would be inticated?

The FLCCC website has their current recommendations for outpatient treatment. See, for example

FLCCC COVID TREATMENT

You can also search for evms covid protocols.

Basically they recommend 2 doses separated by 1 day as early as possible after symptoms develop. Dose is weight dependent, around 12-16 mg for most people.

Very few physicians will prescribe it but there are other ways to acquire ivermectin if you really want it.

As for comments by others about the data being "weak" - well, I'm going based on what these front line doctors are saying. Paul Marik for example is well known, has published many research papers, has written textbooks on critical care medicine that are widely used. Kory and others in the group were among the first to recognize the importance of steroids in treatment of covid that has progressed to the pulmonary phase. Remember that SOP initially was to NOT give steroids. Eventually the recovery trial results convinced everyone that steroids were essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT