ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked a couple pages ago about concerns with allergic reactions after drive through vaccinations. Looks like they are simply asking people to stick around for 15min to be safe.

Thanks for the link. That was me who asked.

I’d drink a glass of wine served by Melanie McGuire celebrating a new home purchase before I’d take this Big Pharma cocktail which is safe they’re so fast to tell us. My vaccine is a multi plus extra vitamin D. Haven’t been sick in years. Not even a cold

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I’d drink a glass of wine served by Melanie McGuire celebrating a new home purchase before I’d take this Big Pharma cocktail which is safe they’re so fast to tell us. My vaccine is a multi plus extra vitamin D. Haven’t been sick in years. Not even a cold

Forrest Gump, is that you?

Reactions: Greg2020 and RU5781
Why aren’t we using military doctors and nurses to assist in the vaccination process? It seems hospitals are having a hard time dealing with covid cases AND vaccinating people. Seems like a big hole in the distribution strategy.

Do you want that on your tombstone?

Reactions: scripts
Why aren’t we using military doctors and nurses to assist in the vaccination process? It seems hospitals are having a hard time dealing with covid cases AND vaccinating people. Seems like a big hole in the distribution strategy.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. The plan to get everyone vaccinated stopped at delivery to the states. No universal plan after that.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. The plan to get everyone vaccinated stopped at delivery to the states. No universal plan after that.
Why should Trump have a plan , biden said he was going to take care of it. If he can remember.

Why should Trump have a plan , biden said he was going to take care of it. If he can remember.
This isn't about politics. This is about poor planning and people believing doing this was going to be easy.
And before any of you want to compare this to how everyone gets the flu shot. Stop and think about the difference before you say something incredibly stupid.

Reactions: scripts and pmvon
This isn't about politics. This is about poor planning and people believing doing this was going to be easy.
And before any of you want to compare this to how everyone gets the flu shot. Stop and think about the difference before you say something incredibly stupid.
My friend please calm down , joey did say that but I am KIDDING . :DeadHorse: :BeatDeadHorse:

My friend please calm down , joey did say that but I am KIDDING . :DeadHorse: :BeatDeadHorse:
So you do know how to use an emoji. Maybe you should use them when you make a post that you think is funny. That would change it from serious to just dumb.

We should be amping up the vaccination process. While I think it will get going, it seems we could be doing it more quickly if we had a plan to do so. Distributing to states is only part of the process. Probably should have been training additional folks to administer the vaccine as well as using the military including the national guard in my view. Of course, that would have to be coordinated with the number of vaccines available.

My grandfather used to put his shoes in the NW corner of his bedroom each night before sleeping. He swore that was the secret to his long life. He died in his sleep at 96 after walking 18 holes at the club. You and he have similar strategies toward health and longevity. I bet you live just as long!

Why do some of you think the vaccine should be madatory for everyone? Most people I know who are educated and somewhat to very successful do not want to take it. Even the nurses i know who are being forced to take it.
Why because the newness and uncertainty In any new vaccines plus the initial fear put out by the news at CNN. , MSNBC, late nite talk show shills, and of course Lady Kamala and Joe “ woodshed” Biden... there is fear in anything new or different... were the flu vaccines new at one time? ... well I haven’t seen many turn it down so far...

No whomever removed the temporary hospitals like the Javits Center ...everyone settled back in during the summer knowing very well it was likely to do what it has done... Oh and the military branches are able to assist as they did the first time around... Don’t worry “ woodshed “ will lead us to victory.

Derek Lowe weighed in today on the issues associated with new variants in the UK and South Africa, largely aligned with the posts I've made, so far, on this, with regard to the big picture, as per the excerpt below. His basic message is we need more data/studies to truly understand whether these variants are more infectious (possible, but certainly not proven yet), more deadly (unlikely), or have any ability to evade antibodies from one's immune system or activated by a vaccine (again, unlikely).

However, he dives much more deeply into the actual mutations, which make for interesting reading and has a nice discussion of the work going on feverishly now to assess the nature and risks from these variants - and includes links to even deeper scientific papers/analyses of these variants if interested. Enjoy and as I said yesterday, "remain calm!"

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/12/22/the-new-mutations

So I think the amount of scientific attention being paid to these new strains is completely appropriate. The popular press might be another story. It’s important to remember that (as mentioned) we haven’t even established for sure that these strains are in fact more infectious, and that we don’t know a thing yet for sure about what effect they have in humans compared to the other variants. So if you see any headlines about Relentless March of the Supervirus, go read something else, because that stuff is (fortunately) way out ahead of the facts on the ground. These are by no means the last variants like these that we’re going to be seeing, and we need to learn how to cover them in a responsible way.

So what’s coming next, and when we will know more? We will have animal-model data coming soon to tell us something about infectiousness, and there are already studies underway using human antibody mixtures (from infected patients and vaccinated ones) to see if these new strains are any less susceptible to our immune response. This will be a matter of weeks; I wouldn’t expect to see any clarity before then. And that’s also at least the time scale we would need to start confirming the clinical effects in the human population – you can be sure that medical centers around the world will be monitoring patients who have been confirmed with these variants to see if there are any differences. We’ll also want to know how these look in different age cohorts, in people with pre-existing conditions, and so on, but all of this will take irreducible amounts of time to get a meaningful picture.

My speculations are worth what you’re paying for them. But I think that odds are reasonable that UK strain, based on what we’re seeing so far, may well be more infectious than the existing ones. I hope I’m wrong about that, and I want to re-emphasize that I very well could be. At the same murky level of clarity, I’m not seeing anything so far that makes me think that it causes a worse form of the disease, and I very much hope that I’m not wrong about that. As for vaccine effects, my money is on the antibody response from the vaccines still being protective – and that’s going to be some of the first hard data that we get, because those are some of the most straightforward experiments to run. Updates as we get them.

I have heard the UK mutation ( can we really label it as such since calling it the China Virus was insensitive) may have actually originated from another land. Although addressing spread from the UK is paramount, there may be another tree to bark up.

I can't believe GoRU(?) didn't post this release about Cytodyn's leronlimab monoclonal antibody drug, which is a CCR5 (chemokine receptor) antagonist that has been repurposed for COVID to help halt over-inflammatory responses to the virus in severely ill COVID patients. They completed their phase III enrollment and expect results in mid-January. Let's hope it works - I'm sure he has a lot invested and can donate millions to RU football should the drug work.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.com/...ere-to-critical-covid-19-patients-937181.html

Not me, but someone with a relatively similar name to mine. He was pumping this company up like nobody's business. I was excited back a ways on the dual, therapeutic properties of the medicine to fight the virus. Management appeared to make a series of missteps along the way to get approval and the questionable timing of a large stock sale by its leader (albeit with a plausible explanation) raised more than a few eyebrows. I haven't read much on the company in months but I am hopeful the trials confirm the proposed, therapeutic benefits of Leronlimab.

Reactions: Greg2020
The best part about this thread is seeing the guys who have complained about masks, shutdowns, etc every, single step of the way now railing against the vaccine that could help bring us back to normality.
I don't know if I'd say that's the best thing but point still made

My suggestion? Prove your masculinity by getting the shots like most children are able to do instead of sniping on a message board, sweet heart. There are 48 pages of pretty interesting science here. Reading them won’t hurt any more than the vaccine will.

Masculinity can be proved by taking a vaccine that was developed and approved at Warp Speed? See below on what I highlighted.

Curious question. Was reading a few instances last week that people receiving the shots were monitored for a few minutes afterwards by doctors to make sure there were no adverse effects of the vaccine.
Is this safe?

Time will tell once we have more data (I hope). Unfortunately, I have heard of some adverse events occurring shortly after administration of the vaccine which have caught my attention. It could be coincidental but the circumstances and reports that I have heard make me wonder if there is a correlation.

I like your thought process..stay healthy and keep it up!

Why do some of you think the vaccine should be madatory for everyone? Most people I know who are educated and somewhat to very successful do not want to take it. Even the nurses i know who are being forced to take it.

Have you heard of nurses being forced to take this vaccine? Highly suggested maybe? Or coerced? I'm just curious as it is only voluntary at this time in our facility and I have not heard of it being mandatory in some other facilities. I do think it will be a requirement for employment in the near future for many, at least in the healthcare profession and high risk jobs.

Masculinity can be proved by taking a vaccine that was developed and approved at Warp Speed? See below on what I highlighted.

Time will tell once we have more data (I hope). Unfortunately, I have heard of some adverse events occurring shortly after administration of the vaccine which have caught my attention. It could be coincidental but the circumstances and reports that I have heard make me wonder if there is a correlation.

I like your thought process..stay healthy and keep it up!

Have you heard of nurses being forced to take this vaccine? Highly suggested maybe? Or coerced? I'm just curious as it is only voluntary at this time in our facility and I have not heard of it being mandatory in some other facilities. I do think it will be a requirement for employment in the near future for many, at least in the healthcare profession and high risk jobs.
IIRC out of 40,000 (could be half that if I’m misremembering and it was one trial, but a very large number regardless), there were 4 cases of Bell’s palsy and 64 cases of lymph node inflammation. The Bell’s palsy cases are potentially statistical noise and the lymph node inflammation makes sense as it’s likely proof of the vaccine working (which also explains why reactions have been more pronounced in younger people with stronger immune systems). Outside of the trials, I think there were 6 anaphylactic reactions, mainly in people with histories of severe allergies.

Tl;dr Very small numbers of short term reactions in very large number of administered doses.

I have heard the UK mutation ( can we really label it as such since calling it the China Virus was insensitive) may have actually originated from another land. Although addressing spread from the UK is paramount, there may be another tree to bark up.

Not me, but someone with a relatively similar name to mine. He was pumping this company up like nobody's business. I was excited back a ways on the dual, therapeutic properties of the medicine to fight the virus. Management appeared to make a series of missteps along the way to get approval and the questionable timing of a large stock sale by its leader (albeit with a plausible explanation) raised more than a few eyebrows. I haven't read much on the company in months but I am hopeful the trials confirm the proposed, therapeutic benefits of Leronlimab.
It was goru7 - the search functionality on this site is decent, but not great. It's good if looking for an unusual keyword, like "lernolimab" but much harder to find less obvious posts. I wish the default was to order search items by date and not relevance (same problem on FB), as it takes an extra two clicks to order by date, which is annoying.

A quick update on my dad. He’s now on day 6 and my mom called an ambulance last night as he was very confused, was coughing a lot and had a moderate temp. They finally admitted him to the hospital but he is in an ER room, has 103 temp and confused. The nurse says he’s a candidate for remdesivir but no longer Bamlan. Hoping he’s in a place that can give him the best treatment.

Weird that I’m sharing here but hopefully these discussions inform everyone about the current state of affairs and real issues affecting people and our healthcare system.

Reactions: scripts
A quick update on my dad. He’s now on day 6 and my mom called an ambulance last night as he was very confused, was coughing a lot and had a moderate temp. They finally admitted him to the hospital but he is in an ER room, has 103 temp and confused. The nurse says he’s a candidate for remdesivir but no longer Bamlan. Hoping he’s in a place that can give him the best treatment.

Weird that I’m sharing here but hopefully these discussions inform everyone about the current state of affairs and real issues affecting people and our healthcare system.
Praying for your Dad and your family ... the system is broken and especially under these circumstances ... an elderly person such as he should have been treated and admitted sooner .

I’m frustrated just reading your post. I can’t even imagine how the Bamlan conversations go.

“Sorry, you’re not eligible for bamlan. You need that earlier.”

“I was here the other day for it and you wouldn’t give it to me”

“Who’s on first?”

My brother is an engineer for the VA and he got the vaccine yesterday

I was surprised he qualified to receive it so quickly. He is in his early 50s and in perfect health

Sorry to hear your father did not get any better and was admitted to the hospital . I looked through a few of your updates on him. Your frustrations are warranted. As you stated, he wasn't a candidate for admission early on based on his condition. Day 6 is a frequent time patients can decline and his condition certainly warrants admission now. Hospitals have been packed. "Admitting" him to a room in the ER tells me the hospital is pretty full or they have an additional Covid area set up in the ER because the other Covid units don't have available beds. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Greg2020 and pmvon

I'm sorry to hear this.
I hope he gets the treatment he needs and is feeling better soon.

Reactions: Greg2020 and pmvon
My brother is an engineer for the VA and he got the vaccine yesterday

I was surprised he qualified to receive it so quickly. He is in his early 50s and in perfect health
Military VA. I guess whether working around many people? ... hospitals... hey they’re vaccinating convicted felons so why not? But The poster whose dad is very sick get’s cast aside... there will be many cutting the line and that is POLITICS at it’s best.

Military VA. I guess whether working around many people? ... hospitals... hey they’re vaccinating convicted felons so why not? But The poster whose dad is very sick get’s cast aside... there will be many cutting the line and that is POLITICS at it’s best.

I don’t believe my brother cut the line. I believe he signed up and they told him when he was scheduled.

I don’t believe my brother cut the line. I believe he signed up and they told him when he was scheduled.
I did not say, “ your brother cut the line”... WTF are you smoking? Better pass it around though... What did I say? “ ... SOME will cut the line and that is POLITICS... 2016 and forwards...it’s always been this way and I’m not losing my mind over it...

I did not say, “ your brother cut the line”... WTF are you smoking? Better pass it around though... What did I say? “ ... SOME will cut the line and that is POLITICS... 2016 and forwards...it’s always been this way and I’m not losing my mind over it...
I’m glad your brother got the vaccine ... it’s not an issue.

The link below is to a 2019 WHO study on Non-pharmaceutical public health measures for mitigating the risk and impact of epidemic and pandemic influenza.

Table 35 on page 100 of the pdf says with respect to masks:
"Ten RCTs were included in meta-analysis, and there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

Sorry if this has been covered here, but other than Covid-19 being much more easily transmitted, is there something different about Covid-19 vs. influenza that the authorities have seen or know about with respect to Covid-19 that shows masks are effective for Covid-19.

Reactions: bac2therac
The link below is to a 2019 WHO study on Non-pharmaceutical public health measures for mitigating the risk and impact of epidemic and pandemic influenza.

Table 35 on page 100 of the pdf says with respect to masks:
"Ten RCTs were included in meta-analysis, and there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza."

Sorry if this has been covered here, but other than Covid-19 being much more easily transmitted, is there something different about Covid-19 vs. influenza that the authorities have seen or know about with respect to Covid-19 that shows masks are effective for Covid-19.

Yes , there is significant proof it is political and so it is easily spread among the population... I can’t believe people especially the scientific community has found them not culpable in the their failure to properly examine the Chinese Lab... they must be paying out great bribes amongst government officials in the USA and around the free world.

Reactions: bac2therac
My wife’s hospital where she works is administering the vaccine quite orderly and efficiently. She is part of the process as a pharmacist. Not sure about these people who expect something else at this point. It’s a scientific miracle to be doing this at all this soon. I saw my doctor Thursday at the hospital for a checkup. The hospital received the Moderna vaccine Monday night and he had it personally Wednesday morning.
My wife went on their intranet and scheduled her first shot for Tuesday the 29th but could have gone this weekend even. She is mixing and delivering it. You people who hate on the process should maybe stay in your lane and let those doing this work do it as best they can. Progress is occurring and either get in line or get the F out the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT