ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they held back in nJ. Phil and Judy evidently knew and allowed this to go on. BRILLIANT ...
I haven't heard anyone holding a 2nd dose back. They used what the got expecting that Pfizer and Moderna were in charge of that. Turns out no one was doing it. States asked for the reserves and there wasn't any.

Another study showing what’s becoming more and more obvious
No! Can't be possible! I've been blasted for saying the same thing for 10 months now. Who knew that social distancing was way more important? Besides me of course! The clowns on here who think they are smarter and know better are the first to post and shame you for the truth.

From the article:

“The editor-in-chief of that journal, Christine Laine, MD, co-authored an editorial that’s running alongside the study.

Asked if she’d been afraid to publish the study, Laine said, “Afraid is probably not the right word.”

“We thought it was important to publish it, but we were concerned about the risk that people who did not carefully consider the question that this trial was able to answer would misinterpret it, either because they didn’t understand the study or purposefully to support their own beliefs about the effectiveness of masks.”

Laine’s editorial

“We must first emphasize that this trial does not address the first question about transmission in communities where most people wear masks and does notdisprove the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing.”

“the study examined the effect of recommending mask use, not the effect of actually wearing them.”

Reactions: Greg2020
Suprised no one is talking about Manaus, Brazil.

They were hammered in their first wave bad enough to where herd immunity was estimated at 70-80% of the population by October. People were even celebrating that they were now immune as a city. Fast forward to now and they are just getting decimated by their second wave. According to their health services 50-60% of current cases are actually reinfections but that is yet to be confirmed.

I touched on this back a little ways. The British variant strain that has everyone's attention is believed to have originated in South America. The reinfection rates might very well be indicative of this new variant.

See the post above yours. No chance 50-60% are reinfections and no chance they hit 70-80% the first time around. Would love to see articles proving this.

See above. If it is in fact a new strain that bypasses the immunologic response of the original source of contagion, it's possible there could be very high rates of reinfection.

Another study showing what’s becoming more and more obvious

Yes this confirms what has been discussed in the medical community for many, many decades. Surgical masks do not protect people very well from outside bacteria and viruses. Thats why N95 masks were developed as they prevent 95% FROM GOING IN. Surgical masks are designed to prevent outgoing particles from being dispersed into the surrounding environment. The more dispersion, the more likely the spread of the illness to a larger percentage of those around. We dont need a Danish study to quantify common sense. These people wasted their time doing a study on something already well established. The unfortunate part is people now read these results and think masks do not work...period. The "see I told you so crowd" needs to decipher what is being said in this paper, and it's not what you think.

In Murphy’s press conference last week they said they only get 100,000 doses a week. Hope those reserves are coming cause that’s not gonna cut it.

In Murphy’s press conference last week they said they only get 100,000 doses a week. Hope those reserves are coming cause that’s not gonna cut it.
What reserves?? Haven't you watched the news? All reserves are gone.

What reserves?? Haven't you watched the news? All reserves are gone.

I thought that ended up being fake news? Not sure what to believe tbh.

I thought that ended up being fake news? Not sure what to believe tbh.

No it's real. CEO of Pfizer was on TV yesterday admitting it.

You know what channel? Would like to see that. Bizarre that senior officials at Pfizer said they have the doses late Friday afternoon
ABC or NBC on the morning shows. And he said Friday they were just asked for them. He didn't say they didn't have any in "reserve"

Somewhat concerning. I assume Gottlieb is considered a reliable source for this sort of stuff.

Fortunately, the vaccines are very likely to still be effective for the UK/South African variants, based on testing done by BioNTech/Pfizer (and this probably is true for the very similar Moderna vaccine too). The mRNA vaccines produce a polyclonal antibody response, whereas the 1 or 2 monoclonal antibody drugs have less "breadth" to prevent viral "escape" from a mutated virus.

The other issue with some of these variants is it's possible previously infected people might have lower immunity from reinfection from these variants, which has been postulated to be part of the reason why the surprising current outbreak in Manuas, Brazil (where probably 60+% were already infected) is occurring (2nd link).

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/cov...vaccine-is-effective-against-new-strains.html

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...se-more-reinfections-require-updated-vaccines

https://warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents..._comment_-_new_brazilian_variant_of_covid-191

Last edited:
Read an article in the Telegraph this morning about the longer term impact of Covid. A significant number of people being readmitted to the hospital with serious illness and a large percentage dying.
I will try to post the article later

Parents had vaccine appointments for this week in Florida. They just told me a private clinic that was set up to administer in a large community folded up its tent. No info beyond that.

Parents had vaccine appointments for this week in Florida. They just told me a private clinic that was set up to administer in a large community folded up its tent. No info beyond that.
Not good but I can see this happening more over the next several weeks. Sorry for your parents unfortunate luck.

A bad batch from Moderna? This isn't good.

Well, it IS California LOL. Last year I bought a portable camp table made of an aluminum frame and plastic top. It came with a California state warning that it caused cancer!!!! So I decided not to eat it! Really, the state is off the charts with screwballs.

Well, it IS California LOL. Last year I bought a portable camp table made of an aluminum frame and plastic top. It came with a California state warning that it caused cancer!!!! So I decided not to eat it! Really, the state is off the charts with screwballs.
What does California have to do with Moderna producing a potential bad batch of a vaccine?

What does the high allergic reactions have to do California's crazy ideas? One has nothing to due with the other. Agree they are wacky with some of their ideas but that is a high number of reactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT