ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Craig Carton will be back at WFAN as per NJ.com

Ironic that a gambling addict and con man gets a job back on a station where every other commercial is for an online betting service, fantasy leagues and point spreads, parlays and such are constant topics of discussion with callers always looking for advice.

Ironic that a gambling addict and con man gets a job back on a station where every other commercial is for an online betting service, fantasy leagues and point spreads, parlays and such are constant topics of discussion with callers always looking for advice.
Easy to predict a relapse . I would “Bet” on it

Craig Carton makes his WFAN debut today: Here’s when he’ll be on

But fans can get a sneak peak today when Carton is on the air at 5 p.m. And here’s the best part, according to WFAN’s Al Dukes:

Craig will be on by himself, later today from 5-6pm. Tell ya friends...and giddy up

Joe has been talking about retirement way before this. So they needed a replacement. Bad choice.

I listened first 10 minutes or so . He basically said he can use the platform to talk about responsibility and the negatives of gambling, while also promoting gambling websites . But he won’t be picking games with spreads or talking spreads . His new partner will.
He also brought up the sexual abuse he said he went through at camp at 11 years old . He said that is what caused him to be a gambling addict .
To me he sounds like the typical con man and gambler that is only remorseful because he got in too deep and faced consequences . He is getting a second chance, and it shouldn’t be in a sports radio environment fueled by gambling . He should go play music or talk politics somewhere. My “bet” is he falters. You can never trust a gambling addict . Hope he proves me wrong.

Great first hour, very entertaining. Carton and Roberts may be Mike and the Mad Dog 2.0. Complimentary personalities.
Neither know shitt about sports. He was better suited to that drive time show on NJ 101.5. You know those two will talk more politics than sports.

Carton jokingly brought up Rutgers winning the big ten after he said him and Roberts are going to bring a revival of New York sports haha

Looks like WFAN has decided that felon Craig Carton is their savior with all of their multiple social media posts yesterday. You know what happens when you make the deal with the Devil, eh?

Looks like WFAN has decided that felon Craig Carton is their savior with all of their multiple social media posts yesterday. You know what happens when you make the deal with the Devil, eh?
So Carton shouldn't have a job at WFAN but Steve Cohen can own the Mets?

Neither know shitt about sports. He was better suited to that drive time show on NJ 101.5. You know those two will talk more politics than sports.

The internet, blogs, pod casts and other information is better suited for finding valued information and good takes on sports. Sports radio is mostly for personal stories or opinionated hot takes from hosts, interviews and callers mostly complaining about their teams/players.

Carton may be a low life, but he has always garnered ratings wherever he's been. In a capitalistic society and advertising revenue driven media outlet, he was re-hired for that reason and that reason alone.

So Carton shouldn't have a job at WFAN but Steve Cohen can own the Mets?
Unlike George Steinbrenner, who plead guilty, and Carton, who was convicted, Cohen "WAS NEVER CHARGED WITH A CRIME" And settled out of court. Dont be a hypocrite, now.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Unlike George Steinbrenner, who plead guilty, and Carton, who was convicted, Cohen "WAS NEVER CHARGED WITH A CRIME" And settled out of court. Dont be a hypocrite, now.
He settled because he has billions and was able to pay the right lawyers to make such a deal. Cohen broke the law. He's a white collar criminal just like Carton.

I'm interested to hear what the new show sounds like. Man paid his price, hopefully he learned his lesson.

I'm interested to hear what the new show sounds like. Man paid his price, hopefully he learned his lesson.
Yes, he should get a second chance somewhere. WFAN is not doing him any favors by putting him back in that environment . And I am surprised no one close to carton has maybe told him this is a bad idea . It’s like an alcoholic going to bartend.

Ever watch a Matthew Broderick movie? He killed 2 while driving. How about anything with Charles Dutton? Convicted of manslaughter. Like Willie Nelson? Convicted of tax evasion. Watch any of Mike Tyson's fights? How about any of his movies?

I get it if you don't like his schtick. Absolutely understand . I don't like Howard Stern, so I don't listen. I didn't like Carton at first either, but i grew to like him and will listen on my way home from work now.

... And Steinbrenner
The Steinbrenner comment is not the same because:
1) He was already the long term owner
2) Almost every Yankee fan wanted him gone at the time
3) Him being banned set the Yankees on the path for 4 WS in 5 years

Mets fans want and need a savior. The Wilpons have been a joke for years. Even as Yankee fan I am glad to see them finally gone. I hope he can run a 1st class organization if DeBlasio gets out of the way.

The Steinbrenner comment is not the same because:
1) He was already the long term owner
2) Almost every Yankee fan wanted him gone at the time
3) Him being banned set the Yankees on the path for 4 WS in 5 years

Mets fans want and need a savior. The Wilpons have been a joke for years. Even as Yankee fan I am glad to see them finally gone. I hope he can run a 1st class organization if DeBlasio gets out of the way.

DeBlasio has some nerve when he wants a rent moratorium for everyone else.

Cartons a criminal. Further proof how our society is slipping as he gets a job again while others following the rules still remain unemployed.
Guys a loser criminal.
hmmm... I wonder what he knows about certain bigwigs in that organization. maybe had the chance to roll over on them.. give the prosecution a bigger name to go after.. but he kept his mouth shut.

there has to be a reason that some douche like him gets hired and now rehired.

If he goes, they should pair Evan up with someone who actually knows and talks sports.

Evan and Chris Carlin would be a good sports duo.
Ugh. No Carlin. He’s horrible. I know he’s a Rutgers guy so we are supposed to like him, but his takes are just bad most times.

Carton is smart, quirky and eccentric - people like that grab attention
I think he's better better since his downfall but I cant listen to the show too much
Carton and Roberts do a lot of "bicker chit-chat."
They can be talking about a sports topic and suddenly veer off into tangents of disagreement not sports related

BTW, FWIW Gio has turned out to be an insufferable listen in the three years since my OP.

Oh well, he’s the one making millions while I type this on my phone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT