ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cranford wins North Group 3 Section 2 Baseball Title

Groz

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
I am in a great mood today. Saw my Cranford Cougars win their sectional baseball title in North Group 3, section 2 over Millburn in Millburn. Millburn was the #1 seed and Cranford was #3.

Cranford gave up a rare 4 spot in the 1st(including a long 3 run homer) and trailed 5-1 in the top of the 6th, when we scored 4 runs to tie the game and then scored 5 more in the 7th to go on and win 10-8 against a tough Millburn team.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Just one sectional title?
Oh that’s nice. 😉

New Providence won their 4th straight North 2 - Group 1 title today with another blowout (with a score of 8-3 this was actually the closest game in the state tournament so far).

I’m sure it felt good for Cranford Coach McCaffery to beat Millburn Coach Chapman after last years end game controversy.

Are any of Chapman’s kids still playing for Cranford?

Reactions: Groz
Just one sectional title?
Oh that’s nice. 😉

New Providence won their 4th straight North 2 - Group 1 title today with another blowout (with a score of 8-3 this was actually the closest game in the state tournament so far).
Didn't want to brag and I didn't have time to write all of our sectional titles and state titles and about being the "Last Dance" champion of the WHOLE state in 2020.

I will put Cranford baseball up against any school in the state the last 20+ years. Even in my years there in the 70's, we were real good(problem was Union was the best)

We were ranked 6th in the state and Millburn was ranked 8th when we played today.

I was hoping to play New Providence in the Union County Final this year, which we won again for the 11th time since 1999. But New Providence found a way to lose to 11th seed Dayton in the semis......... Actually, congrats on your sectional title this year.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I’m sure it felt good for Cranford Coach McCaffery to beat Millburn Coach Chapman after last years end game controversy.

Are any of Chapman’s kids still playing for Cranford?
It was a nice win after last year's heartbreaker. Matt is a junior this year.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Groz
You have to have multiple kids going on to play in college to maintain the level Cranford does.
Where are they going?
You’re talking to a guy that understands playing D3 baseball in college is a MAJOR accomplishment reserved for gifted high school players.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
By the way, why post this on basketball site?
I could have put it on the football site, but because I post much more on basketball, I just put it here. If I put it where the baseball is talked about, few people would ever see it.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Groz
You have to have multiple kids going on to play in college to maintain the level Cranford does.
Where are they going?
You’re talking to a guy that understands playing D3 baseball in college is a MAJOR accomplishment reserved for gifted high school players.
Zappaa,

As you and I talked about at the Rutgers Club before the Hoops game, Cranford has been so good for so long in baseball. What is crazy is that most of the kids do go on to play in college, but not at many major schools.

The most prominent on this team is the 3B, Ryan Jaros, who is a junior and is a big-time prospect. I don't want to jinx him because I sit next to and talk with his father and grandfather at every game, but he committed to go to Georgia Tech during his freshman year(the year Cranford won the Last Dance State Tournament during the pandemic). CC Sabathia's son is going to Georgia Tech next year and Marquis Grissom's son is there already.

If you look him up, Ryan is considered the 1st or 2nd best player in the state and can be a pretty high draft pick.(then he will have to make the big decision, but it is still over a year away). He is a 6 foot-4 third baseman, with a cannon of an arm and really barrels up when hitting the ball.

A bunch of the Cranford players have gone the junior college route at Brookdale also. A pitcher from a few years ago, Gordon Graceffo, went to Villanova and is now one of the Cardinals top pitching prospects.(probably threw 89-90 in high school and now throws 97-99!). A couple are at Montclair State now.

There are probably 7 kids that played and starred in football also and as we have talked about, being a well rounded athlete, usually is better than getting "burnt" out by only concentrating on one sport.

The main constant is the coach, Dennis McCaffery. I will again state that he is the best baseball coach in all of state, if not the US.(Big statement, but his record speaks for itself if you look up Cranford baseball)

Best of Luck,
Groz

Zappaa,

As you and I talked about at the Rutgers Club before the Hoops game, Cranford has been so good for so long in baseball. What is crazy is that most of the kids do go on to play in college, but not at many major schools.

The most prominent on this team is the 3B, Ryan Jaros, who is a junior and is a big-time prospect. I don't want to jinx him because I sit next to and talk with his father and grandfather at every game, but he committed to go to Georgia Tech during his freshman year(the year Cranford won the Last Dance State Tournament during the pandemic). CC Sabathia's son is going to Georgia Tech next year and Marquis Grissom's son is there already.

If you look him up, Ryan is considered the 1st or 2nd best player in the state and can be a pretty high draft pick.(then he will have to make the big decision, but it is still over a year away). He is a 6 foot-4 third baseman, with a cannon of an arm and really barrels up when hitting the ball.

A bunch of the Cranford players have gone the junior college route at Brookdale also. A pitcher from a few years ago, Gordon Graceffo, went to Villanova and is now one of the Cardinals top pitching prospects.(probably threw 89-90 in high school and now throws 97-99!). A couple are at Montclair State now.

There are probably 7 kids that played and starred in football also and as we have talked about, being a well rounded athlete, usually is better than getting "burnt" out by only concentrating on one sport.

The main constant is the coach, Dennis McCaffery. I will again state that he is the best baseball coach in all of state, if not the US.(Big statement, but his record speaks for itself if you look up Cranford baseball)

Best of Luck,
Groz

It really is amazing how baseball focused than town is. Our oldest is on 3 different teams. High school kids are all great to the younger players - they’re like local celebrities to the middle schoolers.

Another Cranford guy (obviously). Awesome stuff. Both my kids have graduated, but my daughter dates a former Cranford player who plays D3 now. His younger brother got the save last night. He was Cranford's QB and is playing D3 football next year. My son played rec ball for years and Ryan Jaros' father was his coach for a couple of seasons along the way.

Reactions: zappaa
Zappaa,

Best of Luck,
Groz

I’ve heard Ryan already has a Kobe-like work ethic.

I’ve heard Ryan already has a Kobe-like work ethic.
Yes, and he is the nicest kid besides being a great player, also. The whole family is really nice. The older brother is studying engineering at RU.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Nice thread, Groz. I've known Brian Chapman for a long time. My first job (9/87 thru 1/91) after graduating from Rutgers in 1987 was as a sportswriter at The Daily Journal in Elizabeth. While playing at Kean, Chapman worked part-time on the paper's sports staff. I knew he'd be a baseball lifer. Loves the game. He's passed his love for it to his children.

Last edited:
Didn't want to brag and I didn't have time to write all of our sectional titles and state titles and about being the "Last Dance" champion of the WHOLE state in 2020.

I will put Cranford baseball up against any school in the state the last 20+ years. Even in my years there in the 70's, we were real good(problem was Union was the best)

We were ranked 6th in the state and Millburn was ranked 8th when we played today.

I was hoping to play New Providence in the Union County Final this year, which we won again for the 11th time since 1999. But New Providence found a way to lose to 11th seed Dayton in the semis......... Actually, congrats on your sectional title this year.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Stupid Dayton.

I only moved here a couple years ago.
Had no idea the HS teams were so good.
Need to spend more time following them.

My 6yo just finished his first season of tee-ball and loved it.
Going to take him to the game on Monday against Waldrick. It's here in town.

Very good friends with Dennis, and obvious objectivity aside, can’t imagine there’s a NJ coach who matches his track record of success.

I know Cranford has been outstanding in baseball for many years. Congratulations Groz to you and all of Cranford.

The guy who set the foundation for Cranford's run of excellence in baseball was Jamie Shriner who preceded McCaffrey. DM was on his staff and I believe they both went to Roselle Park HS. Shriner left to become the AD at Roselle Park.

New Providence beats Waldrick 8-2!!
Couldn't make it to the game because of work.

Group 1 Final is Saturday at Veterans Park in Hamilton against Woodstown HS.
Kids and I will be there.

The guy who set the foundation for Cranford's run of excellence in baseball was Jamie Shriner who preceded McCaffrey. DM was on his staff and I believe they both went to Roselle Park HS. Shriner left to become the AD at Roselle Park.
This is true. Jamie is an excellent coach and great guy also. I played softball with Jamie and his brother Mike. Tremendous athletes.

Best of Luck,
Groz

one bad day certainly doesn’t define someone’s character but years ago I had a kid playing for Millburn against Cranford in a Clark NJ 8u tournament. Shriner was the Cranford coach. I believe his kid was a big left handed batter. I think Jaros was on the team. It was a close game and Shriner was out of line all game ripping the ump and he finally got tossed while coaching third base, and rightfully so. And then he took his sweet time slowly walking across the field to his car. To put it mildly, a very bad look in an 8u game no less. Might have gone 12 innings if I recall. Great low scoring game. And until he left he was ruining it for both sides.

Are any of Chapman’s kids still playing for Cranford?good for them a few of my old softball & basketball boys kids are on the team. Played hoops softball with Chap well along with playing his ball with Dan O

Anyone see that Cranford is protesting their 5-4 8 inning loss yesterday to Middletown North in the Group 3 Final? Apparently there is a rule that a pitcher cannot throw more than 110 pitches in a game. The only exception is to finish off an at bat. The Middletown pitcher hit the 110 mark an then two more to finish off a batter. He then proceeded to finish the inning throwing 119 pitches in total. Evidently during the game there is someone assigned to monitor pitch counts but the responsibility falls to the coaches of the respective teams. There was a dispute during the game on the pitch count but the game was televised and McCaffrey went home watched the game and counted the pitches again and then had the AD file the protest. If upheld MNHS will have their win taken away via forfeit.

Anyone see that Cranford is protesting their 5-4 8 inning loss yesterday to Middletown North in the Group 3 Final? Apparently there is a rule that a pitcher cannot throw more than 110 pitches in a game. The only exception is to finish off an at bat. The Middletown pitcher hit the 110 mark an then two more to finish off a batter. He then proceeded to finish the inning throwing 119 pitches in total. Evidently during the game there is someone assigned to monitor pitch counts but the responsibility falls to the coaches of the respective teams. There was a dispute during the game on the pitch count but the game was televised and McCaffrey went home watched the game and counted the pitches again and then had the AD file the protest. If upheld MNHS will have their win taken away via forfeit.

Wow that's crazy.

I went down for the NP game (🤮).
They were displaying the pitch counts right on the scoreboard in center field so it should have been pretty obvious.

Yes, all the games were streamed on NJ.com.
The feed was a steady cam behind home plate.
Don't know if the stream also showed the score board (and the pitch counts).

one bad day certainly doesn’t define someone’s character but years ago I had a kid playing for Millburn against Cranford in a Clark NJ 8u tournament. Shriner was the Cranford coach. I believe his kid was a big left handed batter. I think Jaros was on the team. It was a close game and Shriner was out of line all game ripping the ump and he finally got tossed while coaching third base, and rightfully so. And then he took his sweet time slowly walking across the field to his car. To put it mildly, a very bad look in an 8u game no less. Might have gone 12 innings if I recall. Great low scoring game. And until he left he was ruining it for both sides.
That sounds a bit much for 8U. It's the level my son is playing right now and it would be a bit shocking for me to see coaches get on umps and/or ride them hard even for blatant blown calls.

ADVERTISEMENT