ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy Mike Lonergan/GWU story

Cliff notes: Before offering the job to Pike, Hobbs offered the job to Lonergan at $1.6M/yr. Also, AD at GW had some weird crush on one of the men’s b-ball players and may have slept with him. Also paid the player and took him out to dinners and offered his house up for the players. Lonergan thought that was weird and creepy and tried to get AD fired. AD retaliated by firing Lonergan. After all this, crazy pictures of the AD and students surfaced from Snapchat.

That wacko AD ruined Lonergan’s career. GWU really f’ed up.

GO RU

Did a little research online and it seems Karl Hobbs was let go a bit before Patrick Nero took over but after he was announced as the next AD at GW.

No way we could have hired a guy who was investigated for abusive behavior, legitimate or not.

Did a little research online and it seems Karl Hobbs was let go a bit before Patrick Nero took over but after he was announced as the next AD at GW.
According to the article Nero personally fired Hobbs even though he hadn't even moved into his office at George Washington. He clearly wanted to bring Lonergan down from Vermont.

how come ESPN really didnt cover this story
I'm not sure what you wanted ESPN to do coverage wise.

When the news about Lonergan broke they covered it like it was any other one or two day news story. Then in Sept. 2017 they covered the news that Lonergan had reached an out of court settlement with the school. Nobody died (Maryland), nobody had basketballs thrown at them (Rutgers) and, to my knowledge, none of it was captured on video (Rutgers) or audio.

When the stories about Lonergan came out I remember thinking "Horror of horrors, a coach yelled at his players and told them that they were soft." Then I heard about the alleged "food stamps" and "transgender league" comments and thought "Yeah, he's done."

I'm not sure what you wanted ESPN to do coverage wise.

When the news about Lonergan broke they covered it like it was any other one or two day news story. Then in Sept. 2017 they covered the news that Lonergan had reached an out of court settlement with the school. Nobody died (Maryland), nobody had basketballs thrown at them (Rutgers) and, to my knowledge, none of it was captured on video (Rutgers) or audio.

When the stories about Lonergan came out I remember thinking "Horror of horrors, a coach yelled at his players and told them that they were soft." Then I heard about the alleged "food stamps" and "transgender league" comments and thought "Yeah, he's done."

the new angle of the story..its the first I heard of this...is this the first time it has hit print?

the new angle of the story..its the first I heard of this...is this the first time it has hit print?
Probably. GW is probably the 5th CBB program the Washington Post would think of covering after Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech

According to the article Nero personally fired Hobbs even though he hadn't even moved into his office at George Washington. He clearly wanted to bring Lonergan down from Vermont.
Thanks for the info. I usually try to read things before commenting, but this one seemed a bit creepy with the subject matter, pictures, and all.

Probably. GW is probably the 5th CBB program the Washington Post would think of covering after Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech

Lonergan worked under Gary Williams at Maryland (basketball), which is the 2nd most popular sports team here behind the Redskins. WaPo gave GW decent coverage here while Lonergan was HC as he won (a bit) and had the Gary connection. The initial scandal was covered extensively as was the settlement (less so than the initial scandal). Good for Whoever is breaking this.

A lot of local sports guys like John Feinstein, Kornheiser and local radio guys were Lonergan guys and covered it. Gary Williams is still active (and beloved) in the media here. They always subtlety supported Lonergan and took shots at Nero.

PC run amok.. used for some persons interests.

Looks like the AD Nero might be gay.. so all he had to do was manufacture quotes against Lonergan that said he was a homophobe and might be trying to "out" Nero. Apparently it took a new provost, Forrest Maltzman, to buy that story and to fire Lonergan.

I wonder if Forrest Maltzman is gay. It seems like everyone before Maltzman did not give any credence to the stories, actually finding no evidence of Title IX bias infractions. But for Maltzman, there was enough evidence.

Sad.

For those who won't read to the end of that.. go to the end and read the quotes by the Seton Hall player who is openly gay and was recruited by Lonergan until he found out transferring in-conference means sitting out a year.

You're right: Nero was announced as the AD a week before , Hobbs could have been let go at his request by the outgoing AD.
>Hobbs' firing comes less than a week after Patrick Nero was introduced as George Washington's new athletic director. Jack Kvancz is stepping down from that position during the summer.<
https://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/George-Washington-fires-Karl-Hobbs-1352850.php

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT