ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy parents fight, was it worth it?

Article headline is misleading. the guy did not die at the game.

These people are absolutely nuts. they should all be in jail. People who fight at a 7th/8th grade game do not belong in society. Imagine what they would do if something that matters happens to them.

Just another example of some people shouldn't be parents. It's a middle school game that means nothing. As a parent of a middle school child who plays sports, I laugh at the parents that consistently yell at the refs and the coaches. I love the kids that look into the stands during games and talk to their parents too. To all parents that have kids that play sports: Stop embarrassing your children. Talk to them after the game at home about it. It's OK to fail. That's how you get better.

Parents are out of control. Last season I had a visibly drunk parent get in my face after a game (a game that we won by a lot). He put his hands on me, but my weight lifting obsessed young assistant coach, jumped in-between.

If and when I leave coaching it will be because of the parents.

Parents are out of control. Last season I had a visibly drunk parent get in my face after a game (a game that we won by a lot). He put his hands on me, but my weight lifting obsessed young assistant coach, jumped in-between.

Haha. One of my assistants went over to a drunk fan and had a brief conversation once. He shut up. My guy was ready to squash him like a grape.

100%
In all my years coaching I never had an issue with a player. The parents are the worst. We would have a meeting with parents laying out what is/is not acceptable. Not that it made a difference in behavior. Did make a ban much easier.
Any parent entering a player area of my team for the purpose of a fight would have ended up fighting me. No tolerance for that crap whatsoever.

Parents ruin sports. Especially parents of boys.

About a decade ago, right after I left college coaching and went back to the HS level, we had a parent storm into our football office screaming that because we were not starting his son we were hurting his chances for his eventual NFL contract.

Just another example of some people shouldn't be parents. It's a middle school game that means nothing. As a parent of a middle school child who plays sports, I laugh at the parents that consistently yell at the refs and the coaches. I love the kids that look into the stands during games and talk to their parents too. To all parents that have kids that play sports: Stop embarrassing your children. Talk to them after the game at home about it. It's OK to fail. That's how you get better.
Couldn't agree more.

Parents ruin sports. Especially parents of boys.

About a decade ago, right after I left college coaching and went back to the HS level, we had a parent storm into our football office screaming that because we were not starting his son we were hurting his chances for his eventual NFL contract.
It’s not only the parents of boys. Years back I was on the baseball/softball Board in town. My son was 15, and he was umpiring a 9 year old girls softball game. All of a sudden I get a call, “Please get down here now!” Parents of one team weren’t happy with a call, and they, and the coaches were on the field, cornering him, and arguing with each other. Over 9 year old girls softball game!!

To Gef and the other coaches in this thread, thank you for taking the time to work with and help develop kids. I am sorry you have to put up with this nonsense. Unfortunately this has been going on for as long as I can remember, social media just makes it more pronounced.

The helicoptering behavior by some parents is at crazy levels. The fact that it is forcing good coaches, who can have such a positive impact, to reconsider being involved in coaching is so unfortunate, but I don't blame them at all as it's not worth the aggravation. I coached three seasons of flag football up until last year because they just couldn't get volunteers but then I'd had enough.

Almost all of this also applies to Coaches who are Dads. Last spring, I saw the coaches of a 9U!!! baseball club, which I will gladly name because eff em, Power Bat Supreme, scream at an ump, throw catchers equipment, accuse an ump of being paid off, all because of a walkoff loss in which, yeah, the umpire probably blew a close fair/foul call. It was so embarrassing. Look for a club coached by hired coaches not daddies. Stay away from Daddy Ball (unless it's rec, then just be thankful anyone wants to coach).

My plan is to be an assistant coach/volunteer so I can grill my son in the dug out between innings and won’t have to yell from the stands.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Reactions: cicero grimes
Almost all of this also applies to Coaches who are Dads. Last spring, I saw the coaches of a 9U!!! baseball club, which I will gladly name because eff em, Power Bat Supreme, scream at an ump, throw catchers equipment, accuse an ump of being paid off, all because of a walkoff loss in which, yeah, the umpire probably blew a close fair/foul call. It was so embarrassing. Look for a club coached by hired coaches not daddies. Stay away from Daddy Ball (unless it's rec, then just be thankful anyone wants to coach).

shots fired wow GIF by Collider

My plan is to be an assistant coach/volunteer so I can grill my son in the dug out between innings and won’t have to yell from the stands.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Be careful, once you become a coach you have a choice between playing your kid a lot and dealing with parent complaints or sitting your kid more than others just so everyone shuts up. In rec basketball I always make sure my kid plays the minimum required minutes and not a second more.

Reactions: NickRU714
Be careful, once you become a coach you have a choice between playing your kid a lot and dealing with parent complaints or sitting your kid more than others just so everyone shuts up. In rec basketball I always make sure my kid plays the minimum required minutes and not a second more.
Screwing your own kid over because you can’t handle complainers? Nice!

• Angry
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Screwing your own kid over because you can’t handle complainers? Nice!

Eh, it's rec ball. The rule is everone must play half the game. If you have ten kids, it works out as two rotations. We have 9, and I just make sure my son is never the one getting the extra minutes. He can get real work in with Geo on Wednesday nights in Woodbridge.

Unless your kid sucks, then I guess you’re being fair.

My kid is above average for 3rd grade rec ball, but would get schooled in any decent travel league. He will never ever play a minute of varsity ball (or probably JV for that matter). The stakes are pretty low all around.

Reactions: fluoxetine
Eh, it's rec ball. The rule is everone must play half the game. If you have ten kids, it works out as two rotations. We have 9, and I just make sure my son is never the one getting the extra minutes. He can get real work in with Geo on Wednesday nights in Woodbridge.
Oh.. this is even less competitive that I was imagining. Fair enough lol.

I was imagining something like when I played little league. There was a minimum amount of playing time that everyone got but the better players played more than that

Had a buddy who ran a rec league a few years back. 7 year old girl soccer players in an unscored game and a 13 year old girl ref. A parent yelled at the girl ref, "Hey ref use your whistle, you're a girl, you should know how to blow". They banned the guy from all future games. Funny part is that he appealed the ban. He lost of course.

Had a buddy who ran a rec league a few years back. 7 year old girl soccer players in an unscored game and a 13 year old girl ref. A parent yelled at the girl ref, "Hey ref use your whistle, you're a girl, you should know how to blow". They banned the guy from all future games. Funny part is that he appealed the ban. He lost of course.

lmfao madonne

I was imagining something like when I played little league. There was a minimum amount of playing time that everyone got but the better players played more than that

In Little League it's easy. You usually have 11 kids, so the better kids can safely stay on the field for most of the game while you rotate 2 bench spots. Still, even in Little League my kid ALWAYS sat at least one inning. And he was an all-star.

Maybe you're right and I'm too worried about complaints, but I live in a very very small town. Let the serious stuff happen in travel ball. In rec ball the worst kids should get more playing time, if anything.

Had all of my coaches get ejected from a babe Ruth baseball game for arguing with the ump lol. Found it hilarious at the time

It’s not only the parents of boys. Years back I was on the baseball/softball Board in town. My son was 15, and he was umpiring a 9 year old girls softball game. All of a sudden I get a call, “Please get down here now!” Parents of one team weren’t happy with a call, and they, and the coaches were on the field, cornering him, and arguing with each other. Over 9 year old girls softball game!!
Haha I umped many baseball games usually behind the plate. I took first base for a girls softball game (rec). Wouldn’t you know it there are like 5 bang bang calls at first in the first 3 innings or so. So there I am looking at the bag and listening for the ball hitting the mitt. Guess what - when these girls throw it you can’t hear it. I think I was 0 for 5. I was hearing it. All I could do was raise my hands like yeah I blew it. Good times. Never again.

Coaches losing it unfortunately happens at all level, and it's not just the dad coaches. My oldest daughter is a softball player. She played rec for dad coaches and none of them behaved poorly. She joined a club team when she was 14 and had paid coaches. None of them behaved poorly. This past fall she joined a team with a paid coach (non dad) and he was going off on umps, kicks ball buckets, and acting like an ass. His team cost more than any other she played for, and we were playing in showcase tournaments in front of college coaches. It wasn't a good look. We were already prepaid for a November Florida trip, which was our last tournament of the fall. My daughter couldn't wait for that tournament to end. She's now done with club softball.

Coaches losing it unfortunately happens at all level, and it's not just the dad coaches. My oldest daughter is a softball player. She played rec for dad coaches and none of them behaved poorly. She joined a club team when she was 14 and had paid coaches. None of them behaved poorly. This past fall she joined a team with a paid coach (non dad) and he was going off on umps, kicks ball buckets, and acting like an ass. His team cost more than any other she played for, and we were playing in showcase tournaments in front of college coaches. It wasn't a good look. We were already prepaid for a November Florida trip, which was our last tournament of the fall. My daughter couldn't wait for that tournament to end. She's now done with club softball.
For some coaches unfortunately it’s about them not the kids.

To Gef and the other coaches in this thread, thank you for taking the time to work with and help develop kids. I am sorry you have to put up with this nonsense. Unfortunately this has been going on for as long as I can remember, social media just makes it more pronounced.
The last few years it has gotten even worse. There was a good article I read recently about how parents spend so much money on their children's training, that they expect a return on the investment.

I coach both a girls sport in the fall, and a boys sport in the spring. In the last two years I have had games in both seasons stop because of parent behavior, and not restart until people were removed or the site manager took control of the situation. In some cases we have to bring administration or security to our games because of parent behavior.

We are going to run out of officials in coaches soon for high school and youth sports.

Reactions: cicero grimes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT