ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy parents fight, was it worth it?

Wow, this thread resonates. I'm a teacher, a coach, a dad, and a board of ed member. To say I deal with this in every single facet of my life is beyond accurate. I've been yelled at by parents for every reason you can imagine, and most likely several reasons you'd never imagine in a million years!

Wow, this thread resonates. I'm a teacher, a coach, a dad, and a board of ed member. To say I deal with this in every single facet of my life is beyond accurate. I've been yelled at by parents for every reason you can imagine, and most likely several reasons you'd never imagine in a million years!
Do you get more complaints about kids grades or kids playing time?

Got this from a friend sitting behind the MN bench the other night. During a timeout, one of the players moms started to yell something from the stands (2nd row) and the player quickly gave his mom the zip it sign.

Coached seven combined seasons of baseball and basketball. The only parent who ever gave me a hard time was the mother of our only power hitter who made her kid work the count and take pitches until he had two strikes. 😫

• Haha
Reactions: fluoxetine
Article headline is misleading. the guy did not die at the game.

These people are absolutely nuts. they should all be in jail. People who fight at a 7th/8th grade game do not belong in society. Imagine what they would do if something that matters happens to them.
Yet this is incredibly common.

I "coached" entry level hockey for a couple years when my nephew was 13ish. There was one on ice melee between parents and a couple other close calls.

For the lowest level of sport you could imagine.

I put at least a portion of the blame on society being over caffeinated.

Well depends on the 60 year old I suppose. Lol
what about this 74-year-old?
960x0.jpg

They are more likely to have a cardiac arrest or a stroke. They are weaker. Their balance isn’t as good. Their reaction time is slower.
Lol!! So it makes it easy? Again still a strange statement to make. Plus I know plenty of 55+ who can run circles around the younger generations. It wouldnt be so easy then.

My kid is above average for 3rd grade rec ball, but would get schooled in any decent travel league. He will never ever play a minute of varsity ball (or probably JV for that matter). The stakes are pretty low all around.
Hope your kid doesn't read these boards, lol. I've got a 3 and 5 year old and not looking forward to sports for this reason. Might stick to dance for my daughter and maybe karate for my son.

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
Be careful, once you become a coach you have a choice between playing your kid a lot and dealing with parent complaints or sitting your kid more than others just so everyone shuts up. In rec basketball I always make sure my kid plays the minimum required minutes and not a second more.
If your kid is the better player, play 'em.
If the other folks don't like it eff 'em.
Don't punish your kid because of morons.
Having your own (or my own) kid playing a primo position or getting more playing time over better players is when it's a problem.
The issue I have with parents coaching their own kids is that when you criticize them, it's not just coach so and so saying it, it's Dad(or Mom). Kids take it more personal. I've had talks with good friends of mine being too hard on their own kid. I asked them to let me correct them if possible

Got this from a friend sitting behind the MN bench the other night. During a timeout, one of the players moms started to yell something from the stands (2nd row) and the player quickly gave his mom the zip it sign.
My daughter did the same to me when she was playing H.S basketball.😂😂😂
I wasn't being out of line at all. She was just nipping it in the bud I guess. I got a good chuckle out of it. As did those around me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT