ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Current events board

If the the forum rules were more enforced on the Current Events board, would you use it?

• No. I am not interested in political banter. I get enough OT content on this board.

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • I might check it out or contribute a few posts from time to time.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I would be a regular reader and contributor.

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Otterstedt

Hall of Famer
Jul 10, 2001
There is a thread on the Current Events board where I asked if people would want the board to be more moderated. That thread is aimed at the current users over there, so please do not respond if you are not a regular.

Admittedly, that board is less moderated than the others. Historically, our thinking has been to let the wild political fighting happen over there so it doesn't overflow over here.

However, I want to throw out a similar question to all of you: Would you read and contribute to that board more if it was more moderated?

The board basically consists of far-righters and far-lefters throwing crap at each other. Even discussions that start out being substantive deteriorate into name-calling. I used to go over to that board, but now do so very rarely. I try to do it only when I have something very specific to contribute (usually a link) or when someone asks a question about something I know something about.

I post on rare occasion there, but usually in threads that were originally on the football board , then moved to CE .

I read and post on the CE board some. Very different opinions are expressed there which is ok.

However, there are many, many personal attacks which would never be tolerated on the regular sports related board. Shocked me a bit when I first started reading the board a few months back.

I would not be for moderating opinions, but time outs in the corner for personal attacks would be good for the board. The number of posts would probably reduced by half if peeps could no longer post just to insult someone else, which again would be good for the board.

That board is an example of the worst of the worst of Internet muscles. A bunch of men showing off, because they think they are tough guys.

I don't post there but in the past looked on there but never went back until John asked this question. Went on tonight to take a peek .....suggestion, burn it.

Once upon a time the CE board was called the RWCJ board...and that's pretty much what it was.
Then a number of posters (myself included) decided to start posting there to give it a little more balance. Needless to say, the reaction from the right wingers was rough. People like me though don't much care what that type calls us and are pretty good at returning the "complements"..
I did wonder however what would happen when the Trump fan club couldn't take it any more....as they saw their side steady getting the worst of it. Now I know.
I'm sure that if it is decided that the CE board needs more strict moderation just about everyone who currently posts there will take heed.
A heads' up would be appreciated. I don't particularly care for being blacklisted.

Once upon a time the CE board was called the RWCJ board...and that's pretty much what it was.
Then a number of posters (myself included) decided to start posting there to give it a little more balance. Needless to say, the reaction from the right wingers was rough. People like me though don't much care what that type calls us and are pretty good at returning the "complements"..
I did wonder however what would happen when the Trump fan club couldn't take it any more....as they saw their side steady getting the worst of it. Now I know.
I'm sure that if it is decided that the CE board needs more strict moderation just about everyone who currently posts there will take heed.
A heads' up would be appreciated. I don't particularly care for being blacklisted.
T minus 25 hours it’s obvious you already missed the heads up.

Reactions: Caliknight
OHHHHHHHHHHHH were you feelings hurt?

I posted there for a while and truth be told a civil discourse is extremely difficult to maintain. There is too much rage and vitriol to be able to discuss topics without a very quick and sharp downward spiral. I look over there from time to time but find myself doing so less and less frequently because all I find is people shouting at each other instead of exchanging viewpoints.

The bottom line is the money ain’t on that Board.

More concern should be directed at the Premium/RT side of ScarletNation and making sure those of us who pay to be there are happy than those on both sides “over there” who think they are much smarter than they really are.

So I say either leave it alone or get rid of it as the new dawn approaches.

Reactions: MoobyCow
What are you really asking/getting at here, @John Otterstedt?

I’d like to hear what your definition of “more” moderation is.

By more moderated, I mean holding to the board guidelines that we posted on the site. People are much more mean (for lack of a better word) to one another over there. I get the impression that some enjoy that environment and feel it comes with the territory (politics), while others are turned off by it.

The bottom line is the money ain’t on that Board.

More concern should be directed at the Premium/RT side of ScarletNation and making sure those of us who pay to be there are happy than those on both sides “over there” who think they are much smarter than they really are.

So I say either leave it alone or get rid of it as the new dawn approaches.

It is possible to attend to both - premium board and other boards. One of the moderators started a conversation about the Current Events board, and since we couldn't reach a consensus, I decided to open up the conversation to a broader audience.

By more moderated, I mean holding to the board guidelines that we posted on the site. People are much more mean (for lack of a better word) to one another over there. I get the impression that some enjoy that environment and feel it comes with the territory (politics), while others are turned off by it.
So?

Unless there is another reason why all of a sudden this has become an issue...a REAL issue (a legal one/“suggestion” from say a higher authority) I say again what I said above, leave it alone or get rid of it entirely.

I do find the timing here of your poll interesting.

Reactions: 1873
It is possible to attend to both - premium board and other boards. One of the moderators started a conversation about the Current Events board, and since we couldn't reach a consensus, I decided to open up the conversation to a broader audience.
That is true and if it does become a concern that the paying customer is bringing to your attention, well that is a real concern.

And then I can see why this type discussion is occurring. Just seems weird, why right now?

There is a thread on the Current Events board where I asked if people would want the board to be more moderated. That thread is aimed at the current users over there, so please do not respond if you are not a regular.

Admittedly, that board is less moderated than the others. Historically, our thinking has been to let the wild political fighting happen over there so it doesn't overflow over here.

However, I want to throw out a similar question to all of you: Would you read and contribute to that board more if it was more moderated?

by "moderated", you mean "censored".

you do realize mod is a pc term for censor.

i guessing most of the high volume posters over there are social media warriors, representing, directly or indirectly, the major parties.

and some probably represent business or other special interests on social media.

they are "sock puppets". (part of an organized effort).

they lessen the board greatly, but there's nothing you can do about it.

would be much better if posters there were all representing just themselves.

that said, you stick a mod there, and good chance said mod is highly invested in one side or the other as well, and just uses his mod powers to silence the other side when his/her side is losing the debate.

political expression should not be silenced/censored, regardless. that's the proverbial slippery slope, and opens the door to something far worse than what you have now.

if you have something to say there, just say it, even knowing organized push back could come back at you.

hold your ground, and let your words stand for themselves, even in the face of organized or unorganized push back.

Reactions: 1873 and AntiG
Is this football board being eradicated of off topics...seems like the free board has turned into off topic..is the plan to move all off topic discussion to the current events...if so I see that failing

Is this football board being eradicated of off topics...seems like the free board has turned into off topic..is the plan to move all off topic discussion to the current events...if so I see that failing

No, not the plan at all.... All I'm asking is if we should crack down on people being over the top mean to one another on the current events board. We tend to allow an elevated level of banter on there that wouldn't be accepted elsewhere on the site.

Thanks for clearing that up John. Its certainly a tough call.I think King Highs response was pretty spot on. Like I said before perhaps there needs to be a line set but it for overt trolling personal attacks or threat of violence and quite frankly ive never seen a threat of violence there.

Reactions: RUaMoose
There are guys on ScarletNation whom I respect immensely even though I frequently totally disagree with their perspective. I learn and am forced to think/reconsider my perspectives through my interactions with them. That kind of discussion/debate is not possible on the CE Board. Zap made a great effort on gun control, but it spiralled. To me, the problem is that adherence to board rules is not maintained. Two of the three moderators are good (internet) friends of mine, but I think the board needs stricter moderation in order for it to be a productive and positive location.

I want to talk about gun control/freedom, climate issues, Trump, the Mueller investigation, the tax bill, North Korea, the Brit assassination attempt, etc. I want to hear people who differ with me on these issues. What I don't want to hear is unrelenting name-calling and bigoted references.

Maye we can leave the CE board for folks who want to engage in that, and start a new one dedicated to politics with a much stricter code of behavior.

Last edited:
it's only fitting on Easter/Passover weekend........ I'm reminded what a saint John O is...........

Last edited:
Reactions: John Otterstedt
I went over to check it out and the first thing I saw was 2 posters calling each other gay. Pretty bigoted hateful stuff. It wouldn't be allowed in a workplace, it's completely disrespectful, and I have no time for it.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
I would love for the CE to be worthwhile, but it's simply not. The majority of posters there are not trying to engage a topic in good faith. Rather, they are simply trying to win an argument. Making matters worse, the more frequent posters are the biggest offenders.

Unfortunately, this is all reflective of the tribalism of the world today. There are few outlets you can go where people are engaged to learn about a topic and strive for truth or are willing to truly listen to the opposing viewpoints.

I'm not sure how you go about regulating or "moderating" this. Maybe remove anonymity in order to post there? Maybe it would encourage people to behave. Good luck.

Reactions: Kenetr and MoobyCow
I've been a regular poster on that board since it's inception after 9/11. But it really has spiraled out of control for the last few years now (which isn't any different than the political discourse out side of the board.) It always had it's trolls but it has gotten out of control. Many posters on both sides, post just to troll the other side.

In the early days of the board you could learn a lot from many posters. There was a lot of insight on health care, the financial markets and world events. More enforcement would be better.

There are guys on ScarletNation whom I respect immensely even though I frequently totally disagree with their perspective. I learn and am forced to think/reconsider my perspectives through my interactions with them. That kind of discussion/debate is not possible on the CE Board. Zap made a great effort on gun control, but it spiralled. To me, the problem is that adherence to board rules is not maintained. Two of the three moderators are good (internet) friends of mine, but I think the board needs stricter moderation in order for it to be a productive and positive location.

I want to talk about gun control/freedom, climate issues, Trump, the Mueller investigation, the tax bill, North Korea, the Brit assassination attempt, etc. I want to hear people who differ with me on these issues. What I don't want to hear is unrelenting name-calling and bigoted references.

Maye we can leave the CE board for folks who want to engage in that, and start a new one dedicated to politics with a much stricter code of behavior.
A prerequisite for civil discussion is people honestly interested in coming to understand the other side, and the truth/accuracy of their own positions.

I don't know that enough people have that outlook to sustain a civil discourse. Most people talking politics aren't trying to be educated, and aren't open to a discussion. Certainly those who are are drowned out by those who aren't.

People often enough get called nasty names for simply trying to be accurate about football (or weather) forget politics.

Last edited:
The biggest issue we seem to have in coming to a conclusion, which King states in one of these threads, is being able to define what is a racist/sexist/homophobic post and when is it just somebody being overly sensitive to debate on issues. Where is the line if there was to be a line?

The biggest issue we seem to have in coming to a conclusion, which King states in one of these threads, is being able to define what is a racist/sexist/homophobic post and when is it just somebody being overly sensitive to debate on issues. Where is the line if there was to be a line?
the problem is over sensitive people.. there are no lines to be drawn.. once you draw lines you start grouping people and that starts the divide ... ie.. a certain poster b!tching about my former sig cuz he/she/it found it offensive.. no one else complained to my knowledge...

Reactions: RUaMoose
It seems very obvious on it's face but those of us who have had recent EEO briefings from their respective HR people need to realize it's not what you said/typed it's what the other person heard/read.

So while some people in a certain thread might see a post/line one way the person who sees it the other way...

Having spent some more time perusing the board overnight, I totally understand how it is difficult - especially in today's political climate - to discuss politics without offending someone. I also understand that it is hard to prune off the seemingly outlandish posts without people claiming that the moderator is favoring one political side over the other. I guess my big question here is: Would people feel that way if all the moderators did was prune off the direct, personal attacks on one another?

I quickly read through one of the gun threads, and there were only three posts that I would consider pruning:
- "You're extra whiney today. Trump is definitely your guy."
- "What are you doing here today? I thought you would be hiding in horror of melting from all the smelly women you obsessively post about."
- "You're just mad that these high schoolers are influential while you mow their lawns."

I post that above fully understanding that I don't know the dynamics of their relationship. For all I know the people involved in those exchanges are good friends and were just kidding with one another.

I'm wondering if a simple rule to follow would be: "Attack the message, not the person." Can that be followed without people feeling like their freedom of speech and political leanings are being threatened?

(I am only bringing this up because our moderators were having an email discussion about these same issues, and we didn't reach a consensus. I thought, "Maybe this is a more cut-and-dry issue among the readers. Let's ask.")

Reactions: T2Kplus10

Interesting idea. Make a political board that sticks to the rules and another "political slam" board. Something like that.

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Give it a little more balance? As in repeating same stuff over and over again?Lol.
giphy.gif

I don't think you need to go down that road as much of you think. Just clean up the over the top vulgar and racist name calling. That would clean up 90%+ of the garbage. Moderating ideas is not what is needed (unless someone is dropping N words or something ridiculous).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT