ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Current events board

If the the forum rules were more enforced on the Current Events board, would you use it?

• No. I am not interested in political banter. I get enough OT content on this board.

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • I might check it out or contribute a few posts from time to time.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I would be a regular reader and contributor.

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having spent some more time perusing the board overnight, I totally understand how it is difficult - especially in today's political climate - to discuss politics without offending someone. I also understand that it is hard to prune off the seemingly outlandish posts without people claiming that the moderator is favoring one political side over the other. I guess my big question here is: Would people feel that way if all the moderators did was prune off the direct, personal attacks on one another?

I quickly read through one of the gun threads, and there were only three posts that I would consider pruning:
- "You're extra whiney today. Trump is definitely your guy."
- "What are you doing here today? I thought you would be hiding in horror of melting from all the smelly women you obsessively post about."
- "You're just mad that these high schoolers are influential while you mow their lawns."

I post that above fully understanding that I don't know the dynamics of their relationship. For all I know the people involved in those exchanges are good friends and were just kidding with one another.

I'm wondering if a simple rule to follow would be: "Attack the message, not the person." Can that be followed without people feeling like their freedom of speech and political leanings are being threatened?

(I am only bringing this up because our moderators were having an email discussion about these same issues, and we didn't reach a consensus. I thought, "Maybe this is a more cut-and-dry issue among the readers. Let's ask.")
As I just mentioned to Phila, if you guys focused solely on the over the top personal attacks and name-calling, the vast majority of problems will go anyway. No need to police ideas. The attacks are what have spiraled the board and most threads.

Hey, besides, all of that stuff breaks the long established board rules anyway.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Having spent some more time perusing the board overnight, I totally understand how it is difficult - especially in today's political climate - to discuss politics without offending someone. I also understand that it is hard to prune off the seemingly outlandish posts without people claiming that the moderator is favoring one political side over the other. I guess my big question here is: Would people feel that way if all the moderators did was prune off the direct, personal attacks on one another?

I quickly read through one of the gun threads, and there were only three posts that I would consider pruning:
- "You're extra whiney today. Trump is definitely your guy."
- "What are you doing here today? I thought you would be hiding in horror of melting from all the smelly women you obsessively post about."
- "You're just mad that these high schoolers are influential while you mow their lawns."

I post that above fully understanding that I don't know the dynamics of their relationship. For all I know the people involved in those exchanges are good friends and were just kidding with one another.

I'm wondering if a simple rule to follow would be: "Attack the message, not the person." Can that be followed without people feeling like their freedom of speech and political leanings are being threatened?

(I am only bringing this up because our moderators were having an email discussion about these same issues, and we didn't reach a consensus. I thought, "Maybe this is a more cut-and-dry issue among the readers. Let's ask.")
Don’t mind personal attacks if it’s occasional. There are a few individuals that go back and forth and it appears both parties can take it. However, racial comments like all the person sees on ESPN are black announcers all day shouldn’t be acceptable.

Reactions: scarlet_ty
Perhaps we start by banning the terms Trumpanzee and pussyhats or any similar terms to label which side of the aisle you are on

I think bac mentioned in the past that some of his message boards put posters on a post limit when they are acting up, should do the same here. Kbee bac cali brg all just repeat the same nonsense over and over and ruin it. I used to read that board all the time and now barely check it. Used to be much better before it became the trump/Hillary board.

Reactions: Kenetr
Thank you for your feedback everyone. I will lock this one down now so that it doesn't keep bouncing up and interfering with the other conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT