ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Curt Simmons dead at 93

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The last of the 1950 Phillies Whiz Kids team has thrown has thrown his last curve.
The lefthander was drafted into the Army in Sept. of that year.He attempted to get a pass to pitch against the Yankees in the World Series but was turned down(The CO must have been a Yankees fan.)

Curt finally got that chance,pitching for the Cardinals in Game 3 at Yankee Stadium in 1964,getting a no decision.

The Phillies Whiz Kids Curt Simmons and Robin Roberts were one of the best starting tandems baseball had at the time
RIP Curt

Reactions: 29PAS and zappaa
My first baseball glove was a Curt Simmons model bought at Rickel’s, a hardware store in East Brunswick. Had no idea who he was when I got it as a 7 year old in 1969. I knew Tom Seaver and Mickey Mantle. So he must have had a long contract. It was a great mitt.
So RIP Curt Simmons.

Last edited:
From his NY Times obituary, this odd tidbit ...

He won 16 games in 1953, though he missed a month after losing part of a toe in a lawn mower accident.

The Phillies Whiz Kids Curt Simmons and Robin Roberts were one of the best starting tandems baseball had at the time
RIP Curt
Yes they were. Simmons was really tough. Phils went into the last game of the season in '50 tied with my Dodgers & beat them in 10 in.

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT