ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cut Glassware

hoquat63

All American
Mar 17, 2005
Way ot, have some cut glassware that I inherited from an elderly relative years ago and has been sitting in boxes in the attic for years - maybe it’s only 5&10 cent store stuff, maybe it’s valuable????
Anyone here have any expertise?

Way ot, have some cut glassware that I inherited from an elderly relative years ago and has been sitting in boxes in the attic for years - maybe it’s only 5&10 cent store stuff, maybe it’s valuable????
I don't but those that might be able to help might ask you whether the set if just cut glassware or crystal ..
I found this with a quick google
>Key difference: Glass is a generic name, while, crystal is a subcategory of glass, made in the same manner as glass but with different materials. Hence, all crystal is glass, but not all glass is crystal<

I'm guessing they're not in the original boxes or you'd have mentioned the brand.
So the difference between regular glassware and "crystal" is the inclusion of lead, up to 24% in high quality crystalware. The lead gives the glasses the color in reflected light. If you hold them up to the light the difference is pretty obvious.
Also the high quality (valuable) stuff is hand blown and hand cut. Inexpensive mass produced were is poured into molds. So often you will see a mold line on the foot of the glass. The edges of hand cut glass are sharp while molded ware has rounder edges.
Finally, ppl have been told for years that inclusions, or air bubbles, are a hallmark of handcrafting. This is a lie. It was a marketing ploy created by Waterford in the 70's when they increased production due to demand. Older hand blown wares rarely had inclusions, and many finer wares like Baccarat, Ajka and Royal Doulton are still inclusion free.

Even if what you have isn't hand blown, it could have some value depending on where it's from and if it's collectible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT