ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cutting the cord - Internet options?

scarlet96

All American
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
I am ready to cut the cord. I have free shared access to Netfilx and have been using YouTubeTV. I am ready to dump Verizon Fios. Verizon is offering internet at $80 to $85. I feel to make it worth the trouble of removing cable internet would have to be more in the $60 to $70 range. Are there such options out there? I would love to hear from people who have a successful set up in NJ. thanks

I am ready to cut the cord. I have free shared access to Netfilx and have been using YouTubeTV. I am ready to dump Verizon Fios. Verizon is offering internet at $80 to $85. I feel to make it worth the trouble of removing cable internet would have to be more in the $60 to $70 range. Are there such options out there? I would love to hear from people who have a successful set up in NJ. thanks
Optimum is offering 200 service for $40 for new customers. I have them and it's great. I cut the cord (use Playstation Vue and Sling) and will never go back to cable. Both those services just announced $5 increases, but I still save $120 per month over cable.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I get Verizon Fios for $40 with the online autopay. It might only be for new customers but I'm sure if you called them up and told them you wanted to switch theyd give it to you. I have it with YouTube TV and it works great.

Make sure you get your own modem and router, rather than renting from the cable company. You can find good ones used for $20 so they pay for themselves within months.
recommendations on where to find used router and modem and what brand?

recommendations on where to find used router and modem and what brand?
Sorry I thought I mentioned Ebay in my post, but obviously I didn't. I went with an Arris Surboard SB6141 modem and TP-Link AC1200 (Archer C50) router and have had 0 issues with both.

Reactions: PeteGiam07
Get your own router (no need for a modem with Fios) and Fios should be around 70 a month give or take a few beans. My triple play just ended and Fios wants to bump me up $20 to 155. I only really watch sports on TV so I'll dump the triple and keep the internet for $72 without Verizon's mediocre router. Then I'll do Youtube TV since they carry a lot of sports - including Army on CBS Sports (which took a whole TV package jump in Fios). I could try Optimum cable (offered $113 for their triple) but after a storm around here the cable people lose service the most. Those purple Barney trucks are all over the place.

If you google dslreports and the Verizon forum you'll get more info than you need on router buying options and installs. I wouldn't go too cheap on the router since you could miss a lot of newer options and also get old firmware. Verizon is coming out with 5G routers around October this year (no 5g service until around 2020) so keep that in mind if you want the latest/greatest

I have no choice but to get Optimum for my internet services. Here is my set up:

Optimum Internet: $62 200Mb - I use my own Arris Surfboard Modem (renting is another$10 a month) and Optimum Router for free. It is an extra $5 for 200Mb a month so I could get this down to $57 if I wanted, but enjoy the extra speed.
Netflix - $12 - I share an account with my elderly parents so they can watch.
YouTubeTV - $35 - I am grandfathered into the old price.
Amazon Prime - $13 - I don't really count this for TV since I have it more for package delivery but I will for the sake of this.
OTA TV - $0 - Installed this 2 years ago so it paid for itself already. I rarely use it now since I have YouTubeTV but it is a good back up if internet ever goes down.

So my monthly total for Internet/TV is $122 a month. Again, I could get this down to $117 if I went with slower speed for internet.

I pay $265 per month for Comcast Xfinity. It sucks, I'm often amazed at how much money I throw at cable/internet. That said i'm awful at technology and all the stuff people are talking about above, so I just keep doing it.

$40/month fios and DirectNow + Netflix (share).
$85/month now vs. nearly $200 prior.

Whomever buys my house will have it wired for Sat/Cable too but they'll be extinct by then.

Anybody know what Optimum is charging for their relatively new 400Mb service?

Edit: After poking around, it looks like an additional $55/month over basic internet. Versus an additional $20 for 200Mb service (for comparison's sake). Interestingly, 400 is the same price as 300, with 400 only being offered in certain areas.

Last edited:
I cut the cord 2 years ago. Pay $35 for Directvnow which is great and $15 for Netflix, so $110 total bill (with 500mb, would be 90 if I settled on 100mb which is fine for most people). Have not missed my regular Directv at all.

Anybody know what Optimum is charging for their relatively new 400Mb service?

Edit: After poking around, it looks like an additional $55/month over basic internet. Versus an additional $20 for 200Mb service (for comparison's sake). Interestingly, 400 is the same price as 300, with 400 only being offered in certain areas.

I pay $5 extra a month for 200Mb for Optimum... where are you getting $20 more a month?

I pay $265 per month for Comcast Xfinity. It sucks, I'm often amazed at how much money I throw at cable/internet. That said i'm awful at technology and all the stuff people are talking about above, so I just keep doing it.

Well on the plus side the quality of streamed football is pretty sketchy so you're not missing a whole lot. Youtube TV only recently tried to upgrade to the network sport's standard 60 fps (frames per second) instead of their original 30fps (causes a stuttering look in fast moving sports. But the 60 fps doesn't play nice with larger resolutions like 4k. I have to keep the browser from full expansion to avoid the herky jerkies. 1920 x 1080 @60 fps is ok while 3840 x 2160 @ 60 is lame. Its a lot like viewing WatchESPN (ESPN3 back in the day).

Last edited:
Well on the plus side the quality of streamed football is pretty sketchy so you're not missing a whole lot. Youtube TV only recently tried to upgrade to the network sport's standard 60 fps (frames per second) instead of their original 30fps (causes a stuttering look in fast moving sports. But the 60 fps doesn't play nice with larger resolutions like 4k. I have to keep the browser from full expansion to avoid the herky jerkies. 1920 x 1080 @60 fps is ok while 3840 x 2160 @ 60 is lame. Its a lot like viewing WatchESPN (ESPN3 back in the day).
That sounds like you're casting it with a firestick/chromecast? Do they have a built in app on the tvs itself or can it be downloaded onto AppleTV? I have the youtube app on my tv but don't know if youtube TV can be linked as well. I'd think having the app native on the tv itself vs casting might reduce so of the herky jerkies no?

That sounds like you're casting it with a firestick/chromecast? Do they have a built in app on the tvs itself or can it be downloaded onto AppleTV? I have the youtube app on my tv but don't know if youtube TV can be linked as well. I'd think having the app native on the tv itself vs casting might reduce so of the herky jerkies no?
All comes down to internet performance coming into his house and network (possibly wifi) performance between his internet device (e.g. cable modem) and his TV.

If the internet connection is fast enough, and the network connection between his TV and his internet device is fast enough, then there should be no problems streaming in 4K. I stream at high frame rates in 4K all the time and only very rarely (like a couple times per month) experience any kind of jitter or lag.

All comes down to internet performance coming into his house and network (possibly wifi) performance between his internet device (e.g. cable modem) and his TV.

If the internet connection is fast enough, and the network connection between his TV and his internet device is fast enough, then there should be no problems streaming in 4K. I stream at high frame rates in 4K all the time and only very rarely (like a couple times per month) experience any kind of jitter or lag.
I don't have any issues either but that's on Netflix (which is pretty much the only place I watch 4K, don't watch much PrimeTV) and the app is native to the tv. No issues with YouTube 4k videos either on the handful of times I've watched those but again app is native on the tv. Any extra area there's a "break" I feel like is a possible place to lose quality. That's why I'd hope there's a YouTubeTV app available that is also native to the tv rather than laptop/device and casted over to the tv.

PM me if you want assistance on your Comcast package. There’s a lot of good options in this thread but if you just want a cheaper Comcast option i can help decipher the packages for you.

I don't have any issues either but that's on Netflix (which is pretty much the only place I watch 4K, don't watch much PrimeTV) and the app is native to the tv. No issues with YouTube 4k videos either on the handful of times I've watched those but again app is native on the tv. Any extra area there's a "break" I feel like is a possible place to lose quality. That's why I'd hope there's a YouTubeTV app available that is also native to the tv rather than laptop/device and casted over to the tv.
For people with Android TV's, is often possible to "side-load" android apps onto the TV not natively supported by the TV manufacturer.

For example, Vudu, recently added support to their app for UHD (i.e. 4K/ATMOS/HDR10) streaming for my main TV. But that support hasn't yet shown up via the built in Vudu app on my TV. So I side-loaded the latest Vudu app and can now watch UHD movies. Prior to doing that, I had to watch Vudo UHD movies through an xbox one x connected to that TV (since Vudu and MSFT supported it).

Anyway, my point is, it's possible that the YouTube TV app can be loaded onto people's TV's via side-loading, at least if they have Android. Not sure about other smart TV OSes built around more proprietary OSes.

For people with Android TV's, is often possible to "side-load" android apps onto the TV not natively supported by the TV manufacturer.

For example, Vudu, recently added support to their app for UHD (i.e. 4K/ATMOS/HDR10) streaming for my main TV. But that support hasn't yet shown up via the built in Vudu app on my TV. So I side-loaded the latest Vudu app and can now watch UHD movies. Prior to doing that, I had to watch Vudo UHD movies through an xbox one x connected to that TV (since Vudu and MSFT supported it).

Anyway, my point is, it's possible that the YouTube TV app can be loaded onto people's TV's via side-loading, at least if they have Android. Not sure about other smart TV OSes built around more proprietary OSes.
Never heard of the term "side loading" before but just looked it up. I checked my tv (Samsung) just now and it does have the native Youtube TV app available. So that's good to know in case I do decide to ever switch from FIOS.

Reactions: mildone
Never heard of the term "side loading" before but just looked it up. I checked my tv (Samsung) just now and it does have the native Youtube TV app available. So that's good to know in case I do decide to ever switch from FIOS.
That's good. Makes things simpler.

Thanks. I signed-up for Youtue TV the other day and nothing was mentioned about Chromecast. But I did remember reading that Youtube would have a "special offer" for one after the 7 day trial was up (and lots of people couldn't get one even after asking).

I also read YouTube TV was on Roku now, and I had a new one still in the box from 3 years ago (not a big TV guy). I had to play with computer and phone and codes and email to get yttv added but it worked. The Roku scaled the resolution to 1080 so now things look better. I'll need a newer Roku for 4k stuff .

Now I need a surfing app that works with yttv

I didn't look closely enough earlier with regards to YouTube TV, it's all there. Looks like 2016 or later Samsung/LG tvs should have it native as well and some Sony/Android tvs.

From their website:

Stream with Google Chromecast or download our app on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One and supported Samsung and LG TVs.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/

I didn't look closely enough earlier with regards to YouTube TV, it's all there. Looks like 2016 or later Samsung/LG tvs should have it native as well and some Sony/Android tvs.

From their website:

Stream with Google Chromecast or download our app on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One and supported Samsung and LG TVs.

https://tv.youtube.com/learn/devices/

I have a Samsung from 2016. The included Youtube app was just for Youtube and not YouTube TV. But that was easy to add to the TV after jumping through a couple of hoops. The Roku is a lot better though with the interface and remote functions. I should have opened the box a few years ago lol

There's no NFL Network as yet. I would guess that happens in future since yttv seems aimed at sport viewers

I have a Samsung from 2016. The included Youtube app was just for Youtube and not YouTube TV. But that was easy to add to the TV after jumping through a couple of hoops. The Roku is a lot better though with the interface and remote functions. I should have opened the box a few years ago lol

There's no NFL Network as yet. I would guess that happens in future since yttv seems aimed at sport viewers
I have a Samsung tv from 2016 as well and the youtubeTV app was in the apps section IIRC when I checked yesterday. I've always kept the tv update to date though with the updates from Samsung not sure if that makes any difference. I don't think it would, those are usually firmware updates.

As far as opening electronics lol, I have done the same. I was gifted a google TV long ago which was never opened, one of those harmony smart remotes also long ago which I only opened when I got the Samsung tv but I don't really use it much. I'm better now though, maybe a week or two in the box as opposed to years.

I have a Samsung tv from 2016 as well and the youtubeTV app was in the apps section IIRC when I checked yesterday. I've always kept the tv update to date though with the updates from Samsung not sure if that makes any difference. I don't think it would, those are usually firmware updates.

Ah I kept the TV off the web - never linked it up until a few days ago. I wish I didn 't have to have TV linked now but I'm firmly on the Google plantation now with phone, TV, mail, computer, Google Play etc. If I get a dog I should name it Sergey

Man I hope you're getting everything for that and higher speeds for internet and multiple cable boxes. I pay around 170 for FIOS triple play with about 100mpbs, HBO/Showtime, 3 HD boxes (1 multiroom dvr) and the second highest tv package. I don't have a problem with the triple pay costs it's the box fees I hate. At your price I hope you get at least what I do and more.

Bill came in yesterday and actually noticed the discounts I have for tv don't expire suddenly. Just last months bill had them expiring in the fall under a 2 year agreement. I remember some here were saying they were getting higher pricing at renewal time. Maybe people dropping service or downgrading and going to streaming has made them rethink, don't know.

Does anyone have internet service only? Not counting any temporary year or two discount, what do you pay? I am inquiring because my provider, Fios, has increased in price. Internet only for Fios is $99.99 a month for 100/100, $79.99 for 50/50. I am seeking a less expensive alternative even if it is slower speeds.

Man I hope you're getting everything for that and higher speeds for internet and multiple cable boxes. I pay around 170 for FIOS triple play with about 100mpbs, HBO/Showtime, 3 HD boxes (1 multiroom dvr) and the second highest tv package. I don't have a problem with the triple pay costs it's the box fees I hate. At your price I hope you get at least what I do and more.

Bill came in yesterday and actually noticed the discounts I have for tv don't expire suddenly. Just last months bill had them expiring in the fall under a 2 year agreement. I remember some here were saying they were getting higher pricing at renewal time. Maybe people dropping service or downgrading and going to streaming has made them rethink, don't know.

We had Cablevision /Optimum for years, price got high, so we switched to Fios w one of their specials. We have 5 TVs, phone , internet etc. Fios was about $40 lower. Well they did the install, and low and behold, not only did we not have as many stations, but the internet signal upstairs was very spotty. Then Altice , who took over Optimum/Cablevision calls, says you are great customers , we will go another 20 lower than Fios/Verizon, and our new Altice boxes have routers or extenders in each box, the signals will be great everywhere. So we had 30 days to cancel Fios/Verizon which we did, and love the new Altice boxes and great internet signals. Plus extra stations, and the new Altice remotes are voice activated if you want, and free DVR in each remote/box/TV and the boxes are tiny.
My sister switched to Apple sticks or something, and she swears by them, but not sure who her provider is.

Anyone know anything about My Wifi TV? I paid for 1 month of service and so far it is great with every possible station imaginable. I'm streaming through a Fire Stick and plan on cutting the cord unless I hear/experience some negatives regarding My Wifi TV. Unfortunately Fios, Optimum, and Spectrum are not available in my area so probably have to stick with Infinity for internet.

Same boat as you with Comcast which is why I'm now trying My Wifi TV. If things go well i will be cutting the cord and going internet only

My Comcast service is over $200/month (cable TV, DVR, internet), but it is intuitive and easy to use. My children all have cut the cable cord. When I am watching TV at their homes, they spend half their TV time screwing around with the remote(s) and searching for things. As a visitor, it is difficult to see any operational benefit to what they have, and it is always difficult to get onboard with doing simple things with their TV if they aren’t around. But no doubt they are saving money and feel good about it.

Last edited:
Does Optimum have a proprietary cable? I only have Verizon's optics and copper going to my house.

Does anyone have internet service only? Not counting any temporary year or two discount, what do you pay? I am inquiring because my provider, Fios, has increased in price. Internet only for Fios is $99.99 a month for 100/100, $79.99 for 50/50. I am seeking a less expensive alternative even if it is slower speeds.

In the same boat. Most likely migrating to Hulu and just need to figure out if I'll stay with FiOS for the internet. For what I need, I can live with 50/50 (maybe slower?) but I agree that $80 is too much so I'll probably hunt for lower priced internet-only options too. Post an update here if you come up with any good alternatives, thanks.

Same boat as you with Comcast which is why I'm now trying My Wifi TV. If things go well i will be cutting the cord and going internet only

Can you elaborate on how My Wifi TV works?
From their website it seems like your just paying them for the guide, and that you must separately subscribe with the content providers they offer. Is that the case? If so, what's the point?

ADVERTISEMENT