ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DAILY COVID-19 THREAD -- 9/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh6o9RUXgAEifYT

didnt Spain just have the worst one day case per capita that we have ever seen. So much praise for Europe saying they handled it well

Sweden has one death per day for a few weeks now..why? why? no masks?
Did you know tomorrow is don't wear a mask day in the US ? Time to film masks being burnt and let people like murphy see it !

Reactions: bac2therac
Pennsylvania coronavirus restrictions deemed unconstitutional, federal judge rules

didnt Spain just have the worst one day case per capita that we have ever seen. So much praise for Europe saying they handled it well

Sweden has one death per day for a few weeks now..why? why? no masks?
If you think Spain's cases are bad what do you think about the USA? If lockdowns don't work how did the virus go away in Europe for a few months. Summer holiday ?????

Pennsylvania coronavirus restrictions deemed unconstitutional, federal judge rules

Will be overturned. Lochner lol. Judicial activism at its finest.

while the media runs fear mongering about thousands of young people being infected, they ignore that the bulk of anyone sick or deaths are still focused in nursing home and long term care facilities, wonder why they do that
While you read your twitter news 200k Americans sit dead in their graves, almost 1700 of them under 35, more young ppl than who died in 9/11.

While you read your twitter news 200k Americans sit dead in their graves, almost 1700 of them under 35, more young ppl than who died in 9/11.
Not good if they are sitting dead in their graves comrade. Myself, I plan on being put into mother earth lying down. Now get back to studying law.

Reactions: goru1869
great to have optimism and a different take in this thread than in that former doom and gloom thread which dealt with fear mongering the crap out of everyone
Yet I am just asking questions about your theories. You said questions were good. Why can't you answer mine then?

Reactions: fsg2
This appears to be very good news regarding the virus:

It might be, but not something we’ll know until next year. By then we’ll likely already have vaccines and antibody treatments approved. This would have been better news if it was April.

Reactions: biker7766
You are the COVID drama king.
Bac is like Trump , only likes science when it benefits him. Trump likes science when it involves a Possible early vaccine but not when it has to do with Covid or climate change . We’ll see what happens if the vaccine is not ready when he wants it to be or isn’t effective . Hopefully that’s not the case , but then he’ll turn on science again .

Reactions: Greg2020
As I said the other day (post linked below - one of the downsides of the daily threads) when I was talking about the clinical hold on the Astra-Zeneca/Oxford vaccine being released, I thought it was odd that it was released in the UK, but not elsewhere (Dr. Topol a clinical expert at Scripps also thought it was odd). The other troubling issue for many is that AZ did not provide any further information on the vaccinated (not placebo) patient who experienced the transverse myelitis (or the first patient who supposedly had the same side effect, but had been diagnosed with MS, which wasn't revealed until now)and how it was concluded it was safe to resume the trial, although these things aren't always shared with the public by the independent DSMB (data safety monitoring board, which oversees such large phase III trials).

Anyway, as often happens, Derek Lowe made a blog post today questioning some of the same things, but more aggressively and giving better reasons why this should concern people (not sure if my questions to him helped spur the article or not, but they have in the past and not just on COVID - he's very well known to anyone in Pharma). So in his blog today he slams AZ for not being more transparent, despite acknowledging that Pharma companies don't typically reveal every detail about ongoing trials, but saying we're in an extraordinary situation where public confidence in vaccine safety (especially) and efficacy is going to be critical to successfully vaccinating enough people to make a difference in ending this pandemic. Nice excerpt below.

I well realize that this confidence is being eroded from several directions at once. Between (1) the more traditional anti-vaccine people, and (2) the ones who think that the entire coronavirus epidemic is some kind of evil fakery that will culminate in an evil fake vaccine forced on the public for evil purposes, and (3) the people who are OK with vaccines in general but feel that these new ones may well be too rushed, and (4) the people who feel that the administration itself may be doing some of the rushing in order to get something out before the election, safety be mostly damned, the middle ground is shrinking.

We just had a statement (an unprecedented one) from a whole group of drug companies working in this area, with an “on-going commitment to developing and testing potential vaccines for COVID-19 in accordance with high ethical standards and sound scientific principles“. We’d damned well better, is my first reaction, but sure, this is a good thing to emphasize. But nowhere in that statement is there anything about putting cards on the table. It’s time. The companies developing vaccines for this pandemic have to break with past behavior and “normal” drug development and be more public about these trials than they have ever been. These are unprecedented times and we need to see some more unprecedented behavior. Fast.

More cherry picked data. Plenty of college age students have been hospitalized and we've had a few hundred die, which are certainly low numbers, but nowhere near zero. Also, the main issue with children and college age adults has never really been the impacts on them, which everyone agrees have been no worse than the flu, but rather the fact that at least some of these people are likely infecting older, much more vulnerable people, such as teachers, staff, and family/friends. That's why it's important for them to mask/distance and quarantine if found to be positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT