OT: Daily COVID-19 Thread - 9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Hey everybody we are going to try something new. Instead of having the one big COVID thread, we are going to start a new daily COVID thread every single day and lock it every night around midnight with a new one starting shortly after.

We will be a little lax on the board rules in this thread about political postings as long as it pertains to COVID. However the rest of the board rules are still in full effect, there will be no fighting, no name calling, etc. There are also no warnings in this thread, if you step out of line here or attack others for no reason, a ban will immediately follow.

With that being said, post away.

I've posted quite a few links to scholarly articles that disagree completely with the "made in the lab" conspiracy theories, so I'm not inclined to repeat all that unless requested, but with regard to this "paper," did you know it was funded by the "Rule of Law Society," which is a political non-profit group dedicated to "investigating Chinese corruption" and is led by Steve Bannon and underwritten by fugitive Chinese billionaire Guo Wengui?

I have no love for the Chinese government, but Bannon has already been indicted for fraud in his role in raising money for the build the wall charity - remember that yacht they joked about buying with stolen funds from contributors? That was owned by Guo Wengui and the author of this non peer-reviewed "paper" also happens to be a regular on Bannon's nutty 4-hour daily YouTube-show "War Room Pandemic."

To think that this "paper" isn't a political hit-job is to have one's head in the sand - the first link, below, discusses how Yan has been promising "damning evidence" of a lab made virus for months and none was provided at all in this "paper" (just recycled claims that have been circulating for months). If people want to buy into this theory, someone at least needs to provide a good source with some actual convincing science behind it.

Someone else asked, did you even read this article? I breezed through some of it and she seemed to explain the similarities to what China had, what was similar to the original SARS and what was found that has never existed in a coronavirus. Then gave genome and spike receptor specifics backing up her claims. Instead of examining the reported facts, you scream politics.

Today is #unmaskAmerica Day

Just remember to wear your mask the other 364 days.

Well, LiMeng Yan's Twitter account was revoked, so clearly they think her "paper" is shite. I am conflicted on censorship vs. public safety though. I generally abhor censorship, but if someone is obviously doing the equivalent of yelling "fire" in a crowded movie house (lying), which can lead to panic and injuries (so it's illegal), by publishing something "fake" (lying) which could lead to people not getting a vaccine (and increasing cases/injuries), for example, I can see censoring it. But as nutty as this case is, I doubt it's causing harm other than wasting some people's time, so I'd prefer to just label it as clearly false.

They took the Twitter away? That proves it was a farce all along. Here I was thinking she is lucky to still be alive since she is attempting to bring China down and you are concerned about a social media account? Read the article and tell me if her theories give her more credibility than her Twitter being deactivated denounces her credibility.

They can help but you fell for the math angle. Not the science angle. They aren't as effective as they portrayed or you think. Tons of people have been infected even when all people are wearing them. Doctors, nurses and all hospital workers were infected when they were wearing N95 and patients wearing the standard blue one. So it isn't the answer. Social distancing is. Stop being a clown. The fact you post the least scientific study is proof that you are clueless and a fear monger

I think I remember early studies showed the infection rate among tested healthcare workers was less than that of the general population which is pretty impressive as they were in the direct line of fire taking care of the critically ill. No social distancing when you have to be hands on and face to face..the masks worked.

i thought scientists, just like mathmaticians, can examine the information provided in a paper and can determine the veracity. i posted her paper and i see that she provided some interesting information. in fact, she make a claim in the paper as a scientist, that the spike protein sequence found in the virus is not natural due to the fact that is has never been found in nature that way.
i am not a scientist and have no idea whether that claim is true or not.
rather than providing a convincing argument you seem to be dismissing her paper because who paid for it.
what does scientific veracity has anything do to with who funded it?
did you read the paper?

I thought it was very interesting and I think this was produced in a lab and introduced to the public accidentally or deliberately.

I thought it was very interesting and I think this was produced in a lab and introduced to the public accidentally or deliberately.

There is a lot more research that suggests otherwise though. Don’t trust that research considering the source.

giphy.gif

Special section for the "young people can do what they want" crowd:

"If the city maintained the same usage rates of face coverings in April into the reopening period starting June 8, the researchers estimate that face coverings would reduce overall COVID-19 transmission by approximately 9–11 percent during reopening when people spend a greater amount of time outside homes and use face coverings outside. However, if everyone wore masks in the same degree and manner as older adults, the city could reduce overall transmission by as much as 28–32 percent."

Don't @ me unless you know how to wear a mask properly after 6 months

Special section for the "young people can do what they want" crowd:

"If the city maintained the same usage rates of face coverings in April into the reopening period starting June 8, the researchers estimate that face coverings would reduce overall COVID-19 transmission by approximately 9–11 percent during reopening when people spend a greater amount of time outside homes and use face coverings outside. However, if everyone wore masks in the same degree and manner as older adults, the city could reduce overall transmission by as much as 28–32 percent."

Don't @ me unless you know how to wear a mask properly after 6 months
Fake news!! Virus gonna virus! Masks are only for control! Spain had 527 cases today, explain they locked down 6 months ago. How many of those lives saved had comorbidities?

Someone else asked, did you even read this article? I breezed through some of it and she seemed to explain the similarities to what China had, what was similar to the original SARS and what was found that has never existed in a coronavirus. Then gave genome and spike receptor specifics backing up her claims. Instead of examining the reported facts, you scream politics.

Sorry, no, didn't read it that closely, since I emailed with Derek Lowe about it and he said it was more recycled crap she has been saying for months and noted the connection to the far right wing site that "funded" her "research" which resulted in a non-peer reviewed article that she couldn't even get a regular preprint source to publish. That and the ridiculous bioweapon claim were enough for me to reject this woman as a nutcase.

I then read the comments that Dr. Rasmussen, one of the leading virologists, said (in the link @ArminRU provided), where she said some of it is "fictional" and much of it misrepresented, as was the criticism of her earlier claims months ago. In addition, Kristian Anderson, one of the foremost experts on this virus and its genome/evolution, savaged the paper in a recent tweet, linked below.

And finally, the most ridiculous part of her media blitz in interviews including on Tucker Carlson tonight (but not in the paper as far as I can tell) is she claims that this is not only man-made, but that it was released as a weapon by the Chinese. Even if one thought it was created by the Chinese military, what kind of buffoons would they have to be to release it on their own people first, causing tens of thousands of deaths (the real number). If they wanted to unleash it on the west, why not have it go there first and maybe, you know, have a vaccine ready for their own people so none of them would get infected and die?

Perhaps she had a tough time in China or Hong Kong and that sucks, but she's clearly making this crap up to try to embarrass China and curry favor with Trump and the far right. Sadly some of this appears to be working, even on smart folks like you. This "paper" and her becoming a very short term media star (like the devil doctor for HCQ) are another sad chapter in the perversion and politicization of science.

This evening on Tucker Carlson Tonight, Chinese virologist Dr. Li-Meng Yan presented evidence of her confirmation that the Chinese coronavirus was man-made in a Chinese military bio lab and was intentionally released on the West to cause damage, most likely to prevent Donald Trump’s re-election.

Last edited:
Sorry, no, didn't read it that closely, since I emailed with Derek Lowe about it and he said it was more recycled crap she has been saying for months and noted the connection to the far right wing site that "funded" her "research" which resulted in a non-peer reviewed article that she couldn't even get a regular preprint source to publish. That and the ridiculous bioweapon claim were enough for me to reject this woman as a nutcase.

I then read the comments that Dr. Rasmussen, one of the leading virologists, said (in the link @ArminRU provided), where she said some of it is "fictional" and much of it misrepresented, as was the criticism of her earlier claims months ago. In addition, Kristian Anderson, one of the foremost experts on this virus and its genome/evolution, savaged the paper in a recent tweet, linked below.

And finally, the most ridiculous part of her media blitz in interviews including on Tucker Carlson tonight (but not in the paper as far as I can tell) is she claims that this is not only man-made, but that it was released as a weapon by the Chinese. Even if one thought it was created by the Chinese military, what kind of buffoons would they have to be to release it on their own people first, causing tens of thousands of deaths (the real number). If they wanted to unleash it on the west, why not have it go there first and maybe, you know, have a vaccine ready for their own people so none of them would get infected and die?

Perhaps she had a tough time in China or Hong Kong and that sucks, but she's clearly making this crap up to try to embarrass China and curry favor with Trump and the far right. Sadly some of this appears to be working, even on smart folks like you. This "paper" and her becoming a very short term media star (like the devil doctor for HCQ) are another sad chapter in the perversion and politicization of science.

This evening on Tucker Carlson Tonight, Chinese virologist Dr. Li-Meng Yan presented evidence of her confirmation that the Chinese coronavirus was man-made in a Chinese military bio lab and was intentionally released on the West to cause damage, most likely to prevent Donald Trump’s re-election.

Just wanted to thank you for your posting (Covid 19- 9/15) of the CELL article on the PITT/UPMC information on the monoclonal antibody Ab8 which has the potential to neutralize Covid 19.

I read the article in its entirety and it is quite impressive.

Science deniers never make the effort to read the actual details that go into a research study before valid scientific conclusions are reached.

Science deniers just take superficial statements/comments and consider/report them as fact.

Nearing 200,000 deaths due to Covid 19 in the United States and people are fighting about not wearing mask or social distancing.

The United States has about 4.5% of the Global Population but about 25% of the Global Deaths due to Covid 19. For a nation with the BEST Hospitals/Research (the US has received 50% of all Nobel Prizes) you have to conclude that our response to Covid 19 was not handled well.

Hopefully, we will have a Covid 19 vaccine for prevention and a monoclonal antibody to neutralize Covid 19 for those individual who come down with the virus and need to be hospitalized.

Stay Safe!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Mexico catching up to Sweden. Nobody is dying in Sweden. Very few new cases. This virus seems to hit hard on every region and then fizzle out. Some regionals have done better than others and the reasons have been mentioned.

Biden won the first debate last night ! And he didn’t even have to show up !!!
We can count on him not showing up if he wins. If you want a guy who works his ass off and gets $hit done, Trump made the little Greek boy look invisible last night. I was never a huge Trunpy but he gets it done and the Dems have done everything they can to tear it down. I’ll never vote Dem until they change their ways.

We can count on him not showing up if he wins. If you want a guy who works his ass off and gets $hit done, Trump made the little Greek boy look invisible last night. I was never a huge Trunpy but he gets it done and the Dems have done everything they can to tear it down. I’ll never vote Dem until they change their ways.
Is that a serious quote about last night ? The guy got crushed and couldn’t answer simple questions from voters last night. He resorted to his usual lies and got called on them finally in real time by both George and the voters .

and What exactly has he gotten done ? Health care: nope , wall : nope , law and order ; nope .

Even your precious Fox News said he got ambushed . ( which if answering real questions from voters is ambushing then we’ve got a problem )

Is that a serious quote about last night ? The guy got crushed and couldn’t answer simple questions from voters last night. He resorted to his usual lies and got called on them finally in real time by both George and the voters .

and What exactly has he gotten done ? Health care: nope , wall : nope , law and order ; nope .
Will you vote for the Harris Biden admin? Lol not a chance. Go burn down some cities and execute cops. Whatever it takes to win right?

Will you vote for the Harris Biden admin? Lol not a chance. Go burn down some cities and execute cops. Whatever it takes to win right?
What does that even mean ? Stop fear mongering . If you want to talk about crime ; crime is worse now under Trump than it was under Obama , particularly violent crime . Also as I posted last night , violent crime is tops in 7 out of 10 repub states in the country ; but Donny says its only democratic states and cities . I call that fear mongering and not being truthful .
Problem is, most all Trumpbots don’t care , or are too lazy to look up these facts .

Fake news!! Virus gonna virus! Masks are only for control! Spain had 527 cases today, explain they locked down 6 months ago. How many of those lives saved had comorbidities?

Where are all the positives in Washington from the large maskless gathering at the White House? It's been 2 weeks.

Well golly that debunks it. Nothing to see. What would we do without Chinese propaganda. Color me shocked that a scientist wants to live another day.

Last edited:
Where is Uncle Peas?
Ha,
Joe has the best strategy right now , just let Donny keep taking , stumbling bumbling , lying and getting owned by voters . He legitimately has no platform and can’t even discuss any policy in any detail .
Since he can’t run on his own record his platform is projecting his failures ( mainly law and order and Covid ) onto Biden . I hope Joe brings some of these voters to the debates ! Donny can’t handle them because they aren’t cult members

I though this was a COVID thread? Why was my post removed yesterday mr moderator? Are you going to allow all these political posts?

Here all you need to know about the current resident of the white house and his performance with regard to COVID

America is literally sick of winning.

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

Reactions: Greg2020

200,000 Americans dead of C19:

tRUMP is the worst president ever.

I though this was a COVID thread? Why was my post removed yesterday mr moderator? Are you going to allow all these political posts?

Here all you need to know about the current resident of the white house and his performance with regard to COVID

America is literally sick of winning.

Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:
Recovered:

It just passed 200,000 death yesterday.

From US 7dma 2nd wave peak:

Cases down from 69K on July 25th to 38K as of yesterday.

Deaths down from 1177 on Aug 4th to 881 as of yesterday.

Now you do expect that 3 week lag in cases to deaths, so let's go back to late august when cases were at 42K. At which point we saw a 40% decrease from peak. Deaths are currently down 25% from peak.

So i think we are seeing in the 2nd wave what we saw in the 1st wave, and that, despite the improved treatments, the deaths linger. Both the case and death curves can spike upward, and the case curve can decrease pretty quickly but the death curve experiences a much slower downward trend.

For you guys hoping for more deaths and a 2nd wave, you know who you are and will prob reply to this, it's possible if the CCP sends us a 2nd bio-attack. Anything is possible with the evil CCP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yeah Baby
FYI:

Eli Lilly reports a reduced rate of hospitalization for coronavirus patients using its antibody treatment

Was hoping to see more dramatic results. Think we need to see results of the other trials they are running before we really know. Sample sizes are tiny.....did the middle dosage work or did they just get lucky with the participants? Why did the largest dose fail? Should be interesting if they try to get an EUA based on these foggy results.

For you guys hoping for more deaths and a 2nd wave, you know who you are, it's possible if the CCP sends us a 2nd bio-attack. Anything is possible with the evil CCP.

Nobody is hoping for more deaths in here. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you forget where you are and you think that you’re still in some far right FB comments section for some wacky article.

As an extension of my post above, and probably a better example as it doesn't include rises in cases in other parts of the country which have yet to experience the accompanying deaths.

Florida's peak 7dma in cases was July 17th with 11,940 cases. Peak deaths was August 5th at 184. Current 7dma cases is 2,680, current 7dma death is 124(was recently down to 80ish though that was influenced by labor day weekend reporting). We should again go back 3 weeks in cases but we still see case #'s way off the peak at around 3500. So a 70ish% decrease in cases, but a 40ish% decrease in deaths.

Even your precious Fox News said he got ambushed . ( which if answering real questions from voters is ambushing then we’ve got a problem )

It's pretty funny Don and his supporters are worrying about Biden's mental health when Donald gives the following answers. Perhaps he's better off staying in the basement:

Donald is dumb as turd on the sidewalk. You really have to wonder about folks that look at this guy and think he's smart or looking out for their family's interest. He can't articulate why he should be given a second term, seems to not really understand he's President currently, and is responsible for the deaths of countless Americans. Outside owning the libs, why are folks okay with such failure? I'll never understand.

As an extension of my post above, and probably a better example as it doesn't include rises in cases in other parts of the country which have yet to experience the accompanying deaths.

Florida's peak 7dma in cases was July 17th with 11,940 cases. Peak deaths was August 5th at 184. Current 7dma cases is 2,680, current 7dma death is 124(was recently down to 80ish though that was influenced by labor day weekend reporting). We should again go back 3 weeks in cases but we still see case #'s way off the peak at around 3500. So a 70ish% decrease in cases, but a 40ish% decrease in deaths.

Yeah I keep waiting for the drop, but it never comes. Reminds me of NJ and watching the deaths not drop for weeks and weeks and weeks.

It's pretty funny Don and his supporters are worrying about Biden's mental health when Donald gives the following answers. Perhaps he's better off staying in the basement:

Donald is dumb as turd on the sidewalk. You really have to wonder about folks that look at this guy and think he's smart or looking out for their family's interest. He can't articulate why he should be given a second term, seems to not really understand he's President currently, and is responsible for the deaths of countless Americans. Outside owning the libs, why are folks okay with such failure? I'll never understand.
Spot on,
I read this whole thread and posted a lot of it last night on the Covid thread...Like if you are voting for him, at least say I just don't want to vote for Biden or Harris or whatever and Trump is the only other candidate. I still can't believe that people listen to this nonsense and actually support him . Like you said, he has no platform besides projecting all of his failures onto Biden and saying this is what would happen if he's president. That's it; that's his entire platform right now. And when someone challenges him on a real policy or issue, he responds like he did in the video's above; its truly embarrassing and pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT