ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Daily COVID-19 Thread - 9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for solid debate, so I welcome you challenging #'s, but don't act like your main intent has not been to troll these threads.

Numbers certainly is on one side of the debate but his posts are for the most part very evenly keeled. That doesn't go for everyone on that side of the debate, but it does for him.
Thanks. People may not believe this, but while I obviously lean a little left politically (vs. the whole population; more than a little left on a board with a high% of older white males who lean heavily right) and my political posts certainly reflect opinions and have some bias, even if citing facts, I'm sure, I have never knowingly made a purely scientific post that was biased. That's not to say that I haven't been wrong a few times (like comparing this to the flu in Jan/early Feb), but that's different from posting something on a science topic that wasn't 100% what I actually believed to be true at the time.

And on the two biggest elements of the pandemic response that we bungled, I was absolutely correct, with well demonstrated data behind my posts, and much earlier than most: the fact that we needed aggressive early testing/tracing/isolating in place by late February if we wanted to be able to "see" the spread of the virus to hopefully contain/mitigate it and the fact that we should've pulled out all the stops in early March (way before CDC, WHO, and Fauci) to do what we could to implement universal masking where distancing was not possible, to greatly reduce transmissions/cases, which is the key to reducing deaths.

Sorry, there's 0.0% chance anyone will look at Sweden as a success story let alone a country that handled it best. They have one of the top 10-11 worst per capita death rates in the world (excluding 2 tiny countries that aren't relevant and out of the 50 countries with betweeen 5MM and 15MM, their per capita death rate is the 3rd worst. I can't imagine them not being in the conversation with the US and a few others for countries that handled this the worst.

Source for the data you're citing?

Source for the data you're citing?
Seriously? 6+ months in and you're not familiar with Worldometers?

There were plenty of people who were wrong at the start of this. No one was going to perfectly head off a virus-borne illness for which there was no treatment or vaccine, so point at this folks all you want. The thing is, they changed their message as we leaned more and they ultimately benefitted politically from it. People want leadership, empathy, and they want information regardless of how bad it is. The reason why President Trump has not enjoyed a similar effect is that he politicized the virus itself early on, politicized mitigation efforts saying they were a personal slight at against him, has contradicted his own health experts to this very day, and is now on record as having flat-out lied to each and every American.

This all could have been a true MAGA-moment. He could have said were all in this together and that we’re going to buckle down as one country to protect everyone regardless of red/blue state bs. People would have understood, rallied around him, and he’d be coasting into November. We wouldn’t even have been talking about whether the B1G will play. But, liars going to lie and the stock market and keeping up appearances were more important than your life, my life, and everyone’s life.
excellent post. The problem is Donny is incapable of leading and bringing people together . If he’s not hyping up his base with propaganda and partisan crap he doesn’t know what to do . It’s why he basically does these “rallies” no matter what the environment . It’s why he got crushed in his town hall the other day ; because he’s incapable of answering anything of substance because all he knows is blaming the other size and using small simple words for his base to understand .
You are so right ; he could have brought everyone together ; it could have been a 9-11 moment for him and if he had acted with any semblance of leadership he would be way ahead right now I believe . Instead , he is still using the blue states vs red states again as if he’s not the president of the whole country . Earth to Donny, the virus doesn’t care who it attacks .

Continuing to prove your idiocy you are talking about information that is now 100 years old. Science evolves as do materials over the course of 100 years and there was a helluva lot less capability with regards to virology research and understanding transmisison. Masks have been proven effective....it's just too bad Donnie didn't actually follow the science and listen to his advisors instead of peddling conspiracy theories. He and you are a couple of bumbling morons who wouldn't understand science if it bit you in the ass.

I think we’ve seen from most of his posts Proud isn’t capable of rational thoughts and isn’t very bright . Unfortunately this is what much of Donnys base is .

Numbers certainly is on one side of the debate but his posts are for the most part very evenly keeled. That doesn't go for everyone on that side of the debate, but it does for him.
+1
Numbers is very biased and loses credibility by ignoring data and facts that he doesn't agree with. This is why so many posters have tuned out this thread.

Sorry, there's 0.0% chance anyone will look at Sweden as a success story let alone a country that handled it best. They have one of the top 10-11 worst per capita death rates in the world (excluding 2 tiny countries that aren't relevant and out of the 50 countries with betweeen 5MM and 15MM, their per capita death rate is the 3rd worst. I can't imagine them not being in the conversation with the US and a few others for countries that handled this the worst.

did you see the video I posted....i bet not

i will post it again

no masks, deaths are a trickle a week, cases per week about 100

yes alot of deaths early and in nursing homes...see Murphy and Cuomo but look at em now

WARNING WARNING..LOOK AWAY...THIS VIDEO SHOWS PEOPLE NOT WEARING MASKS SHOPPING IN STORES.......OH THE HORROR

+1
Numbers is very biased and loses credibility by ignoring data and facts that he doesn't agree with. This is why so many posters have tuned out this thread.
If #'s has lost credibility for some of his posts then most everyone in this thread has lost significantly more.

Truthfully talk like this is what has ruined this thread. I mean if you disagree with #'s, then argue the point, find the data, do the work. Resorting to this type of "#'s loses crebility" post is lame.

Thanks. People may not believe this, but while I obviously lean a little left politically (vs. the whole population; more than a little left on a board with a high% of older white males who lean heavily right) and my political posts certainly reflect opinions and have some bias, even if citing facts, I'm sure, I have never knowingly made a purely scientific post that was biased. That's not to say that I haven't been wrong a few times (like comparing this to the flu in Jan/early Feb), but that's different from posting something on a science topic that wasn't 100% what I actually believed to be true at the time.

And on the two biggest elements of the pandemic response that we bungled, I was absolutely correct, with well demonstrated data behind my posts, and much earlier than most: the fact that we needed aggressive early testing/tracing/isolating in place by late February if we wanted to be able to "see" the spread of the virus to hopefully contain/mitigate it and the fact that we should've pulled out all the stops in early March (way before CDC, WHO, and Fauci) to do what we could to implement universal masking where distancing was not possible, to greatly reduce transmissions/cases, which is the key to reducing deaths.

I wasn't even talking politics, I just mean on the side that thinks Covid is a serious issue that requires significant measures to keep it in check.

But politics has become so entwined in the covid discussion that I guess it's saying the same thing.

There were plenty of people who were wrong at the start of this. No one was going to perfectly head off a virus-borne illness for which there was no treatment or vaccine, so point at this folks all you want. The thing is, they changed their message as we leaned more and they ultimately benefitted politically from it. People want leadership, empathy, and they want information regardless of how bad it is. The reason why President Trump has not enjoyed a similar effect is that he politicized the virus itself early on, politicized mitigation efforts saying they were a personal slight at against him, has contradicted his own health experts to this very day, and is now on record as having flat-out lied to each and every American.

This all could have been a true MAGA-moment. He could have said were all in this together and that we’re going to buckle down as one country to protect everyone regardless of red/blue state bs. People would have understood, rallied around him, and he’d be coasting into November. We wouldn’t even have been talking about whether the B1G will play. But, liars going to lie and the stock market and keeping up appearances were more important than your life, my life, and everyone’s life.

Always nice to see a level-headed post in these threads

Reactions: Greg2020

Seems like Arizona has been severely undercounting Covid deaths as they have 5,400 confirmed covid deaths, but over 9,000 excess deaths.

Looks like Texas also was fudging their numbers back when they were yelling open up open up.

Could be a game-changer for football spectators, concert-goers, shoppers, schoolchildren --virtually everyone.

Reactions: biker7766
I am a bit confused every post in this thread is political and yet the thread isn't locked. Is it a case where all you have to do is stick an OT at the beginning of the subject line and then it can be a political thread?

Nah.

I actually stopped using worldodometers for NJ stats as they are incomplete. They only compile a handful of counties and it always comes 100 to 200 cases a day lower than the official state numbers.

I actually stopped using worldodometers for NJ stats as they are incomplete. They only compile a handful of counties and it always comes 100 to 200 cases a day lower than the official state numbers.
they also have nj with 100 more deaths than the state is reporting

I am a bit confused every post in this thread is political and yet the thread isn't locked. Is it a case where all you have to do is stick an OT at the beginning of the subject line and then it can be a political thread?
Special rules for this thread, read the first post by richie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT