OT: Daily COVID thread — 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Hey everybody we are going to try something new. Instead of having the one big COVID thread, we are going to start a new daily COVID thread every single day and lock it every night around midnight with a new one starting shortly after.

We will be a little lax on the board rules in this thread about political postings as long as it pertains to COVID. However the rest of the board rules are still in full effect, there will be no fighting, no name calling, etc. There are also no warnings in this thread, if you step out of line here or attack others for no reason, a ban will immediately follow.

With that being said, post away.

zero hospitalizations....26K college positives

Exactly! Same at Iowa St. and most other colleges- zero hospitalizations! Does that mean virus has weakened or mutated down? Probably so but no officials will tell you that, yet.

Europe doing much worse than the US now. Hmmmm.

Wrong as usual. The EU+UK had 33K cases yesterday, while the US had 39K cases (and it was 27K for the EU/UK and 35K for the US 2 days ago), plus the EU/UK has about 1.4X the population of the US, so the US is still well ahead of the EU in cases per capita (1.6X as many). However, it's definitely true that the huge gap from June/July has narrowed considerably since August and the 7-day average is still increasing for the EU and decreasing for the US, although the positivity rates are lower in the EU (more testing) and deaths per capita are far lower (1163 the last week in the EU/UK vs. over 5000 in the US during that time), although the lag in deaths should send the EU numbers up in coming weeks.

That tweet is from someone completely ignorant of H1N1 vs. COVID. H1N1 only resulted in 12K deaths, much lower than a typical flu season (34K deaths) and obviously far lower than COVID (nearly 200K deaths now). Yes H1N1 was worse in children and if that were the only concern I'd say let's not worry about schools and COVID, but the real issue here is the risk of infected children infecting teachers, staff and family members who are at far greater risk than from H1N1. You're quite good at finding irrelevant tweets.

A certain poster is not going to be happy when he wakes up and sees his thread is locked.
As per my post yesterday, doesn't matter much, as I'm about to get much busier with my consulting gig for my old company (will now be working on bringing a new COVID antiviral manufacturing process to market), so my posting here was likely to go way down anyway. I guess this is better than no thread, but it'll make having useful exchanges over multiple days more difficult and will make finding posts harder, but I get why they're doing it, since it makes for little need to moderate something that can only get so far out of hand in 1 day. It's just sad that the CE crowd has brought it to this - that first thread was just so much better, at least for a few months. I can see this one being like Groundhog Day with a similar set of posts every day.

Micheal Levitt said Israel would only have 10 deaths total from Corona virus. They have more than 500 and just announced that they are doing a nationwide lockdown again. I could care less what he says.
Try to address the topic at hand. Love how some of you people just want to revert back to something someone said that you don't like or want to quibble with without addressing the topic at hand. Many people care less what you have to say, yet you keep saying things.

Try to address the topic at hand. Love how some of you people just want to revert back to something someone said that you don't like or want to quibble with without addressing the topic at hand. Many people care less what you have to say, yet you keep saying things.
I am impeaching his credibility. Everyone cares what I have to say whether they love it or hate it.

As per my post yesterday, doesn't matter much, as I'm about to get much busier with my consulting gig for my old company (will now be working on bringing a new COVID antiviral manufacturing process to market), so my posting here was likely to go way down anyway. I guess this is better than no thread, but it'll make having useful exchanges over multiple days more difficult and will make finding posts harder, but I get why they're doing it, since it makes for little need to moderate something that can only get so far out of hand in 1 day. It's just sad that the CE crowd has brought it to this - that first thread was just so much better, at least for a few months. I can see this one being like Groundhog Day with a similar set of posts every day.
Well I hope you are making 3X what you used to make as a consultant. I used to work for a company that gave an early retirement package to most older employees. Only to hire them back at 3X pay. Good luck and get that COVID process to market!

I am impeaching his credibility. Everyone cares what I have to say whether they love it or hate it.
There is nothing to impeach, Counselor (thought you weren't a lawyer, formerly). He was tweeting a tweet from another individual who got banned from LinkedIn for citing and quoting an article questioning the value of lockdowns. Are you debating that the tweet is real? We can all be assure that you are not for real, because all you ever do is toe the same party line and do the same tap dance to the same tune.

Any clue when trial news of the Merck antiviral will be hitting? Supposed to be any day now.

Reactions: Greg2020
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT