OT: Daily COVID Thread - 9/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
Hey everybody we are going to try something new. Instead of having the one big COVID thread, we are going to start a new daily COVID thread every single day and lock it every night around midnight with a new one starting shortly after.

We will be a little lax on the board rules in this thread about political postings as long as it pertains to COVID. However the rest of the board rules are still in full effect, there will be no fighting, no name calling, etc. There are also no warnings in this thread, if you step out of line here or attack others for no reason, a ban will immediately follow.

With that being said, post away.

So, this guy Caputo at HHS isn't just kidding around about QAnon level stuff and trying to muzzle the CDC in his day job, as per the post linked above. You have to see what he said over the weekend about nutty conspiracies and to see just how crazy this guy is - in the past, this would be a recipe for a quick firing, but I assume Trump will compliment him. However, this should scare the crap out of anyone who wants to see a return to normalcy in government. And this is a guy with zero medical/health experience, in charge of communications in the Department of Health and Human Services, telling the CDC how to write their weekly medical reports. Hey, Richie said we had more political leeway...

Caputo, who has faced criticism for leading efforts to warp CDC weekly bulletins to fit Trump’s pandemic narrative, suggested that he personally could be in danger: “You understand that they’re going to have to kill me, and unfortunately, I think that’s where this is going.”

More: “And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin. The drills that you’ve seen are nothing… If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

Interesting paper from folks at UCLA/U of Washington, analyzing emergency health records from an LA area health system, strongly suggesting there was unknown (at the time) community COVID transmission going on from late December through February in Southern California, which would likely mean the same was occurring elsewhere, especially near major international travel entry points, like the NY/NJ area. They analyzed reports of unusual coughs and found unusually high levels during this time. Unfortunately, they had no retained samples from any of these patients to confirm COVID via PCR test (surprised we haven't seen more of that, like we saw in the Seattle Flu Study in Feb/March, where retained flu samples showed there was community COVID spread weeks before it was "officially" discovered).

Conclusions: A significantly higher number of patients with respiratory complaints and diseases starting in late December 2019 and continuing through February 2020 suggests community spread of SARS-CoV-2 prior to established clinical awareness and testing capabilities. This provides a case example of how health system analytics combined with EHR data can provide powerful and agile tools for identifying when future trends in patient populations are outside of the expected ranges.

Back of the envelope numbers that put a perspective on why people are acting the way they are.
Chances of having tested positive: 1 in 50
Chances of being hospitalized: 1 in 1,000
Chances of dying: 1 in 1,700
Chances of dying if you don’t have any comorbitities: 1 in 20,000

It’s likely most people don’t know anyone directly or even indirectly hospitalized or killed by this disease. Yet they have been asked to totally change their lifestyle and potentially have lost their job. I’m not trying to justify behavior but rather explain it.

So, this guy Caputo at HHS isn't just kidding around about QAnon level stuff and trying to muzzle the CDC in his day job, as per the post linked above. You have to see what he said over the weekend about nutty conspiracies and to see just how crazy this guy is - in the past, this would be a recipe for a quick firing, but I assume Trump will compliment him. However, this should scare the crap out of anyone who wants to see a return to normalcy in government. And this is a guy with zero medical/health experience, in charge of communications in the Department of Health and Human Services, telling the CDC how to write their weekly medical reports. Hey, Richie said we had more political leeway...

Caputo, who has faced criticism for leading efforts to warp CDC weekly bulletins to fit Trump’s pandemic narrative, suggested that he personally could be in danger: “You understand that they’re going to have to kill me, and unfortunately, I think that’s where this is going.”

More: “And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin. The drills that you’ve seen are nothing… If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

Yawn. Useless blather.

Caputo,
Like the rest of trumps loony toon administration belongs in a mental institution when all this is done . What an embarrassment that we actually have people like this working under a president . Mental Heath is nothing to laugh at , but these people shouldn’t be in any position of authority.

Not directly covid-19 related, but related. For F's sake, not a tinfoil hat kind of person, but is the health industry and hospital systems colluding to make people more sick and susceptible to covid-19? Doctors with a backbone are speaking up on Twitter, but will anything change? This is why some people, namely those who are insulin resistant and prone to T2D, cannot figure out how to lose weight. What kind of message is the health system sending to people on proper diet?

the chinese scientist (who said she has the proof the virus originated from a lab in china not naturally evolved) has finally published her paper

too technical for me. anyone here can help everyday Joe to understand the significance?

Would like to have a chart of those "covid cases".Four categories in one chart of those people we know, not just heard of, or follow in Star Magazine as to"
1. What number of you know people who tested positive
2. Who knows someone who got sick?
3. How many people do you personally know who was admitted to a hospital?
4. Do you know anyone who has died of covid-19 or covid -19 with co-morbidity?

State of FL has removed the local Covid driveup test site nearby this week and plan to consolidate testing centers around the state.

I got both Covid and Antibody tests there last week. Only one car ahead of me for each test.

Demand for public testing here is clearly in decline for now.

Not directly covid-19 related, but related. For F's sake, not a tinfoil hat kind of person, but is the health industry and hospital systems colluding to make people more sick and susceptible to covid-19? Doctors with a backbone are speaking up on Twitter, but will anything change? This is why some people, namely those who are insulin resistant and prone to T2D, cannot figure out how to lose weight. What kind of message is the health system sending to people on proper diet?

When I visited a family member in the hospital I thought the food was a bad joke. They made me run out and get "real" food. I guess this is a nationwide issue.

Awful. And sadly, food at public schools is no better. So our old, sick, and young get screwed by the system.

Awful. And sadly, food at public schools is no better. So our old, sick, and young get screwed by the system.
What they are permitted to serve and place in school vending machines is disgusting. Yet, you will beat your CICO (calories in, calories out) drum when we debate diet and exercise. There is quite a bit of information out there on people who are insulin-resistant, pre-diabetic or have T2D. For your average person who does not do the research, they become conditioned to eat garbage pushed by schools and hospitals. Research has shown that the consumption of such food becomes addictive, causing a person to consume more of the same food. For a lot of people, cutting carbs/going keto knocks out such cravings and over-eating.
Not sure where it will go in the UK, but Boris Johnson has taken action to tackle obesity. Will the US do anything about it, or will it cut too far into the health care profits?

Mississippi wins the wtf award. They were not hit early, had no imported cases, don’t have a major hub city, have extremely low population density.

Check out who is on the bottom of this list.

Hospitals will bang you for every cent upon entering the emergency room yet the food not so good, you would think since they are emptying your bank account they would at least feed you well.

Check out who is on the bottom of this list.

Good point.

They also have high cases per 1M, so I’ll assume they also did a piss poor job at social distancing.

Reactions: Greg2020
Don't forget , today is don't wear a mask day in the US. Enjoy breathing and FREEDOM everyone.
You really hate your friends, family, neighbors etc. enough to unknowingly infect them with a potentially deadly virus, especially if they're over 50 by not wearing a mask? Really? You must be so proud to be making such a trivial gesture towards freedom that could be such a hateful gesture towards your fellow human beings.

What they are permitted to serve and place in school vending machines is disgusting. Yet, you will beat your CICO (calories in, calories out) drum when we debate diet and exercise. There is quite a bit of information out there on people who are insulin-resistant, pre-diabetic or have T2D. For your average person who does not do the research, they become conditioned to eat garbage pushed by schools and hospitals. Research has shown that the consumption of such food becomes addictive, causing a person to consume more of the same food. For a lot of people, cutting carbs/going keto knocks out such cravings and over-eating.
Not sure where it will go in the UK, but Boris Johnson has taken action to tackle obesity. Will the US do anything about it, or will it cut too far into the health care profits?

CICO is the bottom line for weight loss. You can eat nothing but donuts and lose weight. It's just human biology. However, if you did that you would feel like shit and be hungry all day. It would be a very unhealthy lifestyle, but your weight would be under control.

Once again, what you are saying in no way conflicts with what I am saying.

Paging @DJ Spanky - think I asked this before but don't recall seeing an answer. Any idea why the reply feature appears to quote a different post, looking at the preview, even though the quoted post is actually correct?
Yeah, I noticed that a few times as well.

CICO is the bottom line for weight loss. You can eat nothing but donuts and lose weight. It's just human biology. However, if you did that you would feel like shit and be hungry all day. It would be a very unhealthy lifestyle, but your weight would be under control.

Once again, what you are saying in no way conflicts with what I am saying.
I give up. You don't understand, don't want to understand, or just enjoy busting chops.

I give up. You don't understand, don't want to understand, or just enjoy busting chops.
What do you factually disagree with? I talk about weight lose while you talk about overall health. These are correlated but still different.

Last edited:
What do you factually disagree with? I talk about weight lost while you talk about overall health. These are correlated but still different.
Will you admit that for people who are insulin resistant and/or pre-diabetic that it would be impossible to "eat nothing but donuts and lose weight." As hard as they could try, they would eat more food to satisfy the hunger pangs. They basically would not be able to control their calories in. Multiple studies have shown this. It's not about being lazy or undisciplined. Carbs for insulin resistant people feed an addiction to eat more. For people who are not insulin-resistant or pre-diabetic, maybe they could get away with this strategy.

Some people have even begun to question whether carbs could be addictive in the same way that other substances or behaviors can be (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).
One major study revealed strong evidence that high-carb meals stimulate regions of the brain that are associated with cravings and rewards (5Trusted Source).

These scientists found that, like alcohol, fructose promotes insulin resistance, abnormal fat levels in your blood, and liver inflammation. Plus, it stimulates your brain’s hedonic pathway (6Trusted Source).
Many people have wondered if this is a matter of willpower, behavioral or psychological traits, or even brain chemistry.

You really hate your friends, family, neighbors etc. enough to unknowingly infect them with a potentially deadly virus, especially if they're over 50 by not wearing a mask? Really? You must be so proud to be making such a trivial gesture towards freedom that could be such a hateful gesture towards your fellow human beings.
As a 56 year old I thank you for your useless input. My wife , son and I don't wear them. My neighbors don't wear them and most of my co-workers don't wear them. AND we don't do that distance thing either. We know it's all a bunch of crap ! We are not gov't sheep like you are. So crawl back under your bed a virus is looking for you. Oh and while your under there keep us informed about the weather. Thanks. Have a swell day.
P.S. how do you know I am infecting anyone ?

As a 56 year old I thank you for your useless input. My wife , son and I don't wear them. My neighbors don't wear them and most of my co-workers don't wear them. AND we don't do that distance thing either. We know it's all a bunch of crap ! We are not gov't sheep like you are. So crawl back under your bed a virus is looking for you. Oh and while your under there keep us informed about the weather. Thanks. Have a swell day.
Herman called he said hold my beer.

Reactions: Greg2020
Will you admit that for people who are insulin resistant and/or pre-diabetic that it would be impossible to "eat nothing but donuts and lose weight." As hard as they could try, they would eat more food to satisfy the hunger pangs. They basically would not be able to control their calories in. Multiple studies have shown this. It's not about being lazy or undisciplined. Carbs for insulin resistant people feed an addiction to eat more. For people who are not insulin-resistant or pre-diabetic, maybe they could get away with this strategy.

Some people have even begun to question whether carbs could be addictive in the same way that other substances or behaviors can be (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).
One major study revealed strong evidence that high-carb meals stimulate regions of the brain that are associated with cravings and rewards (5Trusted Source).

These scientists found that, like alcohol, fructose promotes insulin resistance, abnormal fat levels in your blood, and liver inflammation. Plus, it stimulates your brain’s hedonic pathway (6Trusted Source).
Many people have wondered if this is a matter of willpower, behavioral or psychological traits, or even brain chemistry.
Good grief, we still are not having a conflict or argument. To summarize:

Me - If you eat less you will lose weight. It's all about CICO.
You - but for some people it is hard to eat less without changing their diet.
Me - yes, you are right, lowering carbs help people feel full and thus eat less.

Your appropriate respond should be - great, we agree, great chat buddy
Your currently respond is - YOU ARE WRONG I HATE YOU GO AWAY FOREVER

See the problem?

😀

Good grief, we still are not having a conflict or argument. To summarize:

Me - If you eat less you will lose weight. It's all about CICO.
You - but for some people it is hard to eat less without changing their diet.
Me - yes, you are right, lowering carbs help people feel full and thus eat less.

Your appropriate respond should be - great, we agree, great chat buddy
Your currently respond is - YOU ARE WRONG I HATE YOU GO AWAY FOREVER

See the problem?

😀
Maybe we have been misunderstanding each other? :YesNo
My bad. Maybe I am harboring grudges for your posts in the Mets threads. You have a dozen donuts, and I have a slab of bacon, and we agree. 👍

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Maybe I am harboring grudges for your posts in the Mets threads.
Probably true.....and perfectly understandable!

thumbsup.gif

Reactions: Knight Shift

Well said

Tired of the moral lecturing nonsense

Those afraid need to hide under their beds

And virus gone virus

Well said

And virus gone virus
I'm still waiting to hear from you how the virus didn't virus in South Korea or Japan, and how it took off the entire summer in Europe. Was it on holiday ?? Please let me know!

Reactions: fsg2

I don't know, but neither do you and that's exactly the point. Your stupidity endangers lives and you're exhibit A with respect to why the US has done so poorly in this pandemic. And here's another example of what COVID does and has been doing regularly for 6+ months. There are 5 dead now from that Maine wedding at a Baptist church where the pastor refuses to enforce distancing/masking, even after this tragedy. This guy should be thrown in jail or at least have his church shut down.

Edit: and now we have Exhibit B, with bac agreeing with goru. Stupidity and negligence know no bounds.

Last edited:
You’re a different kind of sheep, the worst kind that truly believes they’re thinking for themselves but in reality is doing nothing of the sort. You probably do some research, but only through sources you “trust,” ignoring all others. That, in my opinion, makes you a sheep.

You sure are sticking it to the “gov’t sheep,” though, all the while endangering yourself and others. Herman Cain applauds you from his grave.

And no, before you say it, I’m certainly not staying in my basement scared of the virus. I’m 24 and was at the bar Saturday pounding shots with my friends. I’ll be doing the same this weekend, then get tested before seeing some older family members. No one is staying scared in their basement for the duration of the pandemic, unless they are elderly, at risk, or dumb. So save your breath and quit the tired rhetoric. If you’re gonna say something dumb at least make it somewhat clever...

Back of the envelope numbers that put a perspective on why people are acting the way they are.
Chances of having tested positive: 1 in 50
Chances of being hospitalized: 1 in 1,000
Chances of dying: 1 in 1,700
Chances of dying if you don’t have any comorbitities: 1 in 20,000

It’s likely most people don’t know anyone directly or even indirectly hospitalized
or killed by this disease. Yet they have been asked to totally change their lifestyle and potentially have lost their job. I’m not trying to justify behavior but rather explain it.

That's is a good point. I know several hospitalized, some intubated. I'm not sure I know anyone who has passed, but I have been out of my normal loop the past few months.

Yes, respiratory transmission of CV-19 is a bunch of crap. That's why the tri state area got hammered with cases. If you, your family, neighbors and coworkers become infected and maintain your careless approach, you will transmit it to others.

Well said

And virus gone virus

Moral lecturing is one thing, disregarding appropriate precautions and dismissing medical science is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT