ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Daily Covid thread 9/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
DiBlasio and Cuomo were steadfast that everything was OK early in March. They fiddled while the covid fires burned, even as Washington and California had already locked down. But some people here only want to blame one person and continually rail against that one person. DiBlasio and Cuomo share a lot of the blame. To make matters worse, they cut subway service at the critical phase, resulting in more people being packed into subway cars. The subway was a major propagation point for the virus.

Excellent discussion here, which details the failings at the federal level (there were many) as well at the local NY level:

"It’s also true, however, that the cities’ leaders acted and communicated very differently in the early stages of the pandemic. Seattle’s leaders moved fast to persuade people to stay home and follow the scientists’ advice; New York’s leaders, despite having a highly esteemed public-health department, moved more slowly, offered more muddied messages, and let politicians’ voices dominate."

"New York’s mayor, Bill de Blasio, has long had a fraught relationship with the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, which, though technically under his control, seeks to function independently and avoid political fights. “There’s always a bit of a split between the political appointees, whose jobs are to make a mayor look good, and public-health professionals, who sometimes have to make unpopular recommendations,” a former head of the Department of Health told me. “But, with the de Blasio people, that antagonism is ten times worse. They are so much more impossible to work with than other administrations.”

In early March, as Dow Constantine was asking Microsoft to close its offices and putting scientists in front of news cameras, de Blasio and New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, were giving speeches that deëmphasized the risks of the pandemic, even as the city was announcing its first official cases. De Blasio initially voiced caution, saying that “no one should take the coronavirus situation lightly,” but soon told residents to keep helping the city’s economy. “Go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus,” he tweeted on March 2nd—one day after the first COVID-19 diagnosis in New York. He urged people to see a movie at Lincoln Center. On the day that Seattle schools closed, de Blasio said at a press conference that “if you are not sick, if you are not in the vulnerable category, you should be going about your life.” Cuomo, meanwhile, had told reporters that “we should relax.” He said that most infected people would recover with few problems, adding, “We don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”

More damning facts from that NewYorker article:

By early March, the city’s Department of Health had sent the Mayor numerous proposals on fighting the virus’s spread. Since there weren’t enough diagnostic kits to conduct extensive testing, public-health officials proposed “sentinel surveillance”: asking local hospitals to provide the Department of Health with swabs collected from people who had flulike symptoms and had tested negative for influenza. By testing a selection of those swabs, the department could estimate how rapidly and widely the coronavirus was moving through the city. In previous outbreaks, such studies had been tremendously useful in guiding governmental responses—and this spring Los Angeles effectively deployed the strategy, as did Santa Clara County, in California, and the state of Hawaii.

So it's clear that NY had the tools to track and contain the spread, but did not. What say you @RU848789?

Reactions: Caliknight
DiBlasio and Cuomo were steadfast that everything was OK early in March. They fiddled while the covid fires burned, even as Washington and California had already locked down. But some people here only want to blame one person and continually rail against that one person. DiBlasio and Cuomo share a lot of the blame. To make matters worse, they cut subway service at the critical phase, resulting in more people being packed into subway cars. The subway was a major propagation point for the virus.

Excellent discussion here, which details the failings at the federal level (there were many) as well at the local NY level:

"It’s also true, however, that the cities’ leaders acted and communicated very differently in the early stages of the pandemic. Seattle’s leaders moved fast to persuade people to stay home and follow the scientists’ advice; New York’s leaders, despite having a highly esteemed public-health department, moved more slowly, offered more muddied messages, and let politicians’ voices dominate."

"New York’s mayor, Bill de Blasio, has long had a fraught relationship with the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, which, though technically under his control, seeks to function independently and avoid political fights. “There’s always a bit of a split between the political appointees, whose jobs are to make a mayor look good, and public-health professionals, who sometimes have to make unpopular recommendations,” a former head of the Department of Health told me. “But, with the de Blasio people, that antagonism is ten times worse. They are so much more impossible to work with than other administrations.”

In early March, as Dow Constantine was asking Microsoft to close its offices and putting scientists in front of news cameras, de Blasio and New York’s governor, Andrew Cuomo, were giving speeches that deëmphasized the risks of the pandemic, even as the city was announcing its first official cases. De Blasio initially voiced caution, saying that “no one should take the coronavirus situation lightly,” but soon told residents to keep helping the city’s economy. “Go on with your lives + get out on the town despite Coronavirus,” he tweeted on March 2nd—one day after the first COVID-19 diagnosis in New York. He urged people to see a movie at Lincoln Center. On the day that Seattle schools closed, de Blasio said at a press conference that “if you are not sick, if you are not in the vulnerable category, you should be going about your life.” Cuomo, meanwhile, had told reporters that “we should relax.” He said that most infected people would recover with few problems, adding, “We don’t even think it’s going to be as bad as it was in other countries.”

The Virus breaking out in New York is said to have seeded much of the virus though out the country. So shouldn't Deblasio and Cuomo be blamed for much of the virus?

New York City’s coronavirus outbreak grew so large by early March that the city became the primary source of new infections in the United States, new research reveals, as thousands of infected people traveled from the city and seeded outbreaks around the country.

The research indicates that a wave of infections swept from New York City through much of the country before the city began setting social distancing limits to stop the growth. That helped to fuel outbreaks in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and as far away as the West Coast.

I'm hearing from a good friend that the numbers in his hospital have been between 0 and 15 patients for a good while now after having a high of around 400 during the peak of the virus. Why isn't NJ opening up more?
Current Covid patients in all 3 USC hospitals? 3!

Newsom keeping that place shut down is criminal. No wonder everyone is leaving.

The Virus breaking out in New York is said to have seeded much of the virus though out the country. So shouldn't Deblasio and Cuomo be blamed for much of the virus?

New York City’s coronavirus outbreak grew so large by early March that the city became the primary source of new infections in the United States, new research reveals, as thousands of infected people traveled from the city and seeded outbreaks around the country.

The research indicates that a wave of infections swept from New York City through much of the country before the city began setting social distancing limits to stop the growth. That helped to fuel outbreaks in Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and as far away as the West Coast.
Deblasio and Cuomo not only killed thousands of elderly, they infected the country.

anyone defending cuomo as a great gov needs to look at all his inaction and his defense of no bail laws in the state and citys'
crime rate increases--he's a bully with a small brain---heck even his Dad was purported to say he was not the brightest of his children and as for New Zealand , it's funny that the anti trump"expert" raving about it fails to mention they believe in borders and keeping people out--try to get citizen status there--they are a whole different place than the USA

Except that painting the street is covid-19 related because people are sick of the lockdown restrictions. Who made you the arbiter of whether something is or is not covid related?

Did you read the story? Or did you get immediately triggered and attack away? From the story:
"City business owners big and small have railed against elected officials’ handling of the coronavirus crisis and its resulting economic fallout."

Lmao, that’s a stretch to say the least. You CE people just can’t resist from posting mindless politics in any thread possible. What a strange life to live.

Reactions: Greg2020
And you wonder why political wrangling always follows your posts? You're as much to blame as anyone else, the first response in this thread.
So don't allow political comments. Have you seen the last week's worth of COVID threads filled with them? Everyone else is allowed to make political comments, but not me? Please. The original thread, which I was most active in, had very little political content, but then we had the CE board refugees start polluting the COVID thread with politics and bickering. The site decided to do very little about it and eventually decided to start allowing political commentary in the new daily COVID threads.

Also, don't blame me for the way you guys set it up. I would much rather go back to what we had in the first thread or something even stricter, like the nopolitics/no bickering COVID thread I post in on 33andrain - but are you guys prepared to moderate that way by deleting posts that have political content (including my first post in the thread) and posts where people are bickering with no useful content? I doubt it, but if you are, I have no problem playing by those rules, if they're enforced.

Lmao, that’s a stretch to say the least. You CE people just can’t resist from posting mindless politics in any thread possible. What a strange life to live.
Except the "science guy" started the political ball rolling. Again. Thanks in advance for lecturing him, maybe you should report him as well lol.

Tattletale.gif

The Astra-Zeneca/Oxford vaccine trial is still on hold in the US over a week after the trial was restarted in the UK. It's not quite clear what's going on, but many think the FDA isn't happy with the answers provided on the two volunteers with transverse myelitis, a very rare spinal inflammation, which only occurs in 1-8 out of 1MM people, so hard to spot in a 30,000 person trial and more than 2 cases of it in a trial might just derail that trial. It's not too different from Guillain Barre Syndrome (see below).

Hopefully, it's just the FDA being very thorough and not something more serious, but I can understand the FDA wanting to be extraordinarily thorough having seen what happened here in 1976 with the ill-fated swine flu vaccine. After it was given to 45MM (25% of the population) people, over 300 cases and 30 deaths from GBS were seen once the population vaccinated was large enough and I'm sure we don't want to see that again.

So there current administration isn’t pushing this through without proper testing now?

Nope but Trump should be, he wouldn't let them test anyone who didn't come back from CHYNA.

Reactions: ldwnmas

posting an article from April here classic. Maybe they thought those things because the president with his top intel told them that, and they were only allowed by the president to test people from CHYNA. Meanwhile sick people from europe were all over.

Reactions: Greg2020
So don't allow political comments. Have you seen the last week's worth of COVID threads filled with them? Everyone else is allowed to make political comments, but not me? Please. The original thread, which I was most active in, had very little political content, but then we had the CE board refugees start polluting the COVID thread with politics and bickering. The site decided to do very little about it and eventually decided to start allowing political commentary in the new daily COVID threads.

Also, don't blame me for the way you guys set it up. I would much rather go back to what we had in the first thread or something even stricter, like the nopolitics/no bickering COVID thread I post in on 33andrain - but are you guys prepared to moderate that way by deleting posts that have political content (including my first post in the thread) and posts where people are bickering with no useful content? I doubt it, but if you are, I have no problem playing by those rules, if they're enforced.

Lol...go back to what it was? Where you go off on anti Trump rants everyday but when challenged all your lemmings cry to keep politics out

The issue isnt you posting politics. Its your whiny high and mighty routine that somehow YOUR politics is FACT and everyone elses opinion doesnt count because sciency science

Lol...go back to what it was? Where you go off on anti Trump rants everyday but when challenged all your lemmings cry to keep politics out

The issue isnt you posting politics. Its your whiny high and mighty routine that somehow YOUR politics is FACT and everyone elses opinion doesnt count because sciency science
Ouch. Needed to be said though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT