ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Daily Covid thread 9/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CE nerds just can’t help themselves. Insane.

Good info RU Numbers.
I'm going to finally try to take Richie's and DJ Spanky's advice of simply ignoring the non-productive political/trolling posts and just focus on trying to provide helpful info/links on vaccines and I'm going to do whatever I can to not make political or even implied political posts, myself. Judging from the initial responses, it looks like quite a few folks see some value in this thread. Would also be nice to get some input from some of the MD/PhD types who occasionally visited the old COVID threads, like @LETSGORU91 @93RUDoc @RUfubar @UMRU - and it would be cool if we could find a virologist - surely the Venn diagram of RU football and virology overlaps for someone, lol.

This thread is a great idea to keep the CE crowd contained to none area so they stop ruining the standard, informative thread that RU numbers posts in.

The virus is fake and HCQ is the cure. Trump has done a great job with everything Covid related, etc etc.

And, go....

Sounds you’re coming around Armin. There is still room on the bandwagon. Keep up the good work.

Not buying this conspiracy, but perhaps in your experience you can explain why you feel that a vaccine prior to the election would be possible? GIven where development and data is right now. its about risk......Pharma will attempt to file when they have data to suggest that they can. Being first to market means much more than politics in the corporate world....and these companies will be around much longer than any one POTUS. Fastest vaccine to market ever was ebola at 4+ years. The new RNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna are looking to incredibly accellerate that cycle....but are unproven commercially.
I think moose is off on this one... it is so late that no vaccine even released today.. would affect anything before election day. If certain entities are using CoVid to create a specific atmosphere for election day and a couple weeks after.. they have already succeeded.

I thought this was all a plot to hurt Trump? Due to the spikes you just mentioned, big parts of Europe are shutting down again, including conservative governments. They’re all in on it too? How about India & Brazil with leaders who like Trump? Why did they join the conspiracy? Or maybe, just maybe, you’re nuts.

Um who you are fake news. Never ever said it was a plot to hurt Trump but this is how you people roll

Bizarre post

Reactions: Yeah Baby
I'm going to finally try to take Richie's and DJ Spanky's advice of simply ignoring the non-productive political/trolling posts and just focus on trying to provide helpful info/links on vaccines and I'm going to do whatever I can to not make political or even implied political posts, myself. Judging from the initial responses, it looks like quite a few folks see some value in this thread. Would also be nice to get some input from some of the MD/PhD types who occasionally visited the old COVID threads, like @LETSGORU91 @93RUDoc @RUfubar @UMRU - and it would be cool if we could find a virologist - surely the Venn diagram of RU football and virology overlaps for someone, lol.

Edit: message deleted

Last edited:
Sweden isn't exactly the poster child here

When you compare them with their contemporaries, it's not exactly something to crow about.

Rank - Country -- Deaths/Mil Population
03 --- Belgium ----- 858 --- 11,601,064
05 --- Spain ------- 656 --- 46,758,917
11 --- UK ---------- 615 --- 67,966,757
12 --- Italy ------- 591 --- 60,441,438
13 --- Sweden ------ 580 --- 10,113,497
16 --- France ------ 480 --- 65,306,406
19 --- Netherlands - 366 --- 17,143,507

What I would find interesting is comparing the rates against population density - no one has those numbers. I'd like to see it done with the US states.

Nice post. I did do Sweden vs neighbors a few times - last one was on 7/30 and not too much has changed since. I also posted a table with about 50 countries in it that included all the worldometers data, plus density - will try to update that and post it. I have not incorporated US states (other than for a few) in that, though, if that's what you're looking for.

As I've posted on the pinned thread, they did do "far, far worse" with their very hands off approach, but to see it one has to do the right comparisons. Sweden should really be compared to their Nordic neighbors, Finland and Norway, as all three have similar population densities and cultures, but had quite different approaches to COVID as Finland/Norway instituted much stricter controls for awhile and it paid off well, as both have <1/10th the deaths, per capita, as Sweden.

Sweden even has 5-6X the death rate of their Nordic neighbor Denmark, which is 6X more densely populated. There's no way in hell Sweden should be in the death per capita range of the worst European countries, like Italy, Spain, and the UK, all of whom have much greater densities. This is also why Germany stands out, as their deaths per capita are far less than their densely populated peers.

Sweden is obviously doing much better now in terms of current very low rates of cases/deaths, much more in line with Norway and Finland. Distancing is built in to the culture somewhat and reports of even more distancing have been made, but the reasons for their decline are not quite clear, since masks aren't worn by that many in the population.

Country......Cases/1MM.......Deaths/1MM........Tests/1MM.....Density (per sq mi)
Sweden...........7896.....................567.....................80K.....................56
Finland............1339......................59............. .........63K....................43
Norway............1691......................47.......................80K....................41
Denmark.........2353......................106....................257K..................345
Germany.........2492......................110.....................95K....................576
Italy.................4088......................581....................110K...................532
UK...................4451......................677....................232K..................727
Spain...............7112......................608....................142K..................243

Reactions: Greg2020
Sounds you’re coming around Armin. There is still room on the bandwagon. Keep up the good work.
Like the saying goes , if you are in your 20's and not a liberal you don't have a heart. If you are in your 40's and not a conservative you don't have a brain. He seems to be in the 20ish/lib. part of that saying. But with each passing day he get closer to the 40ish/conservative part. So we must be patient he will come around .

Nice post. I did do Sweden vs neighbors a few times - last one was on 7/30 and not too much has changed since. I also posted a table with about 50 countries in it that included all the worldometers data, plus density - will try to update that and post it. I have not incorporated US states (other than for a few) in that, though, if that's what you're looking for.
What are you doing here ?

Um who you are fake news. Never ever said it was a plot to hurt Trump but this is how you people roll

Bizarre post
I do recall you saying that there was “coronavirus hysteria” in the media, in regard to the Trump rally that ultimately killed Herman Cain. You clearly implied that the “hysteria” was to hurt Trump, when in reality the “hysteria” would have saved lives if Trump would’ve listened. Not everything that goes against your POV is fake news, despite what your dear leader would like you to believe.

I disagree - I've been following spikes through a lot of states and countries, the lag is significant, but there's always a corresponding spike in deaths.

Here's the current data as of yesterday for Wisconsin:

IkyCX6f.jpg
If you disagree then you are saying that if all of the 2k positives the other day were kids at UW that there will be a spike in deaths. They have had very few daily deaths so there could very well be a spike but my point is if it’s college kids I’m not as worried.

I am very encouraged by this update and we need to ignore the ignorant. Remember, you are always going to find a few people who are going to ignore science and the truth just like you can still find people today who believe Hitler did no wrong. Also flat earthers come to mind.

It’s my biggest fan! Leader of the Caliettes! Still standing strong on your 2MM US deaths or did that backtrack take hold?

Oh look, here’s the 114,424th idiotic post that could have been ghost written by an 8 year old with ADHD and bad grades. Sad!

Or if you're a pompous ass that professes to be an expert and an intellectual elitist .you're you know who's age

Reactions: bac2therac
Didn't COVID go away in April with the heat?

After the pews were packed for Easter?

It was only 15 cases anyway. And totally contained, airtight.

Exactly, and I don't know why people continue to make the comparison at all.
1. Sweden is a much healthier country than us and has universal healthcare
2. Sweden did not actually do a better job than their peer Scandanavian countries
3. People in Sweden are naturally spread out minus Stockholm and live much more remotely than us
We should be comparing ourselves to Germany and similar countries

Also, we've had 200000 deaths with shutting down for a period of time, mask wearing for much of the country and social distancing. Imagine how bad it would have been if we did nothing like them?
Can you guys also stop continually comparing the US to Taiwan, South Korean and New Zealand too?

The bigger question is why are you here and why are you allowed to continue posting inane, anti-science, looney-tune posts? You have yet to make a single post of any value in these threads.
Lets see, if I believed the crap you post I would be concerned about this bug you are pushing. My value is not falling for the fearmongering. Now go crawl under your bed and back to the tread you started about the , cough, cough science and play with your friends. Value enough ? And don't forget your mask.

UK back into lockdown for the next 6 months. All bars, restaurants, and pubs closed. Gatherings capped at 15 people. This will spell the end of the UK's restaurant and bar scene. Really feel for them over there, not exactly sure what is going on either. Assuming mask compliance is dropping?

UK back into lockdown for the next 6 months. All bars, restaurants, and pubs closed. Gatherings capped at 15 people. This will spell the end of the UK's restaurant and bar scene. Really feel for them over there, not exactly sure what is going on either. Assuming mask compliance is dropping?
I know early on that they wanted to take the Sweden route and were nightly criticized globally. They are sheep so they may just be posturing.

Reactions: goru1869

Why are you assuming mask compliance dropping. Many countries with the strictest lockdowns and mask mandates have spikes.

More likely....virus gonna virus

“The virus virtually affects no one“
I gambled on the games this past weekend and lost $ 200,000, but hey it could have been 2 million . I give myself an a plus for not losing 2 million. I’ll continue to bet this weekend and lose more , but it won’t be 2 million so it’ll be a success .

Add Tommy De Vito of the 4 Seasons to that list.Of course,he was 92 and never lived a Jack LaLanne lifestyle.

The only reason for the big numbers compared to 1968 is that we have perhaps 4 to 5 times the number of older people than we had then.If you were 70 in 1970 you had a foot and a half in the grave.

Well this thread is now a dog's breakfast.

What else would you expect when you guys merged the following three threads:
  • A vaccine thread created by an OP who has 5 other posters following him to just continually troll him
  • A thread that was created with the sole intent to troll the vaccine thread
  • The Daily COVID thread which often gets closed prior to the end of a day due to trolling
See a trend here? Perhaps its the player and not the game.

What else would you expect when you guys merged the following three threads:
  • A vaccine thread created by an OP who has 5 other posters following him to just continually troll him
  • A thread that was created with the sole intent to troll the vaccine thread
  • The Daily COVID thread which often gets closed prior to the end of a day due to trolling
See a trend here? Perhaps its the player and not the game.
First of all, the trend goes both ways. Look at how yesterday's thread started out,.

Secondly, Richie announced that it was going to be a daily thread to keep all Covid information in one place. That's because the long running thread became a political pissing match.

Third, if RU848789 wanted to start a different Covid thread outside of the daily thread, he should have brought it up with the moderating team.

Fourth, the trolling thread was created strictly as a satiric response to RU848789 believing he could blatantly start a Covid thread when Richie had set out the guidelines.
Of course it was a poor decision but those are the only decisions Tango makes.
Fifth, these decisions are discussed amongst the members of the moderation team before anything is done. Only in extreme situations (State Penn Trolls) do we take immediate action.

Sixth, unfortunately merging threads is detrimental to following the thread (no pun intended) of the conversation within each thread. Hence my "dog's breakfast" comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT