ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Daily Covid thread 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool stuff, thanks. As you noted, this finding could explain a lot about why convalescent plasma has had such mixed success and why the very pure new antibody cocktails, which wouldn't contain all the other "stuff" from previously infected patients in their plasma, will hopefully be far more effective.

On a perhaps related note, a paper was just published by the Ridgeback/Merck folks on their oral antiviral EIDD-2801/MK-4482 (remdesivir is only IV), showing two key findings. First, they developed a mouse model with supposedly bona fide human lung tissue that duplicates what has been seen with infectivity and impacts of various human coronaviruses, including SARS, MERS and SARS-CoV-2, meaning it should be a good model to test treatments on. And second, they showed that this antiviral is very effective, in vivo, in preventing CV2 infections, used as a pre-exposure prophylactic (and it's worth noting that many of the antivirals were ineffective in vivo, such as HCQ, despite being active in vitro).

The antiviral is in a phase II human study now, which should be rolling into an expanded phase III study soon. Below is the abstract from the paper - where they also talk about inducing a robust type-1 interferon response. Would be curious of your opinion of the paper. This is the drug they brought me back for to help on with process development, as it's all hands on deck to make huge amounts, at risk, in case the clinical trials are positive.

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-80404/v1_stamped.pdf

Abstract: All known recently emerged human coronaviruses likely originated in bats. Here, we used a single experimental platform based on human lung-only mice (LoM) to demonstrate efficient in vivo replication of all recently emerged human coronaviruses (SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV-2) and two highly relevant endogenous pre-pandemic SARS-like bat coronaviruses. Virus replication in this model occurs in bona fide human lung tissue and does not require any type of adaptation of the virus or the host. Our results indicate that bats harbor endogenous coronaviruses capable of direct transmission into humans. Further detailed analysis of pandemic SARS-CoV-2 in vivo infection of LoM human lung tissue showed predominant infection of human lung epithelial cells, including type II pneumocytes present in alveoli and ciliated airway cells. Acute SARS-CoV-2 infection was highly cytopathic and induced a robust and sustained Type I interferon and inflammatory cytokine/chemokine response. Finally, we evaluated a pre-exposure prophylaxis strategy for coronavirus infection. Our results show that prophylactic administration of EIDD-2801, an oral broad spectrum antiviral currently in phase II clinical trials for the treatment of COVID-19, dramatically prevented SARS-CoV-2 infection in vivo and thus has significant potential for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19.

I’m dying to see the results from the Merck antiviral. Hope they start P3 ASAP.

Back to back papers from the same lab at Rockefeller University report, what I believe, is a major breakthrough.

They report that 14% of people with serious COVID-19 have very limited type 1 interferon responses due to one of two mechanisms. First, some patients have inborn genetic mutations at one of 13 different genes necessary to make type 1 interferons. And second, even more interesting, some patients' own antibodies actually bind to and destroy their type 1 interferons.

The second mechanism has to be considered when giving convalescent plasma since these interferon neutralizing antibodies would be passed to the person receiving the plasma.

Here are the links from yahoo and from Science:

Overview from Yahoo news
more detail from Science
Now this is science. Not the BS the media has been shoveling since March.

Reactions: Caliknight
South Florida not completely opening up either. But they have partial capacity, which is almost better than full capacity (from a customer’s pov)
Thanks and agreed from the customer's POV. I go down that way for low key activities anyway. Beach and walking, biking, boating, outdoor laid back type stuff. Just for a break from work and everything here.

Texas is 75% open for indoor dining. While their curve is going down, they had a much later outbreak than N.J. and Herr Murphy is still imposing his will on the small business owners of NJ. I would be shocked if he gets more than 10% of the votes including the criminals he’s letting out in time to vote and all of the fraud from the mail in ballots. He’s cooked. Nobody can defend this guy nor want him back.

Thanks and agreed from the customer's POV. I go down that way for low key activities anyway. Beach and walking, biking, boating, outdoor laid back type stuff. Just for a break from work and everything here.

Planning on living there for 1-2 months this winter. Pretty excited about that! Just need to find a good deal on a furnished place.....Airbnb is sort of a ripoff after their fees

Texas is 75% open for indoor dining. While their curve is going down, they had a much later outbreak than N.J. and Herr Murphy is still imposing his will on the small business owners of NJ. I would be shocked if he gets more than 10% of the votes including the criminals he’s letting out in time to vote and all of the fraud from the mail in ballots. He’s cooked. Nobody can defend this guy nor want him back.

10% lol. Murphy's Approval Rating throughout has consistently been in the upper 60's so prepare to be shocked bigly.

Now compare that with the guy in charge of the country and see who most folks believe dropped the ball.

Reactions: Greg2020
Were these people alive before they contracted the virus? Did they die after contracting the virus?
Oh that's right. Nobody just dies anymore. We are all from the Elfen realms of Middle Earth and Tolkien's imagination. Really, you going with this logic now?
#wow

Reactions: biker7766
Orthodox Jewish likely culprits to NY spikes

Taboo though to state it

Let the tar and feathering commence

Last edited:
Oh that's right. Nobody just dies anymore. We are all from the Elfen realms of Middle Earth and Tolkien's imagination. Really, you going with this logic now?
#wow

This ^^^^^ is a real poor attempt even for the RNC

Hint: Try looking at excess deaths in 2020

.https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/09/01/comorbidities-and-coronavirus-deaths-cdc/

J&J vaccine update. Pfizer, Sanofi, and J&J are leading the way. As I mentioned in yesterday's thread, keep an eye on Sanofi. They are clearly the vaccine gold standard company in the world.

Yesterday's Sanofi news:

While Sanofi’s development timeline is slightly behind other drugmakers such as Moderna and Pfizer, which have commenced large-scale human trials, Hudson said he was confident in the tried-and-true process the company is operating. Even before the Covid-19 pandemic, the company supplied around 1 billion doses of vaccines for other infectious diseases across the world, Hudson noted.

“Hundreds of millions of influenza doses, meningitis, yellow fever, rabies — we simply know what we’re doing,” he said. “And that’s why we’re excited about our approach in Covid-19. Let’s be frank: we’re using a platform that we use every year, so we know how to do it. We know what to do, and we’re moving at speed.”

As for when Sanofi’s vaccine candidates could be available to the public, should it prove safe and effective, Hudson said: “We’re already in human studies. We’re manufacturing doses pretty much right now, and we’ll be available some point early next year.”

Now this is science. Not the BS the media has been shoveling since March.
You clearly don't understand science if you think this is science, but the research on mask effectiveness is BS, which is clearly what you think, based on past posts, going against the vast majority of scientists. I also noticed that you think HCQ works (going against the vast majority of scientists), but you have full confidence in vaccines (with most scientists) and I'm pretty sure I can guess why you have those positions. My positions are with the vast majority of scientists in all of these cases. Because science.

You clearly don't understand science if you think this is science, but the research on mask effectiveness is BS, which is clearly what you think, based on past posts, going against the vast majority of scientists. I also noticed that you think HCQ works (going against the vast majority of scientists), but you have full confidence in vaccines (with most scientists) and I'm pretty sure I can guess why you have those positions. My positions are with the vast majority of scientists in all of these cases. Because science.
Are you Thomas Dolby ? Science, science, science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT