ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dan Hurley to Uconn

Good choice for them. He’ll bring them back.

Kind of surprised though. Thought he would get a better gig.

Good choice for them. He’ll bring them back.

Kind of surprised though. Thought he would get a better gig.
plus he potentially doesnt have to fully uproot his family since the school is only an hour and a half away from Rhode Island. Although maybe they will, who knows.

plus he potentially doesnt have to fully uproot his family since the school is only an hour and a half away from Rhode Island. Although maybe they will, who knows.

Storrs is only half an hour away from Kingston? I could easily check this, but I will go out on a limb and say no way.

Con U board didn't have it as of 4 PM. though he was mentioned--as was the UMBC coach, Odom. Some over there think with the buyout owed Ollie, Hurley would be too expensive.
TL

The “just cause” dismissal would get UConn off the hook for the full amount. I think they eventually settle for a number far less than the 10 mil they would have owed Ollie.

Storrs is only half an hour away from Kingston? I could easily check this, but I will go out on a limb and say no way.
Google Maps (which I was able to check and get results for in probably the same amount of time that you typed this reply, he he...:) has it at exactly an hour and a half on the nose. ;)

Uconn is a better job than Pitt.

Uconn is the lead dog in that conference by name recognition. He can own the AAC and use that to jump to a top 10 type of job.

it is a great hire for them..that he is choosing them over Pitt is interesting...also speaks to perhaps UConn returning to Big East...if that happens its the top gig in the BigEast

Unlikely UConn gets re-entry in Big East and he's talked to both UConn and Pitt today....I'd guess UConn from what I've been passed along, but I would have been surprised if Pitt didn't get a strong consideration as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
UConn has $ issues. I have been hearing that for almost the entire season and I think it was reported on buy a New England newspaper recently

UConn has $ issues. I have been hearing that for almost the entire season and I think it was reported on buy a New England newspaper recently

Music to my ears... Uconn with money issues in the AAC and Rutgers only a few years away from its Big 10 Windfall of $35 to $45 million per year... Give or take a few million.

Hartford has money issues. Not Storrs. Unless UConn is expecting the state to help pay the entire amount to Ollie’s contract, I think they’ll still be able to finalize this deal.

Did he actually take this job? He always gets cold feet. I wonder why he would take this job in the aac when he passed on us.

Did he actually take this job? He always gets cold feet. I wonder why he would take this job in the aac when he passed on us.

The funny thing is....if he knew AD Hobbs would get that practice facility so quick and get a lot more money for assistant coaches he may have taken the Rutgers job without the crazy 7 year demand.. .. .well, his loss. And... We would not have Pikiell

Last edited:
Hartford has money issues. Not Storrs. Unless UConn is expecting the state to help pay the entire amount to Ollie’s contract, I think they’ll still be able to finalize this deal.
The state of Connecticut is cutting budgets. That hurts the state schools that has a $40M Athletic shortfall.

I believe the entire state has money issues, to the tune of $74 Billion in debt according to a news story I watched last July. I can't imagine the state helping to pay any of Ollie's contract. He's the highest paid state employee. The school or some boosters are going to have to pony up.

UConn is still receiving exit fees from the Big East, but I believe that ends on June 30.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
The “just cause” dismissal would get UConn off the hook for the full amount. I think they eventually settle for a number far less than the 10 mil they would have owed Ollie.

Seems like for the "just cause" to be clearly proven to have enough substance and be truly violative - it will then also prove substantially probation-worthy from an NCAA perspective.

The renovation / restoration of UCONN will take time - several seasons - who knows, maybe Hurley might look at a couple of years of probation as providing cover for the struggles that will be found in pursuing a better record.

I have a funny feeling that Hurley just might stay at URI. He played RU twice to get more money and I think he might just be playing u Conn and Pitt to get a lot more money from RI.

Unlikely UConn gets re-entry in Big East and he's talked to both UConn and Pitt today....I'd guess UConn from what I've been passed along, but I would have been surprised if Pitt didn't get a strong consideration as well.

Last week you said Hurley wasn't considering Uconn...

This is why I have to take your posts and "people" with a big grain a salt.

Let him go to UCONN. He's not that great of a coach. He will bomb out & get fired. Lives off the resume of his father. The guy looks burnt out already.

I wonder just how UConn trying to fire Ollie for just cause will affect the contractual demands of the coaches they are going after to replace Ollie?
I'd bet UConn will have a hard time getting a quality replacement unless the just cause part is spelled out in such a way it would be a lot harder for them to try to use than what UConn is trying with Ollie now.
You can bet Hurley will get everything he wants from one of the schools after him ,playing Pitt and UConn against each other or go back to RI and wait for the next round of job openings after the 2018-19 season is over.

Music to my ears... Uconn with money issues in the AAC and Rutgers only a few years away from its Big 10 Windfall of $35 to $45 million per year... Give or take a few million.
Rutgers has debt to pay off before spending on the athletic department can really move forward.

I doubt he'd want to go to Arizona and have to battle his brother for recruits and on the court twice every year.

Sorry, but, my comment was not serious. It was a response to a few silly comments that "Hurley can pick his own job".

ADVERTISEMENT