ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dangerously cold temperatures across the Northeast Friday and Saturday

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
NWS:
"Now that we've finally gotten our measurable snow, our attention turns to an arctic blast of cold air coming this Friday night. While our wind chills won't be near as cold as those in New England, we could still see values drop into the negative single digits and down to -20F in the Poconos. The good news is that it won't last near as long as our last cold snap back in December and we will rapidly rebound by Sunday with temperatures back into the 40s."

328481581_757089265772988_556171009651967550_n.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
Going skiing in Vermont on Monday

Thankful it is supposed to warm up by then.
Supposed to get down to -21 degrees a couple of nights before

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Going skiing in Vermont on Monday

Thankful it is supposed to warm up by then.
Supposed to get down to -21 degrees a couple of nights before
Had this same weather snowboarding yesterday - temps between 0 and 12, wind chill down to -15.

Perfect cloudless day made it actually quite comfortable. Sun intensity at elevation helped negate the frigid temps. Riding gondola all day instead of chair couldn't have hurt, either.

That said, I wish you warmer weather 🙂⛷️

Reactions: DirtyRU and wheezer
Alexa just said 29° Friday and 22° Saturday.

I guess it'll be actually cold further north.

Going to be very cold going into NYC Saturday morning for the game. Probably the coldest part of the blast.

Beware- don't bring your gas grill or generator into your home and run it for heat!!!
They failed to mention- don't light an open fire in any of your rooms or burn your furniture for heat.

Did you not have to sweep 1/8 of an inch of snow off your car in the morning? I'm still sore from the experience.
Hahaha. Me too lol! It was the only place it stuck too and It had to be my car. Never knew official measurements were done on cars now because there was zero on the ground here.

It's going to be in the 60s next Thursday. Enjoy the roller-coaster ride.

OTOT - did anyone catch the comet? I drove to south jersey Wed but couldn't see it with binoculars. Moon may have been too bright and there was a little haze. I didn't want to start another thread for this. Figured it was the same crowd. I was pretty bummed.

• Sad
Reactions: Jm0513
Going to be very cold going into NYC Saturday morning for the game. Probably the coldest part of the blast.

The wind is going to be slowing and the temperature starting to rise throughout the day. Morning going to be absolutely miserable.

A thread for one cold night, lol. Where's the outrage from T and bac? In case it's not obvious, that's sarcasm - can never have too many weather threads for me, but it is fun to point out the hypocrisy.
unnecessary.. passive aggressive

At least this is only for a day or so. Anyone remember the flash freeze and cold blast in January 1993 or 1994 when we had single digit highs for a week and the roads were skating rinks for weeks?

Reactions: Section124
A thread for one cold night, lol. Where's the outrage from T and bac? In case it's not obvious, that's sarcasm - can never have too many weather threads for me, but it is fun to point out the hypocrisy.
I know, right? I really wanted to troll the thread the way T does, albeit in my more fun-loving fashion.

But, in an inexplicable and extremely rare moment of adult restraint (for me), I opted to let it go. TBH, I'm so troubled by having exercised restraint that I'm considering making a doctor's appointment. I mean, something must be wrong with me. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: RU848789
Beware- don't bring your gas grill or generator into your home and run it for heat!!!
They failed to mention- don't light an open fire in any of your rooms or burn your furniture for heat.

They also failed to mention that burning one's pets is illegal now.

I've got my house set to a balmy 64 degrees and am wearing shorts. Guess I've acclimated to winter for the season.

They also failed to mention that burning one's pets is illegal now.

I've got my house set to a balmy 64 degrees and am wearing shorts. Guess I've acclimated to winter for the season.
Would love if our house was cooler, but you know my wife - our house is 70-71F inside, year round regardless of the outside temp. It's always fun when we have the heat on in the morning and the AC on in the afternoon/evening during spring and fall, lol.

At least this is only for a day or so. Anyone remember the flash freeze and cold blast in January 1993 or 1994 when we had single digit highs for a week and the roads were skating rinks for weeks?
Got the whole week off of school for that. Sounded great but was one of the most boring weeks of my life. First day or two were fine but then it was like house arrest.

Got the whole week off of school for that. Sounded great but was one of the most boring weeks of my life. First day or two were fine but then it was like house arrest.
Where was anyone going to go unless you were into curling or ice fishing?

Reactions: fsg2
1994, with a major ice storm on 1/7 and numerous other freezing rain/sleet events in Jan/Feb 1994, plus 1/19/94 was the last time NYC was below 0F (-2F) Unfortunately, I missed all of it as I was in Ireland for work both months. My wife still is pissed about that, lol, as she was stuck inside the house and pregnant - at least work paid to have the driveway/sidewalks plowed/de-iced while I was gone.

https://thestarryeye.typepad.com/weather/2012/02/new-york-weather-highlights-1994.html

Reactions: RUPete
Working at Johnson Hall and had to walk a couple blocks to J&J HQ for lunch. That was ****ing brutal.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Where was anyone going to go unless you were into curling or ice fishing?
Incidentally, getting a fishing catalog in the mail was the highlight of that entire week. Going out to get the mail became the best part of each day, and I got lucky with that catalog.

Probably went cover to cover a dozen times and mentally planned an equal number of exotic fishing trips I never took.

In Bergen county- did the measure anything- we saw what amounted to a frost. People I know in NYC didn’t see anything..,

The brutal cold ended up mostly being confined to NY/New England with serious record cold temps up there, including the following. However, we did have record cold in Newark (5F) and LGA (5F), but these temps are still a fair amount warmer than the record cold temps not too far to the north of there and it only got down to 15F in Philly. There were also some below 0F temps in NW NJ (not records as far as I know).

And it hit -46F up on Mt. Washington (all-time record there is -47F) with a US record wind chill of -107F last night. Just a little chilly, lol. Strange winter so far with extended record warmth most of the time, punctuated by two intense cold snaps around Christmas and now.

-10F Boston (first time -10F since the 1950s; coldest ever there is -18F)
-1F Cape Cod
-6F Block Island
-3F Nantucket
-2F Montauk
-3F Bridgeport
-13F Albany
-8F Hartford
-5F Poughkeepsie
-9F Providence
-13F Binghamton
5F Newark
5F LGA

Reactions: tico brown
My daughter in Philly had no heat when she got home from work yesterday. Landlord is supposed to get it fixed this morning. In the meantime she's staying with friends.

ADVERTISEMENT