ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dayton Flyers beat Kansas Jayhawks

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Article that mentions joy for Dayton Flyers fans, with Kansas winning the national title. Dayton beat Kansas this year. Maybe it softens the indignity of losing to UMass-Lowell and Lipscomb earlier in the season.
I’m sure that someone here might remember a similar scenario for Rutgers. Didn’t we beat Syracuse one year where The Fruit won a national title?

Reactions: RUDiddy777
And there we go. Someone couldn't look at things in a positive light without knocking Rutgers' accomplishment down a peg. 😢
Lol accomplishment? We beat the runner up without their leading scorer.

This is what I’m talking about when I say our bar for success is lowest in the country. There’s no other fan base of a P5 team claiming that as an accomplishment lmao.

FWIW Kaminsky averaged 34 mpg, 19 PPG, 8 rpg, and shot just under 42% from 3 that season.

That Cuse game- was it Herve with the crazy long three bank shot to clinch it? Must have been thinking of another game - Kareem Wright didn't do much in this one. Coleman went off though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTrack94
But like you, I was physically there, and it was glorious. Miles Mack really rose to the challenge that night. Eddie Jordan cried at the press conference, showing how much he loved RU. It was One Shining Moment.

Got a lot of texts from friends across the country after that win. It was a good day for Rutgers. And it felt nice to be the story for a good reason for once.

We are quietly a lot of people's second favorite team - people are rooting for us.

It was a fluke aberration win by Rutgers

Of course it was. Wisky wins that game 99 out of 100 - just like KU beats Dayton 99 out of 100 or we beat Lafayette 99 out of 100. Those kids from Lafayette get to say they beat a tournament team, a team that beat #1 and finished 4th in the B1G - sucks for us, but that's a story they get to tell their kids and grandkids about, especially as RU continues its ascent to powerhouse. That's the one of the beautiful things of college sports.

In the end, that L didnt really cost us much - and probably created the urgency we needed to go 4 in a row against ranked teams.

Reactions: TRU2RU and shields
Lol accomplishment? We beat the runner up without their leading scorer.

This is what I’m talking about when I say our bar for success is lowest in the country. There’s no other fan base of a P5 team claiming that as an accomplishment lmao.

FWIW Kaminsky averaged 34 mpg, 19 PPG, 8 rpg, and shot just under 42% from 3 that season.
I didn't see the need to make the point of belittling the accomplishment because UW was missing a player. You should never apologize for beating another team.

I ride most of the fans on this board because they bow to others at the expense of Rutgers.

I didn't see the need to make the point of belittling the accomplishment because UW was missing a player. You should never apologize for beating another team.

I ride most of the fans on this board because they bow to others at the expense of Rutgers.
I think it’s a significant thing to mention.

We’re calling it an accomplishment because the team we beat was the runner up. That’s simply not the case because that Wisconsin team is like a sweet 16 team without Kaminsky

I think it’s a significant thing to mention.

We’re calling it an accomplishm ent because the team we beat was the runner up. That’s simply not the case because that Wisconsin team is like a sweet 16 team without Kaminsky
Being a sweet 16 team is still means you are better than 90% of the other teams out there.

Kaminsky missed the Purdue game before Rutgers, yet UW won the game. Maybe we should give Rutgers more credit for the accomplishment than trying to minimize it. Remember who was coaching Rutgers at the time, Eddie Jordan. Jordan canceled the Kaminsky factor.🤣

In the win over Syracuse it was the last loss for Syracuse that season as they won every game after that including the NCAA Championship game. As I recall Mike Sherrod played outstanding defense on Carmelo Anthony.

Being a sweet 16 team is still means you are better than 90% of the other teams out there.

Kaminsky missed the Purdue game before Rutgers, yet UW won the game. Maybe we should give Rutgers more credit for the accomplishment than trying to minimize it. Remember who was coaching Rutgers at the time, Eddie Jordan. Jordan canceled the Kaminsky factor.🤣
I guess I just wouldn’t even put it in the same galaxy as us beating cuse in 2003

I guess I just wouldn’t even put it in the same galaxy as us beating cuse in 2003

I think we were much worse as a program and the fanbase was much more despondent in 2014-5. We were 2-16 in conference. Coming off a 61 point loss to close out the previous season. I don’t think we ever felt as outclassed in the Big East as we did those first few years in the B1G.

I think we were much worse as a program and the fanbase was much more despondent in 2014-5. We were 2-16 in conference. Coming off a 61 point loss to close out the previous season. I don’t think we ever felt as outclassed in the Big East as we did those first few years in the B1G.
I agree, but don’t necessarily think that was due to the strength of the B1G, but rather the complete collapse of the program.

In the win over Syracuse it was the last loss for Syracuse that season as they won every game after that including the NCAA Championship game. As I recall Mike Sherrod played outstanding defense on Carmelo Anthony.
Carmelo Anthony took and missed the last shot. Rutgers won 68-65.

Great Dayton Flyers-related article. Dayton OH is an amazing college basketball town. We never see articles like this around here.

ADVERTISEMENT