ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Delaware Water Gap

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
Need some tips and suggestions on things to do in/around the Delaware water gap. Heading up there early this Friday for the day. I've done some research but this board usually comes through with specifics that you can't always find online.

Looking for a trail(s) recommendation, activities (rafting/canoeing), best places to park, hard to find waterfalls/beaches etc.

Also any other things I should know before heading up there for the day.

Thanks!

Take a visit to Buttermilk falls - it's lesser known than Bushkill, it's really cool and a neat hike/steps to the top (a fun trek but not difficult if you have kids or anything too) and the water at the top is so clear, there's a little pool of water at the top of the falls and the river leading to it is nice, really warm water.

Also, if it isn't closed, checkout the Paulinskill viaduct ... It's an old closed train bridge that you can hike up the side of the mountain to the top and walk out on it, the view is amazing. A little more difficult of a climb, and if it's raining skip it. Wouldn't recommend with little kids but it's really neat.

And finally, you have to stop at the Apple Pie bakery in Delaware Water Gap, PA ... They are famous for their pies and big portions for meals - they were featured on the Food network. Really neat hole-in-the-wall place.

Tony Soprano used to see bears in his backyard. They scared the hell out of him. That was enough for me...

Ahh...my favorite weekend getaway from Belleville in the 70s...we'd leave after work on a Friday and get home for our weekly softball games late Sunday morning refreshed...it always seemed so much cooler under those trees along the brook!!!

Also, I would crap my pants if I ever encountered a bear. What are the chances of that happening?

I was just at the Delaware Water Gap on Saturday and we saw a bear with three cubs.

Buttermilk falls is pretty and the steps to the top are relatively easy. The trail that extends beyond the steps at the top of the fall is pretty but not all that easy. It is just over a mile long and you increase 1100+ feet in elevation over the course of the trail. There are a few ponds up at the top as well. Make sure you look up Buttermilk Falls at the water gap and not Buttermilk falls in Mendham Twp.

Reactions: S_Janowski
Also, I would crap my pants if I ever encountered a bear. What are the chances of that happening?
Boy Scout rule number 1 when hiking in bear territory. Put something on your belt that will make some noise while walking. Just enough so they know you are there, they do not want to see you so they will stay away. Coming upon a mother and cubs is not a good idea.

Boy Scout rule number 1 when hiking in bear territory. Put something on your belt that will make some noise while walking. Just enough so they know you are there, they do not want to see you so they will stay away. Coming upon a mother and cubs is not a good idea.
Rule number one should be to never be the slowest person in your group when hiking in bear territory.

Make sure you stop here on the way home!! Its right on Rt 46

filename-p7080823-jpg.jpg

Lots of black bear in that area. Keep your group together when hiking. Make noise, routinely. If you encounter a bear, give it space; it'll likely move along. You can slowly retreat, but stay facing the bear. If it follows you, stick together. Make as large a profile as you can, with your group members: bunch up and raise your arms and shout. If it makes a bluff charge, don't panic, as this is typical bear behavior: a bear will run toward you a few steps, swat the ground a bit, bark, etc. Again, just give it space. It'll likely move off. Never, ever turn your back. Never ever run. This will trigger its instinctive predatory urge to attack. If ever attacked, fight back with every thing you've got. Those little air horns sold in marine sections of Walmart are pretty effective in scaring off an interested bear, by the way.

Rule number one should be to never be the slowest person in your group when hiking in bear territory.
The old joke of "why are you tying your sneakers you will never outrun a bear. I do not have to outrun the bear I only have to outrun you"

Reactions: RUsSKii and mildone
Lots of black bear in that area. Keep your group together when hiking. Make noise, routinely. If you encounter a bear, give it space; it'll likely move along. You can slowly retreat, but stay facing the bear. If it follows you, stick together. Make as large a profile as you can, with your group members: bunch up and raise your arms and shout. If it makes a bluff charge, don't panic, as this is typical bear behavior: a bear will run toward you a few steps, swat the ground a bit, bark, etc. Again, just give it space. It'll likely move off. Never, ever turn your back. Never ever run. This will trigger its instinctive predatory urge to attack. If ever attacked, fight back with every thing you've got. Those little air horns sold in marine sections of Walmart are pretty effective in scaring off an interested bear, by the way.

Okay I know bear attacks are pretty rare and one of the few I ever heard of involved a Rutgers student a couple years ago...but this post is actually scaring me a little haha.

Should I have a legit concern or am I being a little b*tch about this.

Okay I know bear attacks are pretty rare and one of the few I ever heard of involved a Rutgers student a couple years ago...but this post is actually scaring me a little haha.

you are pretty much being a b*tch. just talking will keep them away, they want nothing to do w/ you.

You have way, way more chance of dying horribly in a car accident on the way there than of being harmed by a bear. So, you know, relax. :D

We see bears all the time in West Milford and only 1 person has been killed. (College student taking a picture of the bear, not a selfie)
I haven't seen one over 600 lbs in my yard, yet. Just be careful !

I did kittatinny canoe trip this past Saturday. We did River Beach to Dingmans. Trip was 12 miles and cost was about $45 per person (2 people per canoe). I had never been canoeing before but it ended up being pretty fun. Got a little tiring towards the end but overall it was a great time. We parked right over the Dingmans Ferry bridge, which is also where the canoe rental place is. They bus you up river so your trip ends back where your car is. Think parking is $7 for the day.

OK that kid did pretty much everything you could possibly do wrong to provoke a bear.
1. Sneaking up on one to take a picture. Bad Idea
2. As soon as the Bear notices you and your group, everyone turn and run yelling and screaming. Really Bad Idea.

If your not a complete moron like this group you'll be fine. Our family has encountered bears before they're easy to spot if you don't have your head up your ass. It's not like your going to the Brazilian rain forest here. Closest we ever got was a hundred yards, we simply(me nervously) walked the other way(don't run). The bear didn't give two sh*ts about us.

OK that kid did pretty much everything you could possibly do wrong to provoke a bear.
1. Sneaking up on one to take a picture. Bad Idea
2. As soon as the Bear notices you and your group, everyone turn and run yelling and screaming. Really Bad Idea.

If your not a complete moron like this group you'll be fine. Our family has encountered bears before they're easy to spot if you don't have your head up your ass. It's not like your going to the Brazilian rain forest here. Closest we ever got was a hundred yards, we simply(me nervously) walked the other way(don't run). The bear didn't give two sh*ts about us.
Use some common sense and you won't have to worry. These people were told by other hikers that a bear was nearby and they went looking for it. Accidents happen and this one had unfortunate results caused by human error.
Be alert and have a good time.

The latter. Bears and other large animals are a part of the outdoors. If you spend enough time outdoors, you're going to encounter them. Bears have killed something like 60 or 70 people ... since 1900. You're actually hundreds of times more likely to get killed by lightning and many times more likely to get killed by a dog. Even in Yellowstone, famous for those fierce, ravenous grizzlies, there were 8 fatal bear attacks through 2014 ... since 1872.

We'll call it "overly cautious." Besides, it's the mountain lions that'll really give ya trouble in those parts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

thousands of people a year do it without incident. There is a more serious risk of getting hiy crossing a street

Sometimes you get the bear.

Sometimes the bear gets you.
In other words, be sure it's a good day to die. Hm. Well if it's a day where I'm hiking through the wood with little cares other than meeting up with a bear, it really IS a good day to die. So no worries.

Don't go rafting there. its the worst. For rafting, Jim Thorpe, PA is much better. Canoeing and hiking should be fun. have a great time.

The bears are more scared of you than you are of them. But here are a few tips in case you have a run-in:

Per my education on the matter, this advice is wrong as to attacks. It is correct in that, if you see a bear, you should be passive, and speak to it in a calming tone as you back away. Go back the way you came. 90% of beat attacks result when the bear is acting defensively. In these situations, the bear doesn't want to fight you, it simply wants you to leave it space. It may even stamp its feet or make a fake charge at you. All it wants is for you to back off and leave. People who get attacked are the idiots who don't get out of the thing's way. It attacks because it thinks your intent is to harm it, it's cubs, or steal its food.

The video is wrong in the extremely rare instance that a bear acts offensively. If a BLACK bear (the only kind of bear we have in the east) ever attacks you or seems to be focused on you and stalking or hunting you as you try to get out of its way, do NOT lie down, curl up in a ball or play dead. It will eat you. In this situation, fight for your life. Yell and scream at the bear. Hold your ground...do not act passively at this point. Grab a stick and swing it at the bear. If it moves in to attack, use anything in reach to beat or injure the bear, aiming for the face. Punch it in the nose and gouge the eyes if you have nothing.

Last edited:
I did kittatinny canoe trip this past Saturday. We did River Beach to Dingmans. Trip was 12 miles and cost was about $45 per person (2 people per canoe). I had never been canoeing before but it ended up being pretty fun. Got a little tiring towards the end but overall it was a great time. We parked right over the Dingmans Ferry bridge, which is also where the canoe rental place is. They bus you up river so your trip ends back where your car is. Think parking is $7 for the day.

Is this something I would have to book in advance? How long did it take to do the 12 mile trip? Did they have options for shorter trips?

Probly looking to rent a canoe for the morning/early afternoon and do a quick trail mid/later afternoon is possible.

Per my education on the matter, this advice is wrong as to attacks. It is correct in that, if you see a bear, you should be passive, and speak to it in a calming tone as you back away. Go back the way you came. 90% of beat attacks result when the bear is acting defensively. In these situations, the bear doesn't want to fight you, it simply wants you to leave it space. It may even stamp its feet or make a fake charge at you. All it wants is for you to back off and leave. People who get attacked are the idiots who don't get out of the thing's way. It attacks because it thinks your intent is to harm it, it's cubs, or steal its food.

The video is wrong in the extremely rare instance that a bear acts offensively. If a BLACK bear (the only kind of bear we have in the east) ever attacks you or seems to be focused on you and stalking or hunting you as you try to get out of its way, do NOT lie down, curl up in a ball or play dead. It will eat you. In this situation, fight for your life. Yell and scream at the bear. Hold your ground...do not act passively at this point. Grab a stick and swing it at the bear. If it moves in to attack, use anything in reach to beat or injure the bear, aiming for the face. Punch it in the nose and gouge the eyes if you have nothing.

Yep. Because black bears are less prone to attack, when they do, it means you've really pissed them off and they're going for the jugular. The fetal ball strategy applies to grizzlies, which are more prone to attack and play more offense than black bears. While still very statistically rare, there have been a number of grizzly attacks on sleeping campers in recent history.

Is this something I would have to book in advance? How long did it take to do the 12 mile trip? Did they have options for shorter trips?

Probly looking to rent a canoe for the morning/early afternoon and do a quick trail mid/later afternoon is possible.
My group booked in advance but it seemed like people were booking that morning on site. It took about 4 hours and that included a 30 minute stop for lunch and there were times when we werent paddling at all as we waiting for other members of the group to catch up. There is a shorter 8 mile trip offered as well. Below is link for the place we used to book.

http://kittatinny.com/river-trips/canoeing/

The canoeing is fun, use to do it all the time at the Delaware Water Gap. Make sure the water is deep enough.

ADVERTISEMENT