ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Demand for Shore rentals spikes as families tire of coronavirus curbs

You Republican operatives and your childish nonsense. When did you get the orders to start using this?

If you don't like what shore towns are doing either stay home or move here and run for office. Maybe you'll have better luck than last time.
Look at the post I replied to. The photo was well deserved. :)

I think Point wants to be known as family first.

I'm not one because I could never come close to being able to afford to live here at today's prices but some people are laying down over 2 million to live or have a summer home here these days. They might not be all that willing to put up with what some of us accepted as the cost of living here long ago.

I noticed about 11 years ago that prices in Point Pleasant overall were really escalating (not just real estate, but boardwalk concessions, parking etc.) I figured they were trying to 'price out' the party crowd and probably had enough of a tax base to not *need* that income to stay above water. I also remember reading they were looking to cater more to their full-time residents and families (as you mentioned). Belmar seemed to follow soon after (I remember seeing articles about stricter closing times/ curfews for bars, stricter rental terms- if your property had frequent issues from renters you could get fined , etc.).

Joe P.

Last edited:
f2oPuWGNn3DBmULm9

I forget who but there was a poster here who was adamant that Murphy was going to reclose the parks after the first weekend.

Obviously that did not happen.
He is definitely leaning in that direction...after DiBlasio shutdown the New York beaches for MD we in NJ will see a rush to Belmar,Point Pleasant, Seaside , Asbury , Long Branch and Sandy Hook... the first sign of any increase in covid19 cases will result in closures... how do you think people are going to respond in NYC when the “ tall drink of water” attempts to fence off and barricade the beaches and areas where taxpayers are going to eat with friends and family over the holiday... pray for rain over the MD weekend ...he loves to threaten people but he and momma better follow suit with what he preaches
f2oPuWGNn3DBmULm9

I forget who but there was a poster here who was adamant that Murphy was going to reclose the parks after the first weekend.

Obviously that did not happen.

Reactions: RUaMoose
He is definitely leaning in that direction...after DiBlasio shutdown the New York beaches for MD we in NJ will see a rush to Belmar,Point Pleasant, Seaside , Asbury , Long Branch and Sandy Hook... the first sign of any increase in covid19 cases will result in closures... how do you think people are going to respond in NYC when the “ tall drink of water” attempts to fence off and barricade the beaches and areas where taxpayers are going to eat with friends and family over the holiday... pray for rain over the MD weekend ...he loves to threaten people but he and momma better follow suit with what he preaches
It was you, right?

That's ok. They'll have a hard time getting on the beach. Season passes already sold out in AP, Bradley, and Belmar. They will be limiting the number of people on the beach regardless if you already have a badge.
For now. Towns will sell more as weeks go on.

I’m putting my boat in the water next weekend (my marina is already bustling with about 2/3 of the slips already with boats in place). I hope they don’t close the ocean ... you know we’re sometimes within 50 yards of other boaters.

You Republican operatives and your childish nonsense. When did you get the orders to start using this?

If you don't like what shore towns are doing either stay home or move here and run for office. Maybe you'll have better luck than last time.

Nah, I'll just chill at Percy Priest Lake. Drink a Bud and grill up some dogs near water's edge. This Jersey shore planning thing seems more like going to work to me. This picture from last summer:

Reactions: Jm0513
It stings, but honestly I am glad that you are young, healthy and don’t have anyone you care about in your family who is at risk.

Guessing that he's the biggest "chicken little" on this board and just likes to egg people on. There's a fine line between false bravado and stupidity especially when it comes to taking on life risks vs. being around longer term to support one's family.

Guessing that he's the biggest "chicken little" on this board and just likes to egg people on. There's a fine line between false bravado and stupidity especially when it comes to taking on life risks vs. being around longer term to support one's family.

Why do I get the feeling if Montgomery was going to see an influx that increased the population by 2x or 3x, he might be singing a different tune. It's easy to criticize from afar.

It might suck for some but these local govt's have a responsibility to the people who live in their towns first and foremost. You can complain but the locals here have done a very good job which is why we have one of the lowest rates of virus per thousand around.

I've been saying for a while as long as there isn't a reversal and new cases of the virus start spiking again, look to July 1 as when we'll see the Monmouth beaches back as close to normal as we're going to get.

Why do I get the feeling if Montgomery was going to see an influx that increased the population by 2x or 3x, he might be singing a different tune. It's easy to criticize from afar.

It might suck for some but these local govt's have a responsibility to the people who live in their towns first and foremost. You can complain but the locals here have done a very good job which is why we have one of the lowest rates of virus per thousand around.

I've been saying for a while as long as there isn't a reversal and new cases of the virus start spiking again, look to July 1 as when we'll see the Monmouth beaches back as close to normal as we're going to get.

Hard to target a date at this point as it's difficult to know the impact of States opening up without the lagging indicator data for COVID cases increases/decreases, which for NJ should give us a better indication of path forward in 2-3 weeks.

Hard to target a date at this point as it's difficult to know the impact of States opening up without the lagging indicator data for COVID cases increases/decreases, which for NJ should give us a better indication of path forward in 2-3 weeks.

That's why I said as long as the number of new infections doesn't spike. It will be data driven as you say.

As of the other day, this town has had 30 cases and I understand 1 death. If in 2-3 weeks it's still in the low 30's there's no way they won't pull back on the restrictions.

I understand the area shore communities tried to come up with 1 universal policy but they couldn't agree and couldn't get direction from the state gov't so they did what they felt was best individually.

I took this seriously, have only gone to the supermarket and Target. I haven't seen a single friend or family out of household since March 10th other than helping a buddy move or stopping in at a friend's restaurant for take out. I did my research on it and the chance of outdoor transmission is basically zero. I love the beach and the whole Shore experience (moved to Brick 3 years ago, rented in Squan for 10 years prior with friends and still go to the beach there). I can't imagine summer without the beach.

I just wonder where everyone is going to park, since the pay lots are season passes only for now and the streets in Squan are already full, especially on holiday weekends. Squan doesn't have any private "park on my lawn" type lots like Point does. My buddy went on Saturday and said it was well signed coming into town that the beach is Season badges only. Any word on if/how they are limiting the party house rentals?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I took this seriously, have only gone to the supermarket and Target. I haven't seen a single friend or family out of household since March 10th other than helping a buddy move or stopping in at a friend's restaurant for take out. I did my research on it and the chance of outdoor transmission is basically zero. I love the beach and the whole Shore experience (moved to Brick 3 years ago, rented in Squan for 10 years prior with friends and still go to the beach there). I can't imagine summer without the beach.

I just wonder where everyone is going to park, since the pay lots are season passes only for now and the streets in Squan are already full, especially on holiday weekends. Squan doesn't have any private "park on my lawn" type lots like Point does. My buddy went on Saturday and said it was well signed coming into town that the beach is Season badges only. Any word on if/how they are limiting the party house rentals?

There was a town wide ban on all rentals that will expire Friday so no, anyone who has a summer rental is good to go. Greater enforcement? If you believe what they say, there will be much greater enforcement of ordinances relating to how many people can stay in a rental home and events like large house parties will not be tolerated. Honestly, I don't know how much effort they'll really put into it.

Sorry, I hit enter before I finished.

With a temporary ban on single day parking in town lots and the cut off day for securing a season parking pass already passed there will be issues finding a spot.. On the other hand the corresponding temporary ban on further beach badge sales will mean less people coming to the beach in the 1st place. It needs to be said all this could change in a couple weeks.

The parking should work itself out over time.

If it doesn’t that’s on the individual town and their loss...which it will be if people can’t park and they decide to go and spend $$$ somewhere else.

The parking should work itself out over time.

If it doesn’t that’s on the individual town and their loss...which it will be if people can’t park and they decide to go and spend $$$ somewhere else.

I'm thinking I'll charge a hundie a day. Too much?

I'm thinking I'll charge a hundie a day. Too much?
If you can, go for it. I’d go all stones instead of grass so you can fit more.

Just make sure they leave the keys so you’re not blocked in. And if it’s a really nice ride, so you can do this too...

SpectacularSmugBrahmancow-max-1mb.gif

If you can, go for it. I’d go all stones instead of grass so you can fit more.

Just make sure they leave the keys so you’re not blocked in. And if it’s a really nice ride, so you can do this too...

SpectacularSmugBrahmancow-max-1mb.gif

No one with any sense would leave me keys lol.

How does Belmar get away without having fire escapes for their rentals?In 1985,I stayed on the third floor of Art Thoms Boardinghouse on 16TH and A.

Last edited:
Belmar and Avon were really crowded on Friday. Spring Lake and Sea Girt with the parking restrictions, not so much.

Less on Saturday all around and even less on Sunday since it was cooler.

I was glad to see the beaches open up. It seems like we're headed in the right direction and IMO steps like this need to be taken to see where we're at. I pretty much spent huge chunks of my summers in Ortley from 1990-2012 and while I'm not a big fan of day trips to the beach at all, I love Island Beach State Park as well as Long Branch and Sandy Hook for the occasional day trip...oddly enough, I might be one of the only people my age (40) from Belleville that has never been to Belmar (also never been to Vegas).

I know people are still concerned but IMO we can't be on lockdown forever. We need to be responsible but I think events like how they ran things this weekend are a good step in the right direction.

Joe P.

Sorry, I hit enter before I finished.

With a temporary ban on single day parking in town lots and the cut off day for securing a season parking pass already passed there will be issues finding a spot.. On the other hand the corresponding temporary ban on further beach badge sales will mean less people coming to the beach in the 1st place. It needs to be said all this could change in a couple weeks.

I ordered my pass and they said that it will be available for a drive through pick up- details to come today supposedly- and that as I paid for a seasonal pass I'm guaranteed entrance to the beach.

I plan to head down Friday and stay through Monday. I have heard "enforcement" will be no different than usual but will be interesting to see if house parties take off.

Reactions: Jm0513
Belmar and Avon were really crowded on Friday. Spring Lake and Sea Girt with the parking restrictions, not so much.

Less on Saturday all around and even less on Sunday since it was cooler.

It was packed here Friday, not so much Saturday or Sunday. Since the lots are still off season they were open to everyone or least the Pompano lot was.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I ordered my pass and they said that it will be available for a drive through pick up- details to come today supposedly- and that as I paid for a seasonal pass I'm guaranteed entrance to the beach.

I plan to head down Friday and stay through Monday. I have heard "enforcement" will be no different than usual but will be interesting to see if house parties take off.

The usual is turning a blind eye lol. All I can tell you is that's not what they said in the most recent town council meeting but I wouldn't be shocked if you're right.

Hell, they're probably Rosemary Woodsing the tape of the meeting as we speak.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Its nice to know that opening up the beaches seems to have bridged the political gap.

I guess once playtime on the beach was close to being cancelled for the season everyone becomes a "open up and let people live" advocate?

Its nice to know that opening up the beaches seems to have bridged the political gap.

I guess once playtime on the beach was close to being cancelled for the season everyone becomes a "open up and let people live" advocate?

I may be crazy but I never expected a complete closure the entire summer. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect.

I may be crazy but I never expected a complete closure the entire summer. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect.

I try not to politicize things too much and try to follow the 'reasonable person' standard. I do lean certain ways with politics but cannot stand when people just tow their party line in extremist fashion, acting like they're right about everything while refusing to accept any other perspective as having validity.

Joe P.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT