ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dew points

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
A question for our weather experts: Is the dew point a good guide to how unpleasant the summer weather will feel? I walked for a mile both Monday and Wednesday with dew points in the 50s, and now the dew point is 70. Thanks!

A question for our weather experts: Is the dew point a good guide to how unpleasant the summer weather will feel? I walked for a mile both Monday and Wednesday with dew points in the 50s, and now the dew point is 70. Thanks!

I don't think your walking on Monday and Wednesday had anything to do with the dewpoint raising to 70.

But in answer to your question: Yes. The dewpoint is a pretty good indication of how sticky it feels. If you want a technical explanation of dewpoint, you can Google it. But generally, the lower the dewpoint, the more comfortable it is. 60 to 70 is the dewpoint range in which it goes from comfortable to uncomfortably sticky. (Each person will have a different level at which they feel comfortable or uncomfortable. But the chart below works for most people.)

5553472d28537.image.jpg

Dewpoint is basically the temperature at which water will start condensing out of the air, so the more water in the air, the higher the dewpoint will be. And the more water in the air, the longer it takes for sweat to evaporate off of your skin/clothes.

Reactions: retired711
Walk at 80-90 here on a typical summer day and then walk at 80-90 in Phoenix. That is all you need to figure it out.

Thank you to you both! The dew point is now 70 in Cherry Hill; doesn't seem like a good day for a walk.

Better than it will be tomorrow. Two Saturdays ago when the temperature was 99 the dew point was 75. Now listed in Webster's under "dangerously oppressive".

Temperature , humidity and dew point are closely related. Dew point is not a bad indicator because high humidity at lower temperatures is not as uncomfortable. If dew point is 70 it's either uncomfortably hot or uncomfortably humid.

As a weather dude, dew point is the only readily available measure of moisture that worth looking at...

Remember two weekends ago? The dew point here in southern NY was 81...San Juan PR...76! For a brief while the tropics migrated north...

It does affect the scientific that I sell. Does have an impact with a welder

I don't think your walking on Monday and Wednesday had anything to do with the dewpoint raising to 70.

But in answer to your question: Yes. The dewpoint is a pretty good indication of how sticky it feels. If you want a technical explanation of dewpoint, you can Google it. But generally, the lower the dewpoint, the more comfortable it is. 60 to 70 is the dewpoint range in which it goes from comfortable to uncomfortably sticky. (Each person will have a different level at which they feel comfortable or uncomfortable. But the chart below works for most people.)

5553472d28537.image.jpg
Agree on your assenment for conforment

Basic rule of thumb: the closer the dew point is to the temperature, the more uncomfortable (sticky) it is.

ADVERTISEMENT