ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Did any of you/your children get an R Business Degree in the Last Ten Years

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
In the next month or so, yours truly will be taking my youngest nephew on a tour of the Piscataway/New Brunswick campus. He hasn’t decided on a major yet, but leaning toward Business. If the tour goes the way I expect, like his brother, Livingston will be his favorite and College Ave will be a turnoff. The idea will be to try to find ways to keep him off a bus as much as possible.Just some questions I want answers for ahead of time—
Do Business majors get priority for Livingston dorms?
Are almost all Bus classes on Livingston?
What percentage of non-Bus courses will he end up taking at another campus (English, History, Science, other core courses)?
Did you take/like the core courses available in the video theaters?
Did you like the Livingston dining hall food?
Did you live in the new dorms, old, or both?
Any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
My son graduated form the business school last Dec ( did it in 3 1/2 years) He graduated with a degree in Marketing. Currently works at Universal McCan on the JnJ account. He lived on Livingston Freshmen year College ave soph year. And then rented a house on sicard street last 18 months. All his business classes were on Livingston. Depending on the class timing he either took them on college ave if they were a stand alone class or took them on livi if they matched up with a business class. Beloved the dining hall on livi and ate many meals there. He has celiac disease so eating out in general is hard. He got to know the chef on livi so he relied on him to eat Glutten free He lived in the towers when he lived there.

Reactions: Leonard23
No, major has nothing to do with where you live. A lot of b school prereqs and core classes will be on other campuses. Most of my economics classes were on College Ave. Computer classes were on Busch. Math is on Busch it College Ave. Science would either be in Busch or Cook/Douglas depending on the type of science. Many others were where ever they could find a classroom, usually College Ave. As he progresses through RU, most, if not all business classes are on Livingston, including in the movie theater. There’s only one large lecture hall in the RBS building. The rest are smaller classrooms designated for specific business courses. Lecture hall takes up floors 1 and 2. MBA classrooms are on 3. Core B school undergrad classes and recitations are on floors 4 and 5. Study areas in all floors. The other side of the building is all administrative and faculty offices. Livingston dining hall is the best at RU. The dorms are the old quad. They’re pretty old. In my opinion, he should live in the College Ave dorms his first year with the bus travel to each campus being easier from there. If he’s got to go to Busch or Cook/Douglas from Livingston, it can be a nightmare of a wait for one bus, or an LX bus to College Ave and then another bus to the other campus. And LX buses can be busy. Also, College Ave is ideal for all of the stuff that happens there. Homecoming bed races, speakers in the Student Center, the Yard, involvement fairs that are held either in Voorhees Mall or on College Avenue. If he chooses business and wants to continue to live on campus, that’s when he should shoot for the Livingston campus apartments. Then all of his classes are a short walk away. That all depends on his group’s lottery number though. They might be the nicest on campus apartments.

If they every open things up.....sign up for the RBS open house. It was a fantastic presentation by Dean Yanuzzi and 4 RBS students. It covered lots of RBS info and the student stories about their path/choices were great. My idiot HS son was actually excited for something academic for the first time. RBS is tough to get into, however, not too difficult to transfer within RU. That's the path he took. He is currently a sophomore and seems to enjoy the RBS classes he has started to take. Next year will be the deeper dive into RBS, hopefully in-person.

Have your nephew do that open house, although virtual anything sucks. My neighbors daughter just took her in-person tour at Pitt. She'll be a Pitt student. Holloway got my email last night, although I doubt he'll ever see it. My son hates online classes and says they're a joke. Everyone one of my employees says online is a joke. RU closing every building and eliminating any type of student interaction is a joke. I had dinner in New Brunswick saturday night in a totally full restaurant but my kid can't sit in a class for 50 minutes? My town played a lax game saturday, but RU shut down his club lax team. He can't even have a 10 person eboard meeting with his frat....that's not allowed due to "an over abundance of caution"....BS

Thanks Steve. I sent his Mom the info. about the Open House this Wednesday. I have a very strong feeling that it is going to be Clemson, but I will give it my best shot for RU. As long as it isn’t State Penn !

Majors;

Son took Computer Science at USNA. Became a USN Pilot. Took his Master's at a Big 10 Univ. in Cryptology.

USNavy didn't know what to do with him and so he left.

Major international computer company hired him. Were building him an office at Penn Station for his commute from exit 109. Higher up heard of his resume and hired him in Conn, paid for his family to move. Being promoted ....office 2 miles from his house.

This company is looking nationally for people with those 2 degrees.

ADVERTISEMENT