ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disney World

You seem to be taking this way too personally. Some people can like it or dislike it for their own reasons.

My family enjoyed Disney and we scheduled each day based on the all inclusive dining, and would try restaurants in different parks. I heard they removed this option.

Unfortunately, politically I would not give them a dime right now.

I have been to Hawaii 3 times and it is a wonderful experience. My suggestion is to get the Entertainment Book (Hawaii edition) for dining and shopping discounts.
In other words you’re telling me I’m taking it too personal. I think his obvious take was uncalled for towards those who like WDW. Agree prices are too high but one person‘s likes is their prerogative . The accusation of being too girlie and that most won’t go back is completely uneducated. It is perhaps one of the most multi time vacation destinations ever. This was about the choice made by plenty of posters who go there yearly …sometimes several times per yearI take the entire family. We all have fun especially the grandchildren. Most here understand my take on their politics . This is about bringing happiness and joy to my grand daughter… that is all that matters to us. Hawaii is for us is always great … Having been to all the major islands in the chain multiple times has given me a good perspective of the culture , politics, food choices etc. The sad destruction of Lahaina town was a terrible thing . It will never be able to restablish.We love Maui Kuaui, Big Island and still Oahu. For us the best beaches are on Oahu. Some say Maui . Never have had a bad day in Hawaii.

Not sure when that occurred again as the flight was reinstituted back in August . The Ewr to Hono flights went off yesterday and today . Delayed but that is inaccurate about ditched. . We were there May for 3 weeks last our 18th trip. The summer schedule occurred due to the 767 ‘ s being refurbished in Beijing . That is I believe completely done. The info you provided is wrong.
I wish I was wrong, as I’m going this summer. Last flight is April 14.

• Sad
Reactions: Leonard23
Have a great trip.
I know this is a Disney thread, but wanted to follow up on our Hawaii talk. Got back a few days ago from an 8-night trip to Oahu (no island hopping). It was spectacular. We stayed in Ko Olina at the Four Seasons (right next to the Disney Aulani). We were all over the island, but had plenty of time to relax and enjoy the beaches. Highlights outside of the resort:

Ka'ena Point Beach Park
Waimea Bay (didn't have time to check out the Valley)
Pipeline (watched a few pro surfers in action)
Shark cove and the food trucks
UTVs in Kauloa Valley
Lanikai Beach
Pearl Harbor tour
Private charter and snorkeling
Tantalus Overlook

Did a bunch of other wonderful things and can easily fill-up another week without duplicating activities. We will go back in a few years. Loved the island, it had everything.

Reactions: RUBOB72
No you’re actually in a category most don’t agree with. This isn’t just about boys and their feminine side. For me it is about my granddaughter age 7 who enjoys Disney’s Princesses , the more sensitive side they way it was for many many years. Now you evidently know very little about return trips to WDW-Disneyland. Can ‘t argue with stupid. Yes it’s expensive and overpriced but so is food , taxes, owning a home . Guess you don’t have girls?
I don’t believe he has kids or any other young relatives. It sounds like you have been on several trips with your grandkids which is a great experience, it’s the best.

Last edited:
I know this is a Disney thread, but wanted to follow up on our Hawaii talk. Got back a few days ago from an 8-night trip to Oahu (no island hopping). It was spectacular. We stayed in Ko Olina at the Four Seasons (right next to the Disney Aulani). We were all over the island, but had plenty of time to relax and enjoy the beaches. Highlights outside of the resort:

Ka'ena Point Beach Park
UTVs in Kauloa Valley
Lanikai Beach
Pearl Harbor tour
Tantalus Overlook

Did a bunch of other wonderful things and can easily fill-up another week without duplicating activities. We will go back in a few years. Loved the island, it had everything.
I want to book a trip to Aulani sometime in the next few years. I assume you went with your daughter. Was she a good age? My granddaughter is 5 so I want to go when she is a good age for the trip

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I want to book a trip to Aulani sometime in the next few years. I assume you went with your daughter. Was she a good age? My granddaughter is 5 so I want to go when she is a good age for the trip

We did Aulani. Tremendous resort with young kids. In fact I'd say 7-10 is the sweet spot. Be prepared to pay a small fortune.

We did Aulani. Tremendous resort with young kids. In fact I'd say 7-10 is the sweet spot. Be prepared to pay a small fortune.
I worked over 40 years and started a business when I retired to be able to spend money on vacations. I am as prepared as I can be.

Thank you for supplying that age range. I will shoot for 8 or9.

Are the months of July or August okay to go?

Ka'ena Point Beach Park
UTVs in Kauloa Valley
Lanikai Beach
Pearl Harbor tour
Tantalus Overlook

Hoping to get back in May -June 2025 to Oahu. Contrary to many opinions that Maui is the best of the Islands for some strange reason Oahu gives us still a sense of adventure as well as many outstanding beaches… by far. It is somewhat more dangerous today then when we started going to Oahu back in 2004. You mentioned my wife’s favorite beach Lanikai ( Heavenly Sky) much busier than ever but beautiful water and peaceful tranquility. I want to mention another great beach ( known by the locals) but it has already been overrun the past 20 years. Haleiwa and the Shrimp Trucks world renowned. Up to trip # 18 and each island offers something unique . It is a long trip and that is what people dislike the most. That and the cost . Waiting for the state of Hawaii to institute no short term rentals which will stop many from going for 10-14-21 days. It will be 30 days or more.At now 74 not sure how many more are possible… 😜

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Our daughter is in 6th grade and just turned 12. It was the perfect age for her/us. However, our trip was much more of an "adventure" and active with days trips and experiences throughout the island. If you want to do the Disney Aulani and spend plenty of time at the resort, I agree with Salvi that 7-10 would be fine.....as long as a child is okay with the flight. It was 10.5 hours direct from EWR to HNL and that's no joke.

As I mentioned before, we stayed next to the Disney resort but dined and shopped there a few times. Makahiki is a wonderful restaurant. We had dinner and the character breakfast there. The pool area is amazing for young kids and it shares a lagoon (man-made but still open to the Pacific ocean) with the Four Seasons. The lagoon is great for younger kids and those that want to try paddleboarding or snorkeling.

Excellent shopping complex right across the street includes an ABC grocery market, so everything you need is easy to get. Loved the area and will return in a few years.

One more thing, we are big Disney fans but choose to stay next door. The Aulani is awesome, but as with everything Disney, it's crowded and loud due to the number of younger children. For our trip, we wanted a more relaxed vibe and the Four Seasons was perfect. Regardless, we were impressed with the Aulani. Both resorts are open and welcoming, so you can enjoy shopping and dining at either. The Aulani also has a traditional luau on property a few days a week.

Reactions: tom1944 and RUBOB72

Ka'ena Point Beach Park
UTVs in Kauloa Valley
Lanikai Beach
Pearl Harbor tour
Tantalus Overlook

Remember this old Hawaiian saying” once you come to Hawaii and experience its beauty you will always return.” I can honestly say it is eerily true.

Hoping to get back in May -June 2025 to Oahu. Contrary to many opinions that Maui is the best of the Islands for some strange reason Oahu gives us still a sense of adventure as well as many outstanding beaches… by far. It is somewhat more dangerous today then when we started going to Oahu back in 2004. You mentioned my wife’s favorite beach Lanikai ( Heavenly Sky) much busier than ever but beautiful water and peaceful tranquility. I want to mention another great beach ( known by the locals) but it has already been overrun the past 20 years. Haleiwa and the Shrimp Trucks world renowned. Up to trip # 18 and each island offers something unique . It is a long trip and that is what people dislike the most. That and the cost . Waiting for the state of Hawaii to institute no short term rentals which will stop many from going for 10-14-21 days. It will be 30 days or more.At now 74 not sure how many more are possible… 😜
We got to Lanikai late in the day after the UTV tour thru Kauloa Valley and a stop at the Poi Factory for their famous dessert (which was awesome - kulolo and ice cream). So, most people left or were leaving. Perfect time to be there and relax!

Reactions: RUBOB72
This is my RU gift to you and your family.You may already be aware of them? There really are 2 beaches which for years were used basically by only the locals . One is Bellows Air Force … it is only open to the public from Friday 12:00 noon until 8:00 AM Monday…Family camping is big on Oahu ... Bellows is the extension of Waimanalo Beach 5 miles of soft white powder sand . You can actually walk out most days several hundred yards and only be up to your shoulders. Usually trade winds keep it cooler even on the hottest of days. Water temps range from 72-74 to mid - upper 80’s August and September … It is 20 minutes south of Lanikai…Kailua Beach …Stop in and say hello to Obama on your way to another quiet beach called what else Secret Beach … take Kailua Road from the Market Deli… 1 1/4 miles north … one thing parking lot closes at 5 or 6 pm SHARP…When you go again and you will. If you need any tips on sightseeing on any of the Hawaiian Islands we have a pretty good grasp of what each offers. There are as you say many many adventures outside of Honolulu. I will say this about Honolulu food choices are too many to count. Every ethnic culture is well repped and we have many favorites. From pricey to reasonable.

One thing more… ALWAYS respect the ocean and its changeable moods… I was for years a better than average swimmer. Now much less as age even in water sports declines. Rogue type waves though rare do occur and rip tides are severe at times. That is something with kids to keep in mind…May - June-July -August -September our favorites. Caribbean waters are nice but I’ll still take Hawaii anytime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT