ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disney World

I guess one of my non-financial reasons would be providing my daughter and granddaughter a subsidized vacation every year in a way that is different than telling my daughter I will pay for whatever hotel you book.

Instead it can be we have the points you should use them

My daughter is going in a week or so and staying with some friends that are DVC members. I will see what she thinks when she gets back

I go back and forth on buy or not buy. If it was not for the fact that I am coming into found money from a surprising investment it would be a no thank you. I guess it is like I won cash from a scratch off lottery ticket why can’t I be frivolous with it. I have 65 years of being practical which has resulted in my financial house being in order
That's a good way to look at it. We bought with the same goal to enjoy the time with the kids and when my wife and I are gone, the kids would still own the "property". Couldn't be happier with becoming members. We've created some unforgettable memories at WDW with our family, and even though there have been lots of changes over the years, it is an amazing experience for millions of people every year. It's so much more than Mickey Mouse and princesses. Being able to go year after year allows you to experience the parks and everything else at WDW in a whole different level. The festivals at Epcot, holiday parties at Magic Kindom and behind the scenes tours at Animal Kingdom are just some of the things we've done since becoming DVC members.
One last word of advice, if you do buy in by at the resort you'd want to stay at the most . That way you get the opportunity to book
at 11 months out to secure your reservations. There are lots of vlogs on youtube that give pretty in depth and independent tour of all of the DVC properties. Tim Tracker, The Dis, and Paging Mr Morrow are all pretty good sites to check out.

Reactions: tom1944
That's a good way to look at it. We bought with the same goal to enjoy the time with the kids and when my wife and I are gone, the kids would still own the "property". Couldn't be happier with becoming members. We've created some unforgettable memories at WDW with our family, and even though there have been lots of changes over the years, it is an amazing experience for millions of people every year. It's so much more than Mickey Mouse and princesses. Being able to go year after year allows you to experience the parks and everything else at WDW in a whole different level. The festivals at Epcot, holiday parties at Magic Kindom and behind the scenes tours at Animal Kingdom are just some of the things we've done since becoming DVC members.
One last word of advice, if you do buy in by at the resort you'd want to stay at the most . That way you get the opportunity to book
at 11 months out to secure your reservations. There are lots of vlogs on youtube that give pretty in depth and independent tour of all of the DVC properties. Tim Tracker, The Dis, and Paging Mr Morrow are all pretty good sites to check out.
Watching the videos now

They answer some questions but bring more to mind

How important do you feel the contract expiration date is especially since my plan is for my daughter and granddaughter to ultimately be using it, 2042 is quite a bit difference to 2070

Also one video said to divide the cost of a point by the number of years left and add the maintenance cost to that so you can get an actual comparison of the cost between each resort.

Does that make sense to you?

Last edited:
Watching the videos now

How important do you feel the contract expiration date is especially since my plan is for my daughter and granddaughter to ultimately be using it, 2042 is quite a bit difference to 2070

Also one video said to divide the cost of a point by the number of years left and add the maintenance cost to that so you can get an actual comparison of the cost between each resort.

Did not want to interrupt but as good as it is now DVC appears from some are you really trying to guess what it will be like in even 20 years time when your granddaughter is mid to late 20’s ? It could be great but it also could change and fighting large corporate entities sure isn’t easy. The thing is for the immediate future spend your windfall on Disney Vacation Club should also realize family travels , likes and dislikes change.Once again it’s doing the research and getting all the facts…,ALL THE FACTS. You have many options here. Good Luck.

Did not want to interrupt but as good as it is now DVC appears from some are you really trying to guess what it will be like in even 20 years time when your granddaughter is mid to late 20’s ? It could be great but it also could change and fighting large corporate entities sure isn’t easy. The thing is for the immediate future spend your windfall on Disney Vacation Club should also realize family travels , likes and dislikes change.Once again it’s doing the research and getting all the facts…,ALL THE FACTS. You have many options here. Good Luck.
Thanks

I would lean towards Disney providing a good experience over time

My daughter has gone to Disney much more than my wife and I so I really need to see what her opinion is. If she is comfortable making Disney a frequent vacation it probable makes sense to make the purchase

You also could easily rent out points if down the road the person you intended to get the most use of it, doesn't want to take part.

Reactions: RUBOB72
At least! Unless he is going ultra-cheap. Our weeklong WDW trips cost $13-14K. Room/villa, plane tickets, park tickets, food, extras.
Oof, our trips never cost that much, then again it's just my fiance and I.

Since we moved from NJ to NC, it's much more palatable to make the drive to WDW so we save several hundred dollars not having to buy airfare.

We're going for a week in January, at Gran Destino Tower, and even if we had to buy tickets, it would be less than $2500.

Sure that doesn't include food/merch but that might be an additional $100 per day per person.

The cost of these Disney vacations appears pretty outrageous. Hoping to be one and done with my two kids if I can help it. I don't think either of them are super into Disney stuff and I'd rather not go multiple times thereby creating an emotional attachment. Their wider age gap doesn't help but if I can pull it off with the older one towards the back end at 11-12 yo and the younger one at 5-6 yo, then we'll bite the bullet for a one-time spend in 3 or 4 years from now.

Someone above posted about visiting WDW more than 30x in a 10 year period and I would've thought there was a typo with an extra zero after the 3, lol. Mind blown at that level of frequency. Even if someone lived locally in Orlando and could visit that often with little to no cost associated with travel expenses, that still seems like overkill but to each their own.

Thanks

I would lean towards Disney providing a good experience over time

My daughter has gone to Disney much more than my wife and I so I really need to see what her opinion is. If she is comfortable making Disney a frequent vacation it probable makes sense to make the purchase
If your wife is like mine she’ll want go until 80

Reactions: KnightHound
The cost of these Disney vacations appears pretty outrageous. Hoping to be one and done with my two kids if I can help it. I don't think either of them are super into Disney stuff and I'd rather not go multiple times thereby creating an emotional attachment. Their wider age gap doesn't help but if I can pull it off with the older one towards the back end at 11-12 yo and the younger one at 5-6 yo, then we'll bite the bullet for a one-time spend in 3 or 4 years from now.

Someone above posted about visiting WDW more than 30x in a 10 year period and I would've thought there was a typo with an extra zero after the 3, lol. Mind blown at that level of frequency. Even if someone lived locally in Orlando and could visit that often with little to no cost associated with travel expenses, that still seems like overkill but to each their own.
I know people who go to Disney and might only go to one park in a week. I think that Disney Springs and golf are a new reason for people to go there

Watching the videos now

For us the expiration date didn't come into play. We bought at Copper Creek, which we absolutely love a year or so after it went on sale. It's expiration date is in 2068, so I didn't worry about it. But if it's an important factor for you there are lots of properties that have expiration dates in the 2060's that are available.

The dues and taxes I really didn't worry too much about either. We knew where we wanted to buy, figured out what our budget was and spent accordingly. I did do a ton of research, both from Disney, asked DVC owners that I knew lots of questions and watched a lot of youtube.

Oof, our trips never cost that much, then again it's just my fiance and I.

Since we moved from NJ to NC, it's much more palatable to make the drive to WDW so we save several hundred dollars not having to buy airfare.

We're going for a week in January, at Gran Destino Tower, and even if we had to buy tickets, it would be less than $2500.

Sure that doesn't include food/merch but that might be an additional $100 per day per person.
Just searched GDT and it is min $300 per night in Jan. Theme park tickets- anywhere from $100-138

So, you are at your $2500 before hotel taxes and any food at all. And that is one of the lower rate hotel prices. Many are in the $400- 1000 per night. Myself- while I do not go by price alone- but the hotel is part of the vacation. I would most likely be in the mid range - and especially with kids.

So- someone with 2 kids is going to look at 3k-5k just for the hotel plus tax. $400-500 per day going to resorts. Let's say- in 7 days- 5 resorts so another min of $2000+ Travel- 400x4. 1600 Food- 200-300 per day. 2100 Merc - $500 Tips and extra shit- maybe another 300-500.

Adds up real quick- that is around 10k just there

Just searched GDT and it is min $300 per night in Jan. Theme park tickets- anywhere from $100-138

So, you are at your $2500 before hotel taxes and any food at all. And that is one of the lower rate hotel prices. Many are in the $400- 1000 per night. Myself- while I do not go by price alone- but the hotel is part of the vacation. I would most likely be in the mid range - and especially with kids.

So- someone with 2 kids is going to look at 3k-5k just for the hotel plus tax. $400-500 per day going to resorts. Let's say- in 7 days- 5 resorts so another min of $2000+ Travel- 400x4. 1600 Food- 200-300 per day. 2100 Merc - $500 Tips and extra shit- maybe another 300-500.

GDT has a 25% off promo right now if you are a Disney Visa cardholder.

Like I said, if we had to pay for tickets it would be around $2500, but since we are AP Holders we're only out for the hotel right now.

GDT has a 25% off promo right now if you are a Disney Visa cardholder.

Like I said, if we had to pay for tickets it would be around $2500, but since we are AP Holders we're only out for the hotel right now.
Understood but using the $2500 number doesn't work for a person looking to bring his grand children to WDW for the first time. $10k is going to be closer.

Myself- wife and I actually have a timeshare there...yeah yeah, I know hahaha

But, we have used it about 5 times and I have rented it out about 20 times over the years. It has actually paid itself off...

So, if the wife and I were to go by ourselves- we could do the TS, which has shuttles and only pay for the tickets and most breakfast and dinners would be out of our kitchen. So- would be a very cheap trip.

If I were to bring a grandchild for the first time- I think I would actually spring for the resort so they could get the full experience.

I figured if I took a trip in 2024 it would run close to $25,000

That’s why I started to consider buying the DVC now

So I did a calculation with the data I found on the web for 2022 and it seems that the contracts that end in 2042 are more expensive than the ones that end between 2054 and 2070.

I calculated by dividing the cost of the points by the number of years left in the contract plus the annual dues rate per point

I believe that is how the person on the web page said to calculate the true cost

Boulder Ridge
Riviera
Saratoga

Appear to be the best per point cost

I really will not know for sure until I get the marketing packet and see the current prices and fees

So I did a calculation with the data I found on the web for 2022 and it seems that the contracts that end in 2042 are more expensive than the ones that end between 2054 and 2070.

I calculated by dividing the cost of the points by the number of years left in the contract plus the annual dues rate per point

I believe that is how the person on the web page said to calculate the true cost

Boulder Ridge
Riviera
Saratoga

Appear to be the best per point cost

I really will not know for sure until I get the marketing packet and see the current prices and fees
The Boulder Ridge villas at Wilderness Lodge are old, but will be having a major renovation soon. I bet they will be pretty nice afterwards. Not on the monorail, but easy boat ride to MK.

I know people who go to Disney and might only go to one park in a week. I think that Disney Springs and golf are a new reason for people to go there
talked to my dvc owners.. they are suggesting grand Floridian.. it is most in-demand, has the best restaurants.. easy access to MK and fireworks and electric boat parade and can take boats to wilderness lodge and the campgrounds where the stables are… go pony riding. And 20 years hence, the wedding chapel… lol

talked to my dvc owners.. they are suggesting grand Floridian.. it is most in-demand, has the best restaurants.. easy access to MK and fireworks and electric boat parade and can take boats to wilderness lodge and the campgrounds where the stables are… go pony riding. And 20 years hence, the wedding chapel… lol
All the things I see are positive about the Grand Floridian

Reactions: RUBOB72
Grand Floridian is selling at 207 a point direct through Disney now with the incentives, which is a good price. Don't worry about missing the deadline, they roll out new discounts all the time. Like I said before, we stayed there this August and it is an awesome resort.

Grand Floridian is selling at 207 a point direct through Disney now with the incentives, which is a good price. Don't worry about missing the deadline, they roll out new discounts all the time. Like I said before, we stayed there this August and it is an awesome resort.
They do get the best Christmas decor.. but Wilderness Lodge is very competitive.

You can get resale contracts for cheaper than directly through Disney.

You can get resale contracts for cheaper than directly through Disney.

Sorry if my meter is off...sarcasim?

Depending on how big his party would be, $25K ain't that outrageous. If I took my family of 5, it would probably cost us around $13K. If he's rolling in with his kids and grand kids and trying to get the most out of one vacation to Disney, you can drop some serious coin there.

Reactions: KnightHound
Depending on how big his party would be, $25K ain't that outrageous. If I took my family of 5, it would probably cost us around $13K. If he's rolling in with his kids and grand kids and trying to get the most out of one vacation to Disney, you can drop some serious coin there.
Hurricane Nicole making an unwelcome appearance. Parks closing early today per news reports.

I convinced myself that was the number so anything south of that would make me feel like I got a bargain.
I also wanted everyone to do and spend what they wanted without worrying about a budget

Here’s my past trip in August final price tag. WDW Contemporary Hotel 9 nights on the 12 th floor concierge level. Plus daily park tickets $ 13,500 for ( 4 )adults , ( 1 ) 6 year old. Limo to Newark airport round trip $416 . Orlando transportation to and from Airport to Contemporary Resort $200 . Restaurants and food stops at WDW parks $ 3000 for 8 days. Castle Lunch with Cinderella , Chef Mickey, make up artist to room for Princess Hailey $ 250 which included her tip. Cabana rental for day $318 . Genie plus $750 to secure preferred time and ride 0-15 minute wait or less probably . Did not purchase a Hopper Pass . Airfare $ 2850 economy plus . We had 4 cases of bottled water on top of what was available daily in resort plus additional snacks $ 100 . Also left our guest service room cleaning crew( for week ) $220 for going beyond the brink. Not even going to figure 2 Star War Custom made Light Sabers and all the dolls , some jewelry for grand daughter Diamond stud earrings no not for me .It runs a small fortune. But for some weird reason we had a wonderful time together in 90-100 degree scorching hot humid , thunder storming Florida weather daily. So 22k is a pretty good guess as a final price . So make sure before … what you are in for whether on site, off site , DVC or one of the Resorts it is not a cheap trip.

literally in the car now pulling out of Disney. Rained all damn day. Hurricane is right off the coast. Cost of things there is outrageous. It makes arena prices look reasonable. Money printing facility. Not my biggest cup of tea but the magic kingdom is beautiful for what it is. Universal we did as well. It’s more in your face. Like the rides there better. Harry Potter there is spectacular.

And as you know Universal is not a cheap date . Sorry but I don’t see how average families can still keep paying the cost . I’m retired 8 years … wife retired at 50… our investments and incomes are ok for 2 with no credit card bills, outstanding Mortgage or student loans . It is mind boggling when I read about a lack of personal savings, 401k investments and loan debt of millennials . Top it off with inability to purchase a home even if many claim they don’t want that. Can not see this improving over the next 5-10 years in the short term outlook. I assume credit card bills / debt has begun to rise around the USA.

good points- I was going with that he was along with the convo that would be 2 adults and 2 children.
I mean, I took a first class trip of a lifetime and an amazing shopping spree in Europe for 50k. I've done trips to top Hawaii resorts that ran 10-12k- 25k for Disney...it better be 6-8 people

good points- I was going with that he was along with the convo that would be 2 adults and 2 children.
I mean, I took a first class trip of a lifetime and an amazing shopping spree in Europe for 50k. I've done trips to top Hawaii resorts that ran 10-12k- 25k for Disney...it better be 6-8 people
4 adults 1 child

4 adults 1 child
Ok- so- makes more sense. 2 couples going to an island is going to be 15-20k - add in that at Disney it isn’t all inclusive and you got tickets. Makes sense.
if the wife and I brought our granddaughter to Disney- I would budget 8-10k

Saratoga. I have lots of points right now, my trip was canceled by the hurricane.
So I was looking at this. You get more points for a lower cost and a similar dues payment than other resorts

What you don’t get is the ability to make a reservation at 11 months

So unless you are so tied to one specific resort I am sure there would be a vacancy at most of the others at the 7 month mark

So I was looking at this. You get more points for a lower cost and a similar dues payment than other resorts

What you don’t get is the ability to make a reservation at 11 months

So unless you are so tied to one specific resort I am sure there would be a vacancy at most of the others at the 7 month mark
FYI - this is a good YouTube channel for DVC topics.

So while doing my research one big thing everyone of the current DVC owners mention is the issue with the annual pass not being available

So while doing my research one big thing everyone of the current DVC owners mention is the issue with the annual pass not being
Many are predicting the days of annual passes at Disney are coming to an end. So I think you need to be prepared for that if it comes to fruition.

ADVERTISEMENT