ADVERTISEMENT

OT- DO NOT upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10!

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
I foolishly upgraded my windows 7 machine to windows 10 and it has deleted very important files that I didn't back up. It also has replaced current files with old ones.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
Usually when upgrading all of your former OS files are stored in C:\Windows.old. Try checking in there?

Usually when upgrading all of your former OS files are stored in C:\Windows.old. Try checking in there?
No such file on my system.
I was able to recreate my important files by getting the latest one I had copied to a thumb drive and updating them from memory.
Windows 10 runs a lot slower on my previous windows 7 machine. The windows 10 upgrade for windows 7 is pretty much half assed. My previous windows 8 machine didn't have any problems after updating to windows 10.

I would not go to Win10 until msft stops supporting Win7.

When we did it, we paid the Geeks (Best Buy) to do a total backup first. They could not guarantee that what happened to the OP wouldn't happen to us. About $60 was well worth it.

I still have Windows 7 and plan to keep this version until Microsoft introduces something better. Windows 8 was a failure and Windows 10 is marginally better than 8.

I wouldn't switch to any new operating system until it's been out for a year or two and I'm certain it's a winner, like Windows XP and Windows 7, or a bust, like Windows Vista and Windows 8. Windows 10 created a lot of positive buzz, but it has a lot of privacy issues Microsoft doesn't want you to know about so they can collect data on your computer browsing habits pretty much unfettered. Unless you know all the places to go to disable this capability (and there are a lot of them), you're pretty much "out there". I've seen the upgrade to Windows 10 go smoothly, and I've seen it completely disable a computer, where I've had to do a complete clean install to reload the Windows 7 system to make it functional again. Also, while I liked that the Windows 10 upgrade was free from Microsoft, I hated the aggressive tactics they used to force you to switch, with the constant pop-ups, and by arbitrarily downloading the new O/S, whether you wanted it or not, if you weren't careful.
I'll keep my Windows 7 until I know there is something out there that is markedly better. It still works great for me.

Reactions: PSU_Nut and redking
I tried to get the free upgrade from 7 to 10 and it's stuck on 'Starting to download'. I wanted to get it while its free. I googled the problem and it looks like a lot of people are having the same issue.

I wish I saw this yesterday. I upgraded my laptop last night and now when I turn it on, I hear the Windows tone but then get a blank screen. Any suggestions?

W10 really isn't that bad. I know the telemetry concerned some, but I think it can be turned off easily.

macOS, on the other hand, was left to rot by Apple.

I plan to upgrade this week. It's been out for a long time and they've had time to fix the early release problems.
My wife upgraded months ago on her laptop without thinking and it's running just fine. I needed to upgrade my
backup software to a compatible version which I did 2 months ago. So I'm good to go after I take a full backup.

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
W10 really isn't that bad. I know the telemetry concerned some, but I think it can be turned off easily.

macOS, on the other hand, was left to rot by Apple.

You are spied on by everything you use and have been since the beginning. They just admit it now.

I wish I saw this yesterday. I upgraded my laptop last night and now when I turn it on, I hear the Windows tone but then get a blank screen. Any suggestions?

Restart in SafeMode. Revert/system restore to a date prior to your attempted upgrade.

I have it working okay now. There is an option under update and security that says "Go back to windows 7 this option is only available for a month after you upgrade to windows 10". I think I will keep W10 because I don't trust this Go back to W7 option, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT