ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Documentary on former RU track coach and current legend, Frank Gagliano (Gags)

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
Just got this forwarded to me, for any track and field fans and RU track alums its a must watch, 9 part series on this legendary career that started at Roselle Catholic HS

Coach Frank Gagliano "GAGS" coached Cross Country/Track & Field at all levels (High School, College, and Professional) throughout his 50+ year career. He amassed tremendous success including NCAA Division I National Champions and Olympians. This trailer gives a glimpse into what you will see throughout this Documentary Series about a man who gave everything he had to his athletes and the sport of Cross Country/Track & Field.

Documentary Series Release Dates: February 12th Part 1 - Coaching Beginnings: Roselle Catholic and Manhattan College
Part 2 - Rutgers February 19th
Part 3 - Georgetown (1)
Part 4 - Georgetown (2) February 26th
Part 5 - Reebok Enclave
Part 6 - Nike Farm Team and Oregon Track Club March 5th
Part 7 - New Jersey New York Track Club
Part 8 - 1987 Penn Relays DMR
Part 9 - Coaching Philosophy and Training

The Coaching Legends project is aimed at interviewing and telling the stories of Legendary Cross Country/Track & Field Coaches. The goal for this channel is to put out documentary series like this 3 to 4 times a year to help preserver our sports history with the coaches that helped shaped the sport as we know it today.

Just got this forwarded to me, for any track and field fans and RU track alums its a must watch, 9 part series on this legendary career that started at Roselle Catholic HS

Coach Frank Gagliano "GAGS" coached Cross Country/Track & Field at all levels (High School, College, and Professional) throughout his 50+ year career. He amassed tremendous success including NCAA Division I National Champions and Olympians. This trailer gives a glimpse into what you will see throughout this Documentary Series about a man who gave everything he had to his athletes and the sport of Cross Country/Track & Field.

Documentary Series Release Dates: February 12th Part 1 - Coaching Beginnings: Roselle Catholic and Manhattan College
Part 2 - Rutgers February 19th
Part 3 - Georgetown (1)
Part 4 - Georgetown (2) February 26th
Part 5 - Reebok Enclave
Part 6 - Nike Farm Team and Oregon Track Club March 5th
Part 7 - New Jersey New York Track Club
Part 8 - 1987 Penn Relays DMR
Part 9 - Coaching Philosophy and Training

The Coaching Legends project is aimed at interviewing and telling the stories of Legendary Cross Country/Track & Field Coaches. The goal for this channel is to put out documentary series like this 3 to 4 times a year to help preserver our sports history with the coaches that helped shaped the sport as we know it today.
Gags was fantastic. Among the best ever in track, and among the best Rutgers has ever had in any sport.

Gags was fantastic. Among the best ever in track, and among the best Rutgers has ever had in any sport.

Sadly, its my uncle's fault he left RU. I had just finished my sophomore year and had a great XC and track season. My uncle was the AD at Georgetown at the time and called him up, offered him 2x the pay and free tuition at Georgetown for all his kids and he was gone.

thanks a lot Uncle! I never ran any faster my Jr or Sr years

Sadly, its my uncle's fault he left RU. I had just finished my sophomore year and had a great XC and track season. My uncle was the AD at Georgetown at the time and called him up, offered him 2x the pay and free tuition at Georgetown for all his kids and he was gone.

thanks a lot Uncle! I never ran any faster my Jr or Sr years
Not a fan of your uncle either 😂
But really Gruniger did not help the situation.
I wish your uncle was the Rutgers AD

Last edited:
I knew some track athletes during the time he moved to GTown. Devastating effect.

lived it. Gags got the most out of everyone and anyone who ran for him, turning average HS runners into all east performers and good HS runners into All Americans. Once he got to Georgetown with all of their financial support and support from an AD who was a former track coach he DOMINATED the Big East. Sadly, he was on the verge of doing the same here at RU but we had bare bones financial support.

In his 18 years at Georgetown:
140 All America performers; three Olympians; seven individual national champions; 23 Big East championship teams; eight indoor IC4A team titles; two outdoor IC4A crowns; 58 individual IC4A champions; eight Penn Relay Championship of America titles, including a world-record-breaking distance medley relay team; and 46 school records. Gagliano earned two National Coach of the Year awards (1991 and 1999) and coached Team USA at the 1993 World University Games.

Reactions: BLewis1968
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT