ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dog Food

Our Dorgi gets Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend, 3/4 cup mixed with a tablespoon of Pro Plan wet twice a day. We rotate between the chicken and the beef, but truth be told, she inhales it in about 5 seconds, so we could give here anything. For treats, Mother Hubbard low fat baked treats.

Beth-
Could any dog on the planet be nicer than a chocolate lab
I've got a Shih Tzu that's the nicest dog in the world. Wonderful personality.
And he's the greatest babe magnet too whenever we go for walks.
He eats good too. Royal Canin dry, mixed with his Italian mommy's home-cooked chicken, sweet potatoes or rice and a vegetable.

boiled chicken /hamburger and pork butt
for my two small mutts I just got from a pet rescue organization instead of canned for wet dog food and taste of the wild for dry.

I’m still doing Milk-Bones.
My dog is in great shape, only gets two cups of food per day.
She attacks her food and any treat with extreme vigor, she demolishes her food in seconds.
We just got lucky in that regard with our Great Pyrenees. They're not food driven, we leave bowls of food out and they only eat when they're hungry and don't even finish the bowls. They're both in great shape as Rawley is 33" ht. and 115 lbs., Savannah is 29" ht. and only 85 lbs.

They will only eat Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice. The company once changed the shape and they didn't eat for two days until they got used to it. But that is just the breed as they won't accept treats from strangers and are very wary even if I give them something they don't recognize. Sometimes I'll put it in their mouth and they'll just drop it like I'm trying to poison them.

We feed our lab/golden mix Canidae kibble, mixing in some unsweetened applesauce in the morning and some canned pumpkin for dinner.

German short haired pointer
Purina Pro Plan Sport dog

In 2 seasons she gotten approxamately 24 Chukars and Pheasant! She'll be 2 in July.

Love Golden’s! They grow quickly. Our Scarlett is 9 months and 62 lbs now.
Great avatar picture. Why did you go with the double t at the end? If it's after Scarlett Johansson not the Scarlet Knights than good call. She wins it everyday. Scarlet Knights not so much. [laughing]

Last edited:

In 2 seasons she gotten approxamately 24 Chukars and Pheasant! She'll be 2 in July.[/QUOT

In 2 seasons she gotten approxamately 24 Chukars and Pheasant! She'll be 2 in July.
50+ years ago my father and I shot over a gshp at Amwell Shooting Preserve in Ringoes, NJ. Best field dog ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bagarocks
Reviving this thread because a lot of you said you are giving your dog some of the food this link is warning dog owners not to give their dog.
>Most of the reports were associated with dry dog food formulations, but raw food, semi-moist food and wet foods were included. The FDA has not suggested owners change their pets’ diets.

“We’re not saying don’t use these brands, we’re just telling pet owners to work directly with their veterinarians because we’re still investigating,” Lindsay Haake, a spokesperson for the FDA, said.

While the vast majority of cases have been in dogs, there have also been some in cats.

Veterinary cardiologists told NBC News that they aren’t waiting for the FDA investigation to conclude before advising owners to stop feeding the suspect pet foods.<

FDA names 16 brands of dog food linked to canine heart disease
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...v11eSQncxCRHLCtoVonpdCN1afbUsv1MnJjktJuJuFAEM

Reactions: ron313
Reviving this thread because a lot of you said you are giving your dog some of the food this link is warning dog owners not to give their dog.
>Most of the reports were associated with dry dog food formulations, but raw food, semi-moist food and wet foods were included. The FDA has not suggested owners change their pets’ diets.

“We’re not saying don’t use these brands, we’re just telling pet owners to work directly with their veterinarians because we’re still investigating,” Lindsay Haake, a spokesperson for the FDA, said.

While the vast majority of cases have been in dogs, there have also been some in cats.

Veterinary cardiologists told NBC News that they aren’t waiting for the FDA investigation to conclude before advising owners to stop feeding the suspect pet foods.<

FDA names 16 brands of dog food linked to canine heart disease
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...v11eSQncxCRHLCtoVonpdCN1afbUsv1MnJjktJuJuFAEM
All those brands sell by guilt. Overpay for food that isn't better but marketed as such. And it's killing dogs. This isn't new news. My Vet was against many of these brands from the start.
And never abruptly change your dogs food. The insides can't handle it. Any change takes a week or two by slowing added the % of new food each day.

We feed our recently adopted rescue German Shepherd Purina One Turkey & Venison twice a day.
Dog owners you might want to check out the site below. They do a great job alerting you via email of dog foods/treats being recalled. The two national pet box stores never notified us of prior food recalls on food we had purchased. The service is free.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

We feed our recently adopted rescue German Shepherd Purina One Turkey & Venison twice a day.
Dog owners you might want to check out the site below. They do a great job alerting you via email of dog foods/treats being recalled. The two national pet box stores never notified us of prior food recalls on food we had purchased. The service is free.

I signed up for that site and they do a great job of notifying me when recalls happen.
What I sent >FDA names 16 brands of dog food linked to canine heart disease< is more of an advisory that warns to be careful. Nome of the dog food mentioned has been recalled, just being investigated and advising not to feed them until the FDA deems them safe or forces the companies to recall that dog food because it's unsafe.
At one time grain free was the rage, now vets are advising people not to feed grain free to their dogs.
I think if you care for your pets health notices from dogfoodadviser is a good way to do that and checking out articles that are reporting on problems some brands of dog food .

Wasn't that long contaminates in wet dog food killed a lot of dogs because the manufactures were going the cheap route and getting inferior Chinese made products that was contaminated with melamine . One should try to find the best food for their pets, but sometimes even the top of the line might be questionable like the article I posted implies .
The only thing we can do is try to make sure the food we feed our pets are safe.

Some good advice in article

Until the FDA completes its study and releases its final report…

The Dog Food Advisor believes it makes good sense to apply science and logic to all your feeding decisions.

So, consider these commonsense tips

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-...-link-between-diet-and-heart-disease-in-dogs/

Once attended a St. Pat’s Day party at the Crystal Springs (Hamburg NJ) townhome of my wife’s sister. At one point she picked up the small dog food bowl of their dog Mulligan, the bowl filled with Kibbles, and put it on the kitchen island where all the booze for the party resided. At one point my brother-in-law, a Penn State grad and huge fan, quickly and unknowingly filled his hand with a fistful of Kibbles and commented to no one in particular a few seconds later that he liked the new snack! Lots of laughs all around.
Small justice ... this brother-in-law, when my oldest son was drawing Div-1 football interest, showed up at a family gathering at our place with a life-size Joe Paterno cutout that he stood in my kitchen and encouraged family members to use for photo ops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT