ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dog pain med

Perfect. Just perfect and how we parted with our guy this past March. Not even close to easy but by far and away the only way to do it.
I just wish it could always work out this way. When we lost our Boxer- she was 7 y/o and one day she is playing, running, etc but then started to throw up watery flem so we brought her to the vet. He did all the tests and the next day, he tells us she has cancer and that depending on her strength, we could get chemo for her. By that next day, she had stopped eating and only had a little energy. My wife, crying, was hand feeding her and giving her meds and begging our little girl to eat so she would get strong enough for treatment. The next morning, she had a burst of energy but within an hour, she was laying on our porch and lost all bodily control- we grabbed her and got her into the Vet. We did get everyone there including our German Shepherd but she could no longer even lift her head and there was just no way she was going to make it home. The decision had to be made and my wife never forgave herself or the Vet for "murdering" her. But, it was the right thing and only thing we could have done. It was only 3 days from first sign to when she passed.
Even I admit that I practically collapsed at the time and am even crying right now.
How we love our dogs and how they love us and rely on us so much.

We've got a 14 year-old....picture is my avatar...Gabapentin is what he gets for his arthritis and an anti-inflamatory Galliprant. Both prescription though. Aspercreme is an over-the-counter creme we've tried, but our guy would always lick at it, so we had to stop.
Sadly, we may be dealing with dementia in our guy. We seem to be on the verge of a horrible, heart-breaking decision. We'll see what the vet says on Monday.
Kbee- sorry if I missed the followup...how did your little guy make out?

Always good to start dasaquin early, I have two 16.5 year old corgis that started taking it around 10; they’re still fairly active and spry for 16.5 despite some arthritis signs

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT