ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dogs Food

BigWill

All Conference
Jul 25, 2001
Looking for some suggestions on feeds;

Have 10 year old Choc Lab, Daisy.

Typical Lab in exercise, generally NONE. She loves to sneak into the pool for a daily swim, but on the leash for a walk. After about 1/2 mile she will sit down and not move. YES, you have to carry her home !

Dry food

Years on Purina Turkey/venison, now she may be allergic.

Lamb and oatmeal she gobbled it up when we got the small bag, now with the 90 lb bag she stares at it in her dish and whines like you are poisoning her.

Not worrying about saving $ 5, just want her to eat and Mary Anne to stop fretting.

You didn't mention how old she is.

My 12 year-old GSD has taken to generally refusing the "healthy" dried kibble. She does like the Beneful stuff from Purina, so I've taken to just buying her that because... well, she's an old dog and it makes no sense to try and feed her something she doesn't like, no matter the health benefits.

You should also consider her teeth. Older dogs will have tooth and gum issues which may mean that they have a hard time chewing dried foods. A simple trick is to pour a few tablespoons of plain old beef broth (or chicken broth) over the dried kibble to soften it up and give it a more enhanced smell / taste profile.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Jm0513
Like everything else, the more you spend the higher the quality. Wellness brand is a top brand but is pricey. For more reasonable prices, Purina Pro Plan and Blue Buffalo are good alternatives. Our golden has had nothing but Purina Pro Plan - still loves the food, has had 0 stomach issues, and is always energetic, so it has worked for us this far. When our previous dog got older and had some issues, he was on Royal Canin, which is a high quality, high price food.

Wellness is great, no additives, no grain, only chicken and fish. One of the healthiest, if not the healthiest brand out there.

Trader Joe's frozen Salmon (about4-6oz.)
cook (steam) and mix it with Royal Canine Dry

problems solved forever.........

You need to have the dog checked out for walking issue.

Have you tried a glucosimin supplement? It s really a miracle for older dogs with mobility issues.

If that does not work get to the vet .

We just put down our 14.5 year old Golden. We fed her Costco Premium Dog food really quite good at a great price

Reactions: koleszar
Vet today at 6:10 PM.

She's due for a shot or two from last month's visit.

Call when we get into parking lot. Asst comes out and discusses the case. Takes dog into Vet. Vet comes out and discusses and goes back in and does what we've approved.

All proper distancing, yelling back and forth.

Is this really ALL necessary ?

Reactions: red sail and dvb91
Have you tried mixing in wet food?

I did this for my chocolate lab when he was older. Not because he wouldn't eat (never a problem). Did a revised Keto diet for a while after they found a tumor - no grains,all meat and greens. Then switched over to canned food and dry food mix. He lived an extra two years despite a grim prognosis when they found the tumor - were practically ready to put him down.

We have 3 dogs now and it is very common that they get tired of their food over time. We mix in rice once in while and sometimes put in some broth.

My wife buys wellness brand

Has anyone tried the Natural Raw diet with there dogs, it’s more work but I hear great things about it, at the end of this year I will have either the South African Boerboel or the Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I’m hearing no more stomach problems and stronger bones and longer life’s, I picked up a commercial food processor to prepare the meals. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone tried the Natural Raw diet with there dogs, it’s more work but I hear great things about it, at the end of this year I will have either the South African Boerboel or the Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I’m hearing no more stomach problems and stronger bones and longer life’s, I picked up a commercial food processor to prepare the meals. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Considered it but sounds like a recipe for a long bout of diarrhea. Dog diarrhea is not something I'd initiate on purpose.

I cooked meat and vegetables and it worked out well, though a lot of work and supplies to keep up with.

You need to have the dog checked out for walking issue.

Have you tried a glucosimin supplement? It s really a miracle for older dogs with mobility issues.

If that does not work get to the vet .

We just put down our 14.5 year old Golden. We fed her Costco Premium Dog food really quite good at a great price
Started our Older Great Pyrenees on it over a year ago. Seem to do the trick till this year, he was really hurting and having trouble. Had him checked for hip dysplasia(bye, bye $5k ) and lymes disease, all test and X-rays luckily came back negative. Vet said being a large dog he's just old and creaky now

He just went on Deracoxib (Deramaxx). She said it may take a couple days to work. Yea right, by the next day he was back jumping on the bed and barking his head off.(made me wonder if it was such a wonderful thing after all, LOL) He'll be on the mild pain killer the rest of his life. Only down side every 6 months I now have to take him in for bloodwork to screen for any adverse affects. But vet said that's rare.

Last edited:

Call when we get into parking lot. Asst comes out and discusses the case. Takes dog into Vet. Vet comes out and discusses and goes back in and does what we've approved.

It is for them and their staff...

Reactions: Purple-Ed
If cost is no issue consider transitioning to commercial raw...

https://www.stevesrealfood.com/2018/11/13/the-benefits-of-raw-pet-food/

(We feed Steve's, Small Batch, and others...)

Check out this site, too, if you're not looking at raw but want great detail about just about ANY kibble brand out there... https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Plus check out Pet Fooled on Netflix...

After our Weimaraner had issues as a pup we switched him to raw and all his digestive problems went away...when we rescued our Lab Mix, she was a poop eater...dogs eat poop to get enzymes and things missing in their diet (as gross as that sounds)...when she went to raw, that stopped.

Also, since the food is digestible at almost 100% (or whatever the ratio is) the yard waste is very small...and doesn't stink...seriously.

Most vets don't want you feeding raw because Big Pet Food lobbies the FDA to crush them...there's plenty of direct evidence of that out there so I won't bore you here...but as someone said, you'll notice Fresh Pet is gaining ground because Pet Parents want healthier pets!

My vets lectured me about raw feeding but then compliment me on our dogs' having PERFECT body conditioning scores...

Think about it, look at the ingredients in most kibble...if you can't recognize the ingredients you should question what it is....when a food says anything with a by-product...meat byproduct, whatever, it gives them license to put Diseased, Dead, or Dying animal meat including beaks, feathers, hooves, all the crap your dog shouldn't eat!!! Plus they tend to use a lot of CORN!

When was the last time a dog stalked an ear of corn to eat?

I know a great deal about this since I had a dog with several issues that are GONE.

Feeding 3 dogs and 3 cats raw runs us about $500-$600 per month so it ain't cheap...

Have you tried FreshPet? In the refridgerated section.

This is what we feed our miniature dachshunds and they love it.

Whole Earth Farms (by Merrick) crunchy dog food for breakfast

FreshPet (cooked in Bethlehm PA.) what we call the bologna roll, in the evening.

As an occasional treat my wife will scramble an egg and mix it in with one of these as well as any leftover veggies from the previous night's dinner (after consulting to see if it's safe ofcourse).

These dogs have zero issues eating.

Check out this site, too, if you're not looking at raw but want great detail about just about ANY kibble brand out there... https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

After our Weimaraner had issues as a pup we switched him to raw and all his digestive problems went away...when we rescued our Lab Mix, she was a poop eater...dogs eat poop to get enzymes and things missing in their diet (as gross as that sounds)...when she went to raw, that stopped.

Also, since the food is digestible at almost 100% (or whatever the ratio is) the yard waste is very small...and doesn't stink...seriously.

Most vets don't want you feeding raw because Big Pet Food lobbies the FDA to crush them...there's plenty of direct evidence of that out there so I won't bore you here...but as someone said, you'll notice Fresh Pet is gaining ground because Pet Parents want healthier pets!

My vets lectured me about raw feeding but then compliment me on our dogs' having PERFECT body conditioning scores...

Think about it, look at the ingredients in most kibble...if you can't recognize the ingredients you should question what it is....when a food says anything with a by-product...meat byproduct, whatever, it gives them license to put Diseased, Dead, or Dying animal meat including beaks, feathers, hooves, all the crap your dog shouldn't eat!!! Plus they tend to use a lot of CORN!

I know a great deal about this since I had a dog with several issues that are GONE.

Feeding 3 dogs and 3 cats raw runs us about $500-$600 per month so it ain't cheap...

We feed our two a purchased complete raw diet (Primal). Comes frozen. Might be a bit pricey for a Lab. We have a Cairn terrier and a West Highland terrier. They love it. Need to handle it just as you would any raw meat product. One big positive of a raw diet is less stool (TMI?).

Reactions: RUHouston

Thanks for the info, the good thing is I’ll be outside the US and the meats at least to me taste better, maybe because there less stressed, grass fed & free ranged like there chickens , also the cost is much less. There are so many dogs that die at a young age because of all those dam preservatives and not enough exercise among other things.

Is this really ALL necessary
Sat in a parking spot for 3 hrs in March at the Emergency Animal Hospital waiting for my girl to be examined...
I feed mine Natural Balance Duck(:cry:) and Potato. Every damn.day. She has allergies and this is all she can have.

Sat in a parking spot for 3 hrs in March at the Emergency Animal Hospital waiting for my girl to be examined...

Damn.

My dog just went into heat again because I did not want to deal with that type scenario. Also because I'm pretty sure she would have come tearing out of the vet's office and leaping on the car like a hungry bear cub ...not one for being separated from the pack.

Reactions: Jm0513
I know @RU4Real will laugh at this comment of mine, but you raw food feeders.. do you kiss your dog after? Lmao
Maybe because I'm a veggie I just can't fathom giving my dog raw meat and then letting her near me??
Everyone laugh...

Reactions: RUHouston
I know @RU4Real will laugh at this comment of mine, but you raw food feeders.. do you kiss your dog after? Lmao
Maybe because I'm a veggie I just can't fathom giving my dog raw meat and then letting her near me??
Everyone laugh...

I, um... I don't actually kiss my dog, ever. But hey, you be you, right? :)

BTW, chicken and rice is the easiest thing in the world to make. I'll whip her up a batch every month or so. Toss a pound of boneless thighs and two cups of rice into a pot, add water, cook. Lasts a few days.

Damn.

My dog just went into heat again because I did not want to deal with that type scenario. Also because I'm pretty sure she would have come tearing out of the vet's office and leaping on the car like a hungry bear cub ...not one for being separated from the pack.
The tech came out and asked for dog not knowing she is a raging b*tch and wont go with anyone.
I had to literally push her in the door. (This was pre-mask.) She tried to lunge at the doctor and they couldn't get near her to make an evaluation. She had been sedated to groom the day before and had a reaction to her vaccines. We took her to the hospital because she barely moved, ate(a bit of baby food off a spoon) or drank all day. Dog was fine and back to herself within a couple hours. Was a waste of a trip but only cost 90$.

Reactions: koleszar and fsg2
The tech came out and asked for dog not knowing she is a raging b*tch and wont go with anyone.
I had to literally push her in the door. (This was pre-mask.) She tried to lunge at the doctor and they couldn't get near her to make an evaluation. She had been sedated to groom the day before and had a reaction to her vaccines. We took her to the hospital because she barely moved, ate(a bit of baby food off a spoon) or drank all day. Dog was fine and back to herself within a couple hours. Was a waste of a trip but only cost 90$.

Ha. Mine gets muzzled and often sedated for vet visits that are more than basic checkup. She isn't real fond of vets, even though she's good-natured, generally.

It seems like at least one time in the life of any German Shepherd (this is my second) you are guaranteed to run across at least one vet who says, "Nah, we don't need to do that, she'll be fine." This, in spite of your strenuous insistence that, "Dude, seriously - you're about to get f*cked up."

They learn.

Our older dog, 14+ black lab mix went through a week or so with random throwing up, a couple months back. Both dogs like to eat some grass when we walk, and she still has good endurance, but we wanted to try something new. Had been on the Fromm "Gold" for both dogs (one is much younger).
We spoke to someone at the store, and have switched her to the following mix, about half and half, each time. She absolutely loves it, and hasn't thrown up at all. Could be an allergy to the other one, or just one of those things about getting old, right? Either way, so far so good. Changed to the dry version of the Fromm salmon and rice for the younger one, too.

71NjrE7WOdL._AC_SY879_.jpg

fromm-can-dog-salmon-brown.gif

Last edited:
Weaver Chicken Franks always go over big. Our Old English loved them off the grill. Lived to be 16 so I guess he was happy and we got him as a 2 year old.
Interesting fact. We wanted to change his pedigree paper name and the Kennel Club looked at it like it was sacrilege. Nobody does that !

Everyone laugh...
Um, on the top of the head but never on the lips! LOL

Not going to get into people's preferences for letting their dogs lick them or not but I will say this: once the one dog of ours stopped eating her poo it was a lot less stressful if she did get a quick lick in!

Ha! we just did the same exact thing for our 1.5 yr old golden 2 weeks ago. I took a nap in the car as I waited for her to get all her shots done. We were all wearing masks, I couldnt understand why i couldnt just go in with her. Some of these Covid rules are so strange.

Reactions: Jm0513 and BigWill
I feed mine Natural Balance Duck(:cry:) and Potato. Every damn.day. She has allergies and this is all she can have.
jeez... that sounds like an expensive diet!

Ordered the ANNAMAET.

She is done with her Steroids so is good to go with the NCAA.

Heart worm testing now.

Starting to rewatch our CD's of 'All Creatures Great and Small." tonight.

I, um... I don't actually kiss my dog, ever. But hey, you be you, right? :)

BTW, chicken and rice is the easiest thing in the world to make. I'll whip her up a batch every month or so. Toss a pound of boneless thighs and two cups of rice into a pot, add water, cook. Lasts a few days.

When our pup chews on sticks and gets diahrea ... we give our pup the remaining costco rotisserie chicken and rice but then she won't eat her normal dry puppy food - Hills Science Diet Large Dog for a day or two.

Is a dog not the best possible thing to have in a lockdown situation. No idea what's going on, just happy to be alive.

Every morning, mine comes tearing downstairs and we have to wrestle the minute I get up. If I make the mistake of going for the coffee first, I get the painful reminder of a wolf mitt in the back.

Reactions: koleszar and Jm0513
Rawley our 110lb dog will let you do anything. He's neurotic but kind of frightened so just stands there. Savannah our 90lb dog she'll let you probe and prod but don't dare get by her keister as she'll go nuts. Knocked the Vet right over once.

Now Lincoln our 16lb Sato(Yorkie/Dachshund mix), my God, I thought they were preforming bloody murder on him, the screams were deafening. Now we have our farm vet give them all their shots, but checkups we still have to go into the office.

Last edited:
Considered it but sounds like a recipe for a long bout of diarrhea. Dog diarrhea is not something I'd initiate on purpose.

I cooked meat and vegetables and it worked out well, though a lot of work and supplies to keep up with.
Changing a dogs diet should be done gradually. Mixing in anything new in small doses a little everyday. A simple change of dog food brands is a problem to their digestive system and most likely leadd to diarrhea especially in large dogs.
If your dog does start losing its appetite on something they have been eating forever take them to a Vet as soon as you can. Dogs will eat less and at times stop eating because they don't feel well. Don't be fooled that they might be still energetic and seem happy. There is something wrong with them!

Reactions: fsg2
Changing a dogs diet should be done gradually. Mixing in anything new in small doses a little everyday. A simple change of dog food brands is a problem to their digestive system and most likely leadd to diarrhea especially in large dogs.
If your dog does start losing its appetite on something they have been eating forever take them to a Vet as soon as you can. Dogs will eat less and at times stop eating because they don't feel well. Don't be fooled that they might be still energetic and seem happy. There is something wrong with them!
The best part of raw feeding is that once they’re established on it changing proteins every few months is good for them and they never get upset tummies or worse...

The best part of raw feeding is that once they’re established on it changing proteins every few months is good for them and they never get upset tummies or worse...
Yes but raw feeding a Great Dane can lead you to bankruptcy especially the first two years. At 6 months Scarlet was eating 12 cups a day! That is about a 50lb bag a week. By two she was only 4 1/2 cups a day

Yes but raw feeding a Great Dane can lead you to bankruptcy especially the first two years. At 6 months Scarlet was eating 12 cups a day! That is about a 50lb bag a week. By two she was only 4 1/2 cups a day
I did say it was expensive but the OP also said cost wasn’t an issue. Feeding 2 70lb dogs, a 14lb dog and 3 cats runs me about 500-600 per month...

I did say it was expensive but the OP also said cost wasn’t an issue. Feeding 2 70lb dogs, a 14lb dog and 3 cats runs me about 500-600 per month...
Yes but I was talking about the early years. It's a lot cheaper once fully grown and easier. There is no way to cook for a giant breed in the 6 months to 1 year timeframe. It would be like feeding a family of 10. Plus at that age not recommended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT