ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dogs or Cats

Dogs are better companions. They're also kinda gross. 90% of cats don't give a shit about who you are but you might get lucky - I've had a couple of cats over the years that have been amazingly sweet.

We've had dogs and/or cats pretty much continuously for 30 years. When the current dog and cat are gone, we're done. It would be really great, for once, to be able to answer "Okay, who pissed on the floor?" with "Me."

For the record, I am a dog fan. My dog is a companion; much more than an animal that lives in my house and demands food.

But I know there are some here who are cat fans. Even though multiple studies have shown that cats don't form an emotional attachment to their owners, lots of people still form emotional attachments to their cats. I don't get it.

Even though multiple studies have shown that cats don't form an emotional attachment to their owners, lots of people still form emotional attachments to their cats. I don't get it.

In the winter of 2006 I bought a Bengal. Gorgeous animal. Also the meanest, most obnoxious, foulest dispositioned creature I have ever encountered. This cat hates everything and everybody - except my youngest daughter (now 21).

She never leaves her side. Ever. When the girl is away at school, the cat becomes invisible. We never see it. We can never find it. She eats, she uses the litter box, but other than that she's a complete phantom. When the girl comes home again the cat starts screaming before she's even in the house.

There's a definite attachment, there.

They're both great. I've had some awesome cats over the years. Not much in life better than a good dog though.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Dog person. I don't like animals that can jump up on my counter tops where we prepare food.

For the record, I am a dog fan. My dog is a companion; much more than an animal that lives in my house and demands food.

But I know there are some here who are cat fans. Even though multiple studies have shown that cats don't form an emotional attachment to their owners, lots of people still form emotional attachments to their cats. I don't get it.
----
I have had cats for a long time, till just a few years ago.... some cats
do form an attachment but it is never as obvious as a dog.... my cat
would jump in my lap when sitting or lying down, and they purr
the minute you pick them up.... I had one that would follow us to a
playground two blocks away and would walk back with us... a bit strange for a cat, very normal for a dog.

I would have had a dog along the way but since my wife and I both worked I never thought it fair to the dog to leave them alone for
eight hours..... I think this is part of the reason some dogs get destructive when the owners are out ..

a cat does not seem to care because they sleep so
much and in that regard do not seem as dependent on people.

Dog person. I don't like animals that can jump up on my counter tops where we prepare food.

I've never had that problem. Cats wander around the kitchen counters because people allow them to.

Reactions: czxqa
You would hate my dog then. No need to jump at all. Not only can clear a counter without breaking stride but can also order drinks at the bar using my tab!

1069929_737176666315432_591708560_n.jpg

I was only a dog guy until my wife adopted a cat. SJ is my best friend. More affectionate, playful, self sufficient than any other pet I've ever had. He's truly become a son. My little buddy. I guess I'm a lucky cat owner because this relationship is far and few between.

Neither. After working, and looking after two boys, I could not be entrusted to put the time and energy in to caring for a plant. Plus, have no interest in dealing with more sh!t after a long day at work.

Reactions: LC-88
Dogs. Also, no man should own a cat.

You prefer an emotionally shallow animal? When you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.

Reactions: Steveriknight
Had an Old English for 14 years and he was great, thought he was a lap dog.
We both worked, but he would be right there when we got home. Made a crappy day worthwhile.

Last edited:
You prefer an emotionally shallow animal? When you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.

No, I prefer an animal that can show emotion that doesn't involve purring, meowing, scratching, clawing or rubbing up on me. I prefer an animal that won't climb on things or sneak around. I prefer an animal that primarily relieves itself outside of my house, not inside in a box. I prefer an animal that's known as man's best friend and has the ability to instinctly protect it's owner.

Fufu or rat dogs don't count, they might as well be cats.

Also not sure why you think all dogs are males?

I've posted this before but it always makes me laugh. Dog person by the way.

The Dog’s Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat’s Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

I've had dogs around almost my whole life. By choice prior to age 45. Have them now because of wife and kids. Dont want the responsibility anymore.

I hate cats. No loyalty. No offense to the cat lovers out there. Only use to me would be as mousers if I had a farm.

From a pure sports perspective, I am more likely to root for dogs than cats. I hate most cat teams.

No, I prefer an animal that can show emotion that doesn't involve purring, meowing, scratching, clawing or rubbing up on me. I prefer an animal that won't climb on things or sneak around. I prefer an animal that primarily relieves itself outside of my house, not inside in a box. I prefer an animal that's known as man's best friend and has the ability to instinctly protect it's owner.

Fufu or rat dogs don't count, they might as well be cats.

Also not sure why you think all dogs are males?
hqdefault.jpg

I have a multitude of animals on our small farm. My wife graduate from Rutgers with an animal science degree, she just loves animals. My rank of these animals:

1. Great Pyrenees dogs - great companions and guardian dogs, fabulous with small children
2. Kune Kune pigs - really cool, can pet them and are friendly, run to gate when your coming. Makes it seem like they love you, really they just think you have food.
3. Chickens and Ducks - we have a lot of these, 50 chickens. They provide us with eggs. Run away but keep pastures free of ticks and insects.
4. Horse - we can ride her but don't and she's very friendly
5. Barn Cats - have no mice in hay or food. Good job
6. Baby Doll sheep - sell wool but downgraded because they run away.
7. Indoor Cats - at least once a week I step in vomit or hairball. Melvin gets kudos for catching flies and eating them. The other 2 suck.
8. Pygmy Goats - useless animal, they run away, produce nothing and are evil looking with their rectangle eyes.

Basically none of them listen to me, but that's par for the course as my wife doesn't either.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianoc
I'm a cat guy, it's just way easier.

Dog's you have to walk all the time, clean up their shat, or have people step in that shat, which happens everywhere, deal with their barking, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff.

I made a cat door, so in the summer she is own her own, I have no clue where she takes a dump(winter too for that matter, but I do have to open the door to let her out).

I think both animals have their positives and both have their negatives, it's the dealing with the shat that tips the scales.

Reactions: RUaMoose
My wife had a radio with an alarm feature on the night table on her side of the bed. When she had set its alarm, the radio's "on" lever would flip up in the morning so that the radio would play and wake her up. She would then, of course, get up, etc., including go downstairs and feed our two cats.

One of our two cats (Newton) must have figured that out. During the night, when he was hungry, he would go to her radio, reach up, and flip up its "on" lever, turning on the radio, assuming that he would then be fed.

When our then pre-teen daughter would cry, he would go to her and lick her tears.

Interesting fellow, that Newton. Miss him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickRU92

You clearly have very limited experience with cats. Yes, the average dog may be a bit more depressed and for a longer time than a cat if it's owner abandons it and a new human comes to take care of it. But many cats certainly form emotional attachments and are extremely affectionate. By the same token, many dogs are aloof or even indifferent toward their owners.

Reactions: Underdogs88
I love all animals. Growing up I was always a dog person and just kind of tolerated cats. Figured I'd get a dog or 2 when I grew up.

Fast forward-- after marriage, the wife wanted cats. We were both way too busy work wise to get a dog. I was like "ehh I don't know". Well she knew--she got 2 kittens (from the same litter) and brought them home on Christmas morning 13 years ago.

Well the kittens were awesome of course. I mean if you don't like kittens seriously get yourself checked out psychologically. But still, they were going to grow up to be aloof adult cats who dont give a s**t about me and will just take up space in the house

Couldn't have been more wrong. Cats are the most beautfiul, athletic, agile, fascinating, quirky, intelligent and yes LOVING creatures I have ever had the pleasure of interacting with. I'm sorry I've read all the reports that cats don't form bonds? Absoulte bullshit. As I speak, my oldest guy (we're up to 4 now we have rescues a few over the year) is on my lap literally gazing into my eyes.

They greet me when I come home (even if they've been fed) every day. They roll on the ground (cats showing you their abdomen is a sign of trust and affection). They follow me around constantly. When I sit on the cough inevitably all 4 will congregate around me and my wife.

Here's the thing about cats vs dogs--with a cat you do not get unconditional love. When they are young they are not going to shower you with affection. you have to develop a relationship with them, much like humans. my oldest (the single most affectionate animal I've ever seen) after the 1st year was interactive but kind of aloof. But over time he would constatly seek me and seek affection from me. We have built a very strong bond. You can abuse a dog for years and they'll still love you to death

Dogs are still awesome. I love them. But they require a LOT more work. It like having a mini kid. And they stink. they just do. I love them but they stink and they smell up the house. Its not a bad thing, its just what they do.

My oldest cat sitting on my lap is 13--not one bath in his life. and he smells far better than any human. We keep the litter boxes clean and people that come over can't believe we have 4 cats

Long rant almost over--I will never never never live again without at least 2 cats. I think 4 is too much but like I said the last 2 we got would have been dead if we didn't take them in. it take time and some effort and kindness to develop a relationship with them. But because we all know cats can be aloof--when they DO shower you with attentino and affection you really know its because they care for you and not soley because you are opening the can of food for them

You clearly have very limited experience with cats. Yes, the average dog may be a bit more depressed and for a longer time than a cat if it's owner abandons it and a new human comes to take care of it. But many cats certainly form emotional attachments and are extremely affectionate. By the same token, many dogs are aloof or even indifferent toward their owners.
You had a good post going until the last line. Especially using the word "many".

I've always been a dog person, but I can see the appeal of cats to some. The dog I have currently is more of a loner who will stay away most of the day. Still love her though.

6yWwxLJ.jpg

Awesome post, Patrick! I was the same way as you growing up. Cats may be more of an acquired taste, but it is one that I did acquire over the years. Cats are pretty amazing creatures, which I admittedly had zero appreciation for until I got one.

Cats here...as a gay dude it is weird that I like pussy! [winking]

I love the aloofness of cats...and love in their terms...mine just happens to be exceedingly friendly to all...

Reactions: bac2therac
Both.....although we have 2 dogs and are cat-less at the moment. Last cat we had was very dog-like. He came when called and loved to play.

Have one dog (a white Boxer) and multiple cats. The dog loves his two mommies but hates everyone else but my parents and one female neighbor, hates men in general. When the cats are awake they do not leave me alone and I work from home about 80% of the week so they drive me crazy.
But the dog is way more work, he barks at every delivery person or passer-by and we both way about 90 lbs so walking him is difficult especially in icy weather, plus he refuses to poop in the rain. I can't imagine not having the dog but the cats are so much easier.

I have 2 Calico four year olds from the same litter. Had cats before but never this affectionate. Whenever my wife and kids sit to watch TV they have to be with us. When I get ready for bed they follow us and get ready too. One of them is always by the door when she hears the garage door open when I come home from work. Truly amazes me everyday.

Reactions: PatrickRU92
ADVERTISEMENT