ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dogs or Cats

BTW, what is the best way to discourage a cat from scratching furniture? Scratching posts everywhere? It's very possible we might choose instead to rescue a cat who has been declawed.

The honest to God truth is that of the... 8? 9? cats that i've had in my life, not one of them was a furniture scratcher. Our Bengal does like to claw at the carpet sometimes, but only in one spot upstairs that's not real noticeable. I've only employed scratching posts with great inconsistency.

That said, my advice would be to get a post and a kitten at the same time and introduce the latter to the former, right after you show it the litter box (which should be set out and full when you get it home).

After you've shown it those two things, then show it the food dish.

BTW, what is the best way to discourage a cat from scratching furniture? Scratching posts everywhere? It's very possible we might choose instead to rescue a cat who has been declawed.
Scratching posts definitely deter my cats from tearing up the furniture, and I have at least one in every room. I also hide sprigs of Rosemary in the furniture cuz they seem to hate that.

Both have their fans. Never had a dog but would like to some day. I never had a cat that ignored me. I think it might be how they are raised and/or treated. It's a rare cat that will be friendly to a stranger.
People are gonna start scratching you under your chin before games, just for luck.

If you get a cat, buy this and use it at least at the beginning. Depending how big your place is, you may want more than one diffuser: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I...01111003&sr=8-1&keywords=comfort+zone+feliway
Get a couple good scratching posts and one that they can stand on and scratch as well. If you see them scratching furniture, you can try placing tape with sticky side exposed on the spot they scratch, and it may break the habit as they won't like touching it.

Reactions: retired711
hqdefault.jpg

I bread a dog/cat hybrid and it likes treats but doesn't listen to commands.

Your mom? Do you live with your mom, or does your mom live with you? Or are you still a student or recently out of school? Your posting history here implied you were a middle-aged man.
I live on my own. But my mom is in her 80's so I'm there every day taking care of all household matters. Thanks for asking.

I live on my own. But my mom is in her 80's so I'm there every day taking care of all household matters. Thanks for asking.
Thanks for the response. You're a good son.

Nonetheless, I am disappointed that I can't make "living in your mom's basement" jokes at your expense. So I'll just have to stick with "Joe knew."

Reactions: RU31trap
I've really enjoyed this thread, and I hope it continues. I have never had a pet. But I am newly-married, and my wife has had cats in the past and wants to get a cat. I've been a little bit reluctant because I think of cats as being out only for themselves and having no interest in people except as sources of food and shelter. I'm glad to learn this many of the cat-owners here have found their pet to be genuinely affectionate.

I.
------------------
I can tell you that I had a cat that would follow my children and I
to a playground several blocks away.... I don't think the cat
did that because she expected to get fed along the way..... and she
would make a slightly distressed sound as we went along, which I thought was, why are you going away from the house.

We're a dachshund family, with our current guy, a 4 year old rescue. My wife has severe allergies, so we'll never have cats or most any other breed of dog either.

I'm a cat guy, it's just way easier.

Dog's you have to walk all the time, clean up their shat, or have people step in that shat, which happens everywhere, deal with their barking, and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff.

I made a cat door, so in the summer she is own her own, I have no clue where she takes a dump(winter too for that matter, but I do have to open the door to let her out).

I think both animals have their positives and both have their negatives, it's the dealing with the shat that tips the scales.

Sorry when a dude says "I'm a cat guy" it kinda sounds like he is saying "I like dick." I get liking cats, some can be cool but being a cat guy....

PS - I hate you fukers with outdoor cats ... The "shat" you say you avoid is in your neighbors mulch, I just toss my neighbors cat shat back on their lawn

Sorry when a dude says "I'm a cat guy" it kinda sounds like he is saying "I like dick." I get liking cats, some can be cool but being a cat guy....

PS - I hate you fukers with outdoor cats ... The "shat" you say you avoid is in your neighbors mulch, I just toss my neighbors cat shat back on their lawn
What's wrong with liking dick? I think you need a little more love in your life. You should get a cat.

Reactions: bac2therac
I was never crazy about cats. I wasn't surprised to read (NYC medical examiner book) cats will eat their dead owners (dogs wont). Then I saw how a young teen sister got on with one and saw them different. Neat and tidy, cats are more like girls (not to mention like like being petted and then bite you lol). Latter on we had had a gray cat (often called "blue") and it was a very chilled-out cat. You could start a vacuum next to it and it barely would blink where many cats freak.

I like dogs most but not the bigs ones that slobber and leave big poops. I like mutts. Pure breds can have too many physical and mental problems

http://purrfectcatbreeds.com/cat-breeds-list/grey-cat-breeds/

Pretty sure a dog will eat its owner before it starves to death. Maybe it takes a little longer.

------------------
I can tell you that I had a cat that would follow my children and I
to a playground several blocks away.... I don't think the cat
did that because she expected to get fed along the way..... and she
would make a slightly distressed sound as we went along, which I thought was, why are you going away from the house.

That's not my quote you quoted.

Canines We went to the Somerset Patriots game last night unaware it was yappy night Hundreds of pooches howling and prowling in the stands. Try doing that with cats. . [devil]

Canines We went to the Somerset Patriots game last night unaware it was yappy night Hundreds of pooches howling and prowling in the stands. Try doing that with cats. . [devil]

Veterans Stadium.

The first game I ever worked, there... No sooner had the last fan left the stadium then the field level stands came alive, as though they were liquid fur. Thousands of cats. Thousands.

They lived (it was believed) under the stadium and were rarely seen except on game days, when they would take over the bowl and cleanse it of any and all scraps of food. Presumably they also kept the rat population in check.

The day before The Vet was to be blown up, one of the guys from the Eagles called me to say that the cats had, at some point in the night, all disappeared. Every last one.

Veterans Stadium.

The first game I ever worked, there... No sooner had the last fan left the stadium then the field level stands came alive, as though they were liquid fur. Thousands of cats. Thousands.

They lived (it was believed) under the stadium and were rarely seen except on game days, when they would take over the bowl and cleanse it of any and all scraps of food. Presumably they also kept the rat population in check.

The day before The Vet was to be blown up, one of the guys from the Eagles called me to say that the cats had, at some point in the night, all disappeared. Every last one.

There are stories of rats falling through ceilings during TV interviews back in the old Vet days. The cats must have missed a couple LOL.

I've had some great cats, but even greater dogs. It's like comparing apples to oranges.Put me in the dog column.

Had two GSP and one beautiful Doberman, all three are gone. We still have the kennel in the backyard. The kennel has been commandeered by two huge tabby cats, one orange and the other is gray with black stripes. No exaggeration they must weigh at least 20lbs each. To make matters worse during snow storms my mom takes down a huge portion of tuna fish, sets it by the dog house. Now we find casualties all over our property.

I understand that your mother claims to like both dogs and cats, but overall favors dogs. I think that she is lying, and likes cats better. [roll]

Veterans Stadium.

I was an usher at the Vet for a few years. Each year we had a huge on field party after a Sunday game to thank us. There was a softball game with home plate situated right behind (the real) 2nd base. The rule was that if you hit a HR, you had to retrieve the ball. So after I hit one, I ran up into the stands to get it. There it was, fully in the jaws of the biggest cat I'd ever seen. Imagine a cat with a mouth big enough to completely hold a softball. I loved the Vet. It was a hole, but it was our hole.

Oh, and by the way, male cats can be quite affectionate. I've had a few over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT