ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Don Henley is 73 Today

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Happy Birthday!

ITT- post your favorite pics, songs, moments at concerts, stories, memes, etc. pertaining to Don Henley and the Eagles.

tenor.gif

I always thought that while Henley is the band's leader, Joe Walsh steals every show....
Agreed, very much unlike Henley and Frey, Joe Walsh was certainly the lone free spirit in the band. If you've seen the documentary on them, while they may have been the most creative minds in the band, both Frey and Henley came across as control freaks.

If I had known this was going to be a thing here I would have posted Ringo’s 80th birthday which was recently.

Linda Ronstadt is cuter

Reactions: knightfan7
One of the best songs he has ever written, Dirty Laundry, its so true in today's world:

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry
Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're down
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em when they're up
Kick 'em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond
Who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry
Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry
You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry
We can do "The Innuendo"
We can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that Kraft is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Don Henley's Boys of Summer is a very evocative song for me. It reminds me of an intense summer fling at the Jersey Shore (summer 1984, Memorial Day Weekend - Labor Day Weekend) that ended abruptly, and I wanted it to continue. We both had rental houses that summer - she in Belmar and me in Spring Lake. Had a great time for 12 weeks and then boom, it was over and back to different schools.

That following November, a good friend of mine's mother passed away. She lived down the shore and the funeral took place on a Saturday at St. Catharine's in Spring Lake. I drove up from RU to attend. It was a cold, grey, and windy day. Very somber.

After the funeral I was in a wistful mood. I drove down Ocean Avenue, around Belmar and Spring Lake, past the places where we had partied and hung out, and by the house she had rented with her friends. Nobody was around and everything was cold and empty. It was late afternoon and the sun (what there was of it) was going down. As I'm driving and feeling very morose, the Boys of Summer came on the radio and it really hit me. I think it had just been released and was starting to get airplay. It was like the song was written for me and played for me at that moment. It was exactly how I felt as I drove around. That opening guitar riff, and those lyrics:

Nobody on the road
Nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
The summer's out of reach
Empty lake, empty streets
The sun goes down alone
I'm driving by your house
Though I know you're not home...

Great song. When I hear it to this day the memories come back and I can almost smell that summer.

My Maserati does 185, I lost my license, now I don't drive.

Life's been good to me so far.

Yes, I know this song..I like this version too.
Those lyrics for me personally are some of my favorites .:BrokenHeart.
I'm drivin by your house
Don't know, if you're not home

Done that before.

Reactions: Jm0513
Don Henley's Boys of Summer is a very evocative song for me. It reminds me of an intense summer fling at the Jersey Shore (summer 1984, Memorial Day Weekend - Labor Day Weekend) that ended abruptly, and I wanted it to continue. We both had rental houses that summer - she in Belmar and me in Spring Lake. Had a great time for 12 weeks and then boom, it was over and back to different schools
OH MY GOODNESS I knew I'd eventually find you!
Haha I'm kidding!!!!!!!

Had a similar experience ..not in 1984 though..
WearySophisticatedCicada-small.gif

Go back and forth between Eagles or Beach Boys as the greatest American Band. Rock critics and the press don't give them enough credit. The public knows.

The Last Resort.
"There is no more new frontier. We have got to make it here."
and, of course, "call someplace paradise...kiss it goodbye."
One of my favorite tunes.

Go back and forth between Eagles or Beach Boys as the greatest American Band. Rock critics and the press don't give them enough credit. The public knows.
The Beachboys are the only band I've ever booed at a live concert.
Just an awful group.

Was it the real Beach Boys or Mike Love and 6 unknown guys at the Melody Tent?

Unfortunately not having the amazing Brian Wilson touring with them for years following his mental health issues soured their live appeal to me.

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS I knew I'd eventually find you!
Haha I'm kidding!!!!!!!

Had a similar experience ..not in 1984 though..
WearySophisticatedCicada-small.gif

I knew it was you! Ha Ha. An interesting follow up to my story. She dumped me right before we were both heading back to school. Unbeknownst to me until the day she left, she had a boyfriend who was in Navy or Air Force, maybe ROTC, who was overseas during that summer. I remember trying to contact her that fall and her roommate telling me to stop calling, it's over, stop bothering her, etc. So I moved on.

Fast forward 20 plus years. I'm sitting in my office in Boston maybe 2006 or 2007 and I get a call and it was her. She tracked me down and this came totally out of the blue. Absolutely no contact before that. Turns out she had married the other guy, had moved to Florida, and things weren't going well. They were getting divorced (hard to believe!) and she was heading back North and wanted to meet up in NYC. She said she had made a mistake back in 1984 and asked if I was married and how it was going. She frankly sounded a little off during the call. At that time I was happily married (still am) and had a son, so I said I was doing great, thanks for the call, best wishes.

A week later she called again and made the same pitch to no avail.

I must say I got some satisfaction with those two phone calls, and
realized I may have dodged a bullet. Things have a way of working out.

I'll always have that summer and Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" to bring back the memories.

An uncatalogued 13th song on Actual Miles:

If I had known this was going to be a thing here I would have posted Ringo’s 80th birthday which was recently.

Linda Ronstadt is cuter
Yeah, since there's no football and the CE Board is dead, we're kind of falling back on that.
I gotta go with the Beach Boys as the quintessential American Band, although I love both of them.

I knew it was you! Ha Ha. An interesting follow up to my story. She dumped me right before we were both heading back to school. Unbeknownst to me until the day she left, she had a boyfriend who was in Navy or Air Force, maybe ROTC, who was overseas during that summer. I remember trying to contact her that fall and her roommate telling me to stop calling, it's over, stop bothering her, etc. So I moved on.

Fast forward 20 plus years. I'm sitting in my office in Boston maybe 2006 or 2007 and I get a call and it was her. She tracked me down and this came totally out of the blue. Absolutely no contact before that. Turns out she had married the other guy, had moved to Florida, and things weren't going well. They were getting divorced (hard to believe!) and she was heading back North and wanted to meet up in NYC. She said she had made a mistake back in 1984 and asked if I was married and how it was going. She frankly sounded a little off during the call. At that time I was happily married (still am) and had a son, so I said I was doing great, thanks for the call, best wishes.

A week later she called again and made the same pitch to no avail.

I must say I got some satisfaction with those two phone calls, and
realized I may have dodged a bullet. Things have a way of working out.

I'll always have that summer and Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" to bring back the memories.
Yeah you were lucky. I don't think you'd want a woman who would cheat on her man while he's off serving the country.

ADVERTISEMENT