ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drew Mehringer in running for JMU head coach

It's not a done deal that he will get the HC job. If he does, I suspect he'll struggle for a couple seasons as he learns on the job.

But I still think he's very smart, and by all accounts he is very hard-working, so I think he will ultimately do very well in coaching. I also think that, had he remained here, our offense would be better than it is today. An opinion that will be unpopular with the haters.

It's not a done deal that he will get the HC job. If he does, I suspect he'll struggle for a couple seasons as he learns on the job.

But I still think he's very smart, and by all accounts he is very hard-working, so I think he will ultimately do very well in coaching. I also think that, had he remained here, our offense would be better than it is today. An opinion that will be unpopular with the haters.
Haters of whom?
You?
or Drew? [banana]

Oh, this is not the CE board. Forget it. [roll]

Reactions: mildone
Drews offense with JLew or Chatman would have gotten us a bowl this year

I also think that, had he remained here, our offense would be better than it is today. An opinion that will be unpopular with the haters.
Both of these statements are predicated on whether he would ever have figured out how to communicate what blocking schemes he needed.

Both of these statements are predicated on whether he would ever have figured out how to communicate what blocking schemes he needed.
Given time, he would've figured out whatever he needed to figure out, IMO. Problem is we have enough challenges without piling on the requisite patience to wait while our staff learns on the job.

People often confuse failure with inability. DM has ability. Just needs some time.

He who laughs last, laughs best. He may be crying tears of joy and laughter. He escaped the Ash heap and may be head coach soon. Good for him if it happens.
He took a job and wher it became too tough , took off running into the safe arms of his mentor.

I won't deny Drew might have been shoved out the door by Ash and allowed to call it a resignation, but what accomplishes he made in his time as the RU FB OC doesn't deserve his leaving to be defended.
Applause should be given.
Ash has made a lot of mistakes and hiring Drew as OC was one of the biggest.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He took a job and wher it became too tough , took off running into the safe arms of his mentor.

I won't deny Drew might have been shoved out the door by Ash and allowed to call it a resignation, but what accomplishes he made in his time as the RU FB OC doesn't deserve his leaving to be defended.
Applause should be given.
Ash has made a lot of mistakes and hiring Drew as OC was one of the biggest.
Agreed.
None of us know the real story except for perhaps Drew and Chris.
Maybe it was a shove. Maybe it was mutual. But give Ash credit for letting Drew save face if it was a shove. That is the right thing to do.

Bolting out of here was the wise thing for him to do. I wish him well.

Reactions: tico brown
Agreed.
None of us know the real story except for perhaps Drew and Chris.
Maybe it was a shove. Maybe it was mutual. But give Ash credit for letting Drew save face if it was a shove. That is the right thing to do.

Bolting out of here was the wise thing for him to do. I wish him well.
It was smart for Drew to leave because he was over his head as a OC working under a first thiome HC and though I won't wish him failure I don't care if he succeeds , unless in some way it helps Rutgers.

Drew would have been fine at OC if the HC had an offense background.

Instead, we had the blind leading the blind.

Is it possible this was partly on Blazek?
At the time everyone was Team Blazek - he was "best recruiter on staff" and "potential future HC".

Now everyone wants Blazek fired and considers him a terrible OL coach.

Drew was the best OC that Rutgers ever had. All the pieces would have been in place by now. We would probably be in the Rose Bowl this year.
The only way RU would have gotten to the Rose Bowl with Mehringer is if they purchased tickets to watch the B1G representative play.

So was this playing in the background while he was interviewing?

Given time, he would've figured out whatever he needed to figure out, IMO. Problem is we have enough challenges without piling on the requisite patience to wait while our staff learns on the job.

People often confuse failure with inability. DM has ability. Just needs some time.
The time needed speculation is probably right, but during Drew's time at Rutgers he proved the time isn't now.
Rather than stay on the job for a second year it was time for him to leave and maybe he continued his coaching education under Herman at Texas, but he was terrible under Ash.

I just wonder if being a HC at JMU is a better step up the coaching ladder than taking a OC position at a Mid-major program.
Though succeeding as JMU's HC moved Mike Houston into the ECU HC spot .

But coaching opportunities are arriving every day with new hires, Drew might be in line for an OC position if he doesn't get the JMU HC position
I'd imagine he'd be the favorite because of him being co-OC there before he joined Herman at Houston.

Reactions: mildone
From his Wiki page:
"Harasymiak was born in Ridgewood, New Jersey. He grew up in Waldwick, New Jersey, and was a quarterback for the football team at Waldwick High School.[2] He graduated with a physical education degree from Springfield College, where he played football and served as a team captain."

Mark him down for the RU short list.

That's the first time I've seen Kitchings mentioned. The rumors out of Harrisonburg this week have all been about Coach H, Cignetti, and of course we know they've interviewed Mehringer.

From his Wiki page:
"Harasymiak was born in Ridgewood, New Jersey. He grew up in Waldwick, New Jersey, and was a quarterback for the football team at Waldwick High School.[2] He graduated with a physical education degree from Springfield College, where he played football and served as a team captain."

yes,with the mess RU is in,lack of recruiting,overall talent level,in a division with Michigan and OSU..we should hire a Coach from Maine? Never was even an asst at Group of five or power five..
Alrighty then..
giphy.gif

But as we've seen with 2 other OC's since Drew. The OL has been trash all 3 years....

Maybe Drew wasn't the aloof one, but it's Blazek who can't coach fundamentals and blocking assignments?
This is the crux of the biscuit, as Frank Zappa used to say. The common denominator for the last 3 years of offensive futility with 3 different coordinators and 3 different offensive philosophies has been the inability to block people. That falls on the OL, and by extension, Blazek.

Reactions: BlockR
Mehringer's offense was better than McNulty's. We kill Mehringer but defend McNulty. Gio was actually the best in Mehringer's offense.

Reactions: tico brown
From his Wiki page:

Maine’s head coach Harasymiak has been hired by Minnesota. Robb Smith, canned by Fleck mid season, spent a number of years on the Maine staff, some with Harasymiak, before his stint at Rutgers. Football serendipity for Harasymiak.

Last edited:
Maine’s head coach Harasymiak has been hired by Minnesota. Robb Smith, canned by Fleck mid season, spent a number of years on the Maine staff before his stint at Rutgers. Football serendipity for Harasymiak.
How do you keep track of all of this? Do you know these people? Or are you like @rutgersguy1 , combing the interwebs for information. You guys could form a coach search team.

How do you keep track of all of this? Do you know these people? Or are you like @rutgersguy1 , combing the interwebs for information. You guys could form a coach search team.
It was on footballscoop. I saw it this morning earlier on Feldman’s twitter. I don’t really comb much of anything. There are like 4-5 reporters that tweet out this stuff and footballscoop is a good site too. That’s it. I couldn’t form squat I just come across stuff and post it here....hardly rocket science.

Reactions: MADHAT1
It was on footballscoop. I saw it this morning earlier on Feldman’s twitter. I don’t really comb much of anything. There are like 4-5 reporters that tweet out this stuff and footballscoop is a good site too. That’s it. I couldn’t form squat I just come across stuff and post it here....hardly rocket science.
but appreciated [cheers]

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Mehringer's offense was better than McNulty's. We kill Mehringer but defend McNulty. Gio was actually the best in Mehringer's offense.
In the land of the blind> the one eye man is king :
comes to mind after reading that comparison . [winking]

Reactions: madchuck
OMG.... the excuses are hilarious.

He wasn’t fired. He quit to take a lesser job ‘cause he knew he had failed and would continue to fail.

He’s a failure AND a quitter.

He is not HC material.

I routinely read Football Scoop.
Maybe someone here can help me. Is there a sports genealogy site that traces family sports involvement (sportsancestry.com)? You can never know enough about the Earle Bruce and Manning and Harbaugh and Bonehead Merkle and Scott Skiles families. Maybe one of the recruiting services has one?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT