ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eagles

We'll see if this story has legs, before I read about the players being upset I didn't think he would be in danger, but you can't lose the locker room, its over for every coach that does.

And yes, I now know he's not a good head coach, hence me saying "thought".
Peterson is taking the bullets and protecting Roseman. I think 2021 is the end for both if they fail to make a run in the playoffs.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Pederson isn't losing his job over this. Do people actually think he didn't do this in direct coordination with Roseman and Lurie? The ONLY way he loses his job is if Lurie and Roseman decided before the game that Pederson wouldn't be back in 2021 but told Pederson he'd be back and that it's best to put in the scrubs late in the game and 'if we don't win, that's ok too'. That's an extremely unlikely scenario -- Pederson is back for 2021.

Apparently it's not a non-issue with his players, if his players were fine with it, you might be right, but now news is coming out that his team took major umbrage with his pulling Hurts, so now its an issue.

Players are going to be upset over a million different things. Some of the same players upset Sunday night were the same players who wasn't happy with Wentz being benched. In the past, players got upset that certain players got traded/released/not re-signed. Some players aren't going to be happy with Ertz leaving this season. The organization has had WAY too much attachment to the players on this roster the last few years, which is what put them in the position they're in now. Lurie/Roseman/Pederson are the role of the parents -- they need to do what's best overall, not just what the 'kids' want.

Everyone also talks about how much turnover there is in the NFL year to year (and there will be a ton of turnover in that locker room this offseason anyway). In the heat of the moment, of course they want to win but cooler heads will prevail. And if not...well they weren't going to be with the team in the future anyway.

Reactions: SouthJerseyRU
Peterson is taking the bullets and protecting Roseman. I think 2021 is the end for both if they fail to make a run in the playoffs.

Why would Pederson protect Roseman? Roseman has been a total disaster.

WhiteBus and Terry have it right above, and are paying attention to the full context of what the local Philly media are saying.

For context, the story about players being upset is here, https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/dou...en-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html . It is being picked up and parroted in the national media without any other information. All of the Eagles beat writers feel that the direction came from above and Pederson's answer/non-answer about the tanking to the media is him taking the hit for the team.

No Lurie is Roseman's boss. The Eagles do have the standard hierarchy.

He would never protect Roseman. It's common knowledge that Roseman has the worst draft record in the NFL and DP can easily use that as an excuse for his failure. If you look at the drafts, its been a miracle what DP has been able to do. If he got fired, he would get a new job pretty quick. Roseman signed that terrible Wentz contract when there was no need to do it.

WhiteBus and Terry have it right above, and are paying attention to the full context of what the local Philly media are saying.

For context, the story about players being upset is here, https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/dou...en-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html . It is being picked up and parroted in the national media without any other information. All of the Eagles beat writers feel that the direction came from above and Pederson's answer/non-answer about the tanking to the media is him taking the hit for the team.

Philly media is a bunch of drama queens who rarely know what's really going on. It's like having 50 Politis.

It might have come from above, but it would have to come from Lurie. No way Pederson is listening to Roseman on that alone.

Philly media is a bunch of drama queens who rarely know what's really going on. It's like having 50 Politis.

It might have come from above, but it would have to come from Lurie. No way Pederson is listening to Roseman on that alone.
Dude you can ignore the facts. Or kill Roseman all you want ,as he does suck, but the fact is that was an organization plan. Plain and simple. Common knowledge down here in Philly. There aren't a few media saying this. They all are!
They are going through a rebuild. They may keep Wentz after watching Hurts last 2 games but other big names are gone.

Dude you can ignore the facts. Or kill Roseman all you want ,as he does suck, but the fact is that was an organization plan. Plain and simple. Common knowledge down here in Philly. There aren't a few media saying this. They all are!
They are going through a rebuild. They may keep Wentz after watching Hurts last 2 games but other big names are gone.

I'm not ignoring anything. Just disagreeing with your original comment that Pederson is protecting Roseman.

Agree its a huge rebuild and losing the game was deliberate.

what they should simply do is get rid of automatic home games for division champs. Its fine if your division happened to be shitty that season, you still won it. Welcome to the 6th or 7th seed.

Been too often where the second best record in the conference, often in the entire league, ends up playing against a terrible division champ just because the best team in the league won the division. Winning a division should get you a playoff berth. After that it should be seeded by record.

If that's the case it cheapens the idea of having a division. Interesting question though.

I'm not ignoring anything. Just disagreeing with your original comment that Pederson is protecting Roseman.

Agree its a huge rebuild and losing the game was deliberate.
Where was Roseman Sunday night? Only Pederson was standing in front of the media and answering questions about pulling Hurts. Not once did he bring up Roseman or the Eagles. I think that defines protecting Roseman. Than later yesterday Roseman, for the first time since the draft, had to face the media.

Reactions: scripts
I blame Charlie Finley in 1973.
He started all this front office tells the manager/coach what to do when he made Mike Andrews swear he was injured when he wasn’t.
Before then if you wanted to do that you at least had to own and coach your team simultaneously like George Halas or Al Davis.😀

If that's the case it cheapens the idea of having a division. Interesting question though.
having a terrible division already cheapens it, having division champs get a home game cheapens the playoffs in general since it often prevents the second or third best team in the conference from having a home playoff game that they earned throughout the season. divisions are purely kept around for scheduling purposes and to retain important rivalries anyway, hence why the Cowboys are still in the East.

Where was Roseman Sunday night? Only Pederson was standing in front of the media and answering questions about pulling Hurts. Not once did he bring up Roseman or the Eagles. I think that defines protecting Roseman. Than later yesterday Roseman, for the first time since the draft, had to face the media.

DP is just being professional. It also makes him look good to the fan base and potential future employers to take the heat. It also makes Howie look small. Doug is playing 3D chess.

DP is just being professional. It also makes him look good to the fan base and potential future employers to take the heat. It also makes Howie look small. Doug is playing 3D chess.
Agree. But being professional in front of the media, taking it all on him is protecting Roseman. That is exactly what I'm saying. We both agree Roseman is lost. Pederson isn't all that good without Frank Reich.

Reactions: Terry_2426
Giants aren’t a playoff team. And hopefully this brings about necessary change (Gettleman needs to go). And I didn’t want to win the division at 6-10. But Philly laid down. Pedersen should be embarrassed. If I’m an Eagle player, especially Hurts, I’m pissed. Sudfeld wasn’t even functional.
Phillies laid down, and moved up in the draft we won and went down in the draft, so tell me who is the smarter.

Phillies laid down, and moved up in the draft we won and went down in the draft, so tell me who is the smarter.

You try and win games in the NFL. Period. And didn’t want to lose to (a s#itty) Dallas team an 8th straight time. With NYG history of first round picks over the past 10 years (particularly higher picks) I actually prefer to be lower to be honest. Until Giants get their personnel department straightened out draft order doesn’t concern me, the actual picks do.

Giants had nothing to play for vs Cowboys in Week 17 in 2004 but happy we won as it set the stage for the 2005 season. Giants were locked into the 5-seed in Week 17 of 2007 season but still happy we played that game balls out to win. Set the stage for the improbable super bowl run.

I always thought Pedersen was kind of an unlikable putz anyway. This doesn’t move the needle for me either way.

Reactions: Postman_1
I blame Charlie Finley in 1973.
He started all this front office tells the manager/coach what to do when he made Mike Andrews swear he was injured when he wasn’t.
Before then if you wanted to do that you at least had to own and coach your team simultaneously like George Halas or Al Davis.😀
And then George took it up a notch with the Yankees, a BIG notch! 😃

having a terrible division already cheapens it, having division champs get a home game cheapens the playoffs in general since it often prevents the second or third best team in the conference from having a home playoff game that they earned throughout the season. divisions are purely kept around for scheduling purposes and to retain important rivalries anyway, hence why the Cowboys are still in the East.

Agree.

Loss his job?? He will get a raise. Its apparent the Eagles are starting a rebuild. Wentz, Ertz and Kelce all appear to have played their last game for the Eagles.
Pederson isn't a good HC. Frank Reich was the reason they won the Super Bowl.

Think Ertz has one more good year in him? ,I know a team that could use him if he does.

The craziest thing about the whole game is that the Eagles D, missing 7 or so starters, shut down an NFL offense after giving up over 500 yards in the last 2 games. That's how bad the Skins O is.

Considering the Eagles GM drafts poorly in early rounds, I'd say the Eagles are about to squander even more draft capital than they were originally allocated. Congratulations.

Reactions: hoochie302
I mean is it really smarter when the last pro bowler Howie drafted in the 1st was Carson Wentz and he could've given his young rookie qb a huge win on primetime to knock out a division rival and actually have something to build on moving forward? Nah 3 picks in the draft when Howie can't draft anyway was more important... lol

The craziest thing about the whole game is that the Eagles D, missing 7 or so starters, shut down an NFL offense after giving up over 500 yards in the last 2 games. That's how bad the Skins O is.
that's what Alex Smith does for you. Great story that he came back, but outside of one or two drives a game, he usually is a very ineffective QB due to not being able to get past his second read ever, hence why he is a career 200 ypg and 1 TD per game passer.

The guy literally talked his way out of a job. Met with Lurie multiple times in the past week and couldn't come up with the right answers.
I'm guessing Wentz isn't going anywhere now.

This is why you don't tank. Eagles moved up 3 spots. Giants got 11, Redskins got 19. So Giants benefited the most, moving up 8 spots in the draft, and Pederson lost the locker room and got fired for his troubles. Who knows what other damage was done

Reactions: batts
The GM and the owner were fully on board with tanking. People need to stop with the tanking talk, that's not what cost him his job. The organization wouldn't give the HC any control in his coaching hires or personnel and the bandaid needed to be ripped off for both sides. Can't blame him for being tired of Roseman getting all of the control with disastrous results.

The GM and the owner were fully on board with tanking. People need to stop with the tanking talk, that's not what cost him his job. The organization wouldn't give the HC any control in his coaching hires or personnel and the bandaid needed to be ripped off for both sides. Can't blame him for being tired of Roseman getting all of the control with disastrous results.

Huge mistake by the Eagles. Agree DP asked for control and basically said him or Roseman. He didn't talk his way out of anything, this was deliberate. DP will get hired again. Roseman would never get hired if Eagles let him go. If Roseman is in the same role it's going to be tough to get a good coach.

Reactions: Terry_2426
This is why you don't tank. Eagles moved up 3 spots. Giants got 11, Redskins got 19. So Giants benefited the most, moving up 8 spots in the draft, and Pederson lost the locker room and got fired for his troubles. Who knows what other damage was done
Dallas was the big winner. Could have been 19 with a win vs NYG and Philly. Ended up with the 10th pick.
Him getting fired has nothing to do with tanking. More about him and Wentz hating each other.

So does this mean the new coach has to be open to working with Carson Wentz? Either way it’s been a pretty remarkable fall from grace for the Eagles for the last 3 years

Isn't there a former DC of a national championship team in the market for a job?

Just saw this on TV. Very surprised. Wonder if the Jets will be interested, obviously GM Joe Douglas knows him well.

I think that Pederson is an excellent football mind. As a Jets' fan, though, still remember the last time they hired a recently fired Eagles HC ... his name was Rich Kotite.

Apparently the Eagles players were very angry, two defensive players had to be held back from confronting Pederson after the game.

I think he could lose his job over this, as an GM or owner you have to be very concerned when your head coach loses the locker room like this.

And has a Super Bowl winning coach ever crashed so quickly? When Eagles won it I honestly had Pederson up there with the elite coaches in the league, I really thought he had the "It factor".
Have to toot my own horn here 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT