ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Saw an interesting question in one of yesterday's closed threads.

Electric bikes: yay or nay?

Saw an interesting question in one of yesterday's closed threads.

Electric bikes: yay or nay?
giphy.gif

Did this guy ask it?

6975753c5902bf864be0914a319c4cbe39-23-dos-equis-ad.rsquare.w700.jpg

That question needs qualifiers. They have a use for commuting. Where I draw the line is trail riding or mountain biking- isn't that a form a exercise?

The cost for a Lightning isn't much more than for their gas-powered F-150.

That says a basic Lightning costs just under 40k but the fully equipped runs 90k. I'm not interested in buying a truck, but what does a basic 150 run and what does a fully equipped run, and what are you getting in the respective vehicles?

giphy.gif

Did this guy ask it?

6975753c5902bf864be0914a319c4cbe39-23-dos-equis-ad.rsquare.w700.jpg

That question needs qualifiers. They have a use for commuting. Where I draw the line is trail riding or mountain biking- isn't that a form a exercise?
Ha! Thought it was you but didn't feel like digging up a locked thread to check.

I think another qualifier is pedal-assist, which I believe are the majority, vs full-throttle.

I believe a misconception people have, which I used to share, is that they lessen or eliminate exercise, when they (can) encourage and increase it.

I'm not a huge proponent or owner, but I've demoed a number of e-bikes and used them for things I would have avoided with a bicycle or mtb - like tackling slick, gravel hills first thing in the morning after drinking until 4 am and sleeping in a hammock (i.e. big hangover). Or climbing the Alps (ok, foothills of the Alps : ) with pros 10 years younger immediately after a massive dinner. In both cases, choice wasn't e- vs reg bike but e-bike vs no biking or exercise whatsoever, at all. And e-bike ensured I did not faint or vomit while getting my legs spinning.

In the same way, they get people who don't bike at all out there (which is why every manufacturer has jumped on board) and/or encourage those who do bike to ride farther. So long as we're talking e-assist, you're still exercising, and I have seen studies that suggest e-bikers exercise as much or more than cyclists.

In my heart I'm with you on trail riding, as e-bikes don't mesh well and end up increasing animosity at all bikes. Prefer they were limited to trails that allow dirt bikes or other motorized traffic. But my head says, beyond the economic benefits for resort/park businesses, they'll ultimately get baked into public lands because of their potential for those with health conditions. Seems like the first person with a heart condition, bad knee or whatever to get turned away has a compelling ADA case.

Having grown up through times when mtb was often banned outright and benefitted greatly from trails originally built for motorbikes (e.g. Moab) I feel a bit hypocritical hating too hard on e-mtbs now so I'll reserve my anger until they start taking over my local trails during off-peak hours I ride; )

Have no plans to get one, but they do put a smile on your face, especially at full throttle.

I really think the F150 Lightning is all about appearances for Ford. In the long run the people who buy pickup trucks are not the EV market IMO.

I really think the F150 Lightning is all about appearances for Ford. In the long run the people who buy pickup trucks are not the EV market IMO.
Factually, why not? Better torque production for towing and off-road, potentially cheaper cost/lifetime for fleet buyers, cleaner and quieter for outdoor rec, ability to output power and run tools, electronics, etc, and on and on.

Not saying pickup buyers will be quick to convert, but "in the long run," the pickup market is perfect for EVs.

That says a basic Lightning costs just under 40k but the fully equipped runs 90k. I'm not interested in buying a truck, but what does a basic 150 run and what does a fully equipped run, and what are you getting in the respective vehicles?
The $90K is for a fully loaded Platinum.
For a fully loaded conventional Platinum, it came out to about $74,000. With the Federal and State (not sure if you get one after a certain price point), that puts the F150 Lighting Platinum around $80,000, and there is no sales tax on EVs in NJ (I think), putting it in the same range as a gasoline powered F150 Platinum.

Watch this video from Sandy Munro and then tell me you think the Lightning won't be popular with existing pickup truck owners. Ford get a lot right on this, especially the generator capabilities.

Factually, why not? Better torque production for towing and off-road, potentially cheaper cost/lifetime for fleet buyers, cleaner and quieter for outdoor rec, ability to output power and run tools, electronics, etc, and on and on.

Not saying pickup buyers will be quick to convert, but "in the long run," the pickup market is perfect for EVs.
Just doesn’t work in a country song.

Reactions: fsg2
If the price is the same as a regular F-150 or even less with incentives, they will sell a boatload. People in the Northeast don’t realize how many miles folks in the rest of the country drive for everything—church, food, school, department stores, etc. My oldest brother in law was born in 1941 in a very rural area of Missouri. There were 17 boys in his high school class. He told me people would go forever wearing the wrong glasses because the nearest place to get glasses was over two hours away. For people who spend A LOT of money on gas, an electric pick up will be welcome with open arms.

Pils86,I would be somebody more in the $20,000 Ford Maverick hybrid market if I was buying a new vehicle , but $12,500 in New Jersey and federal incentives is great. An electric F-150 for $27,500 is fantastic !

Reactions: Pils86
Paying 70k let alone 90k for an F150 seems insane to me. I understand the allure of a pickup... but for that kinda money I expect real luxury fit and finishes... and I haven't seen any Ford that classifies as luxury.

36, try doing this with a Rolls Royce, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, Tesla, etc. lol. I can’t tell you how many times I run into situations where I need to do this !

How many miles on a charge when you’re towing a fifth wheel?

How many charging stations are able to accommodate a truck towing a fifth wheel? Every one I’ve ever seen is just a parking space for a regular car.

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
EV pick-ups will become the ultimate tailgate vehicle. Front trunk (or frunk) is a giant cooler. Lightning, Cybertruck, and Rivian will come with multiple 110V & 240V outlets. No need for a generator. Theoretically, a band could plug into the truck, and rock out.

36, try doing this with a Rolls Royce, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, Tesla, etc. lol. I can’t tell you how many times I run into situations where I need to do this !
I've never towed anything, so it's not something I've had to think about. And those cars aren't pickup trucks. If I needed the utility of a pickup, I'm not buying the top of the line model.

How many miles on a charge when you’re towing a fifth wheel?

How many charging stations are able to accommodate a truck towing a fifth wheel? Every one I’ve ever seen is just a parking space for a regular car.
Rivian, which will be the first to market if it ever stops delaying, drops mileage in half while towing the max of 11K pounds. So between 125 and 200 miles, depending on spec. Believe that when you see it, but that's what it says.

On a side note, several RV and trailer chassis companies around the world, including the world's largest, are working on self-powered electric trailers that could cut the effective tow load down to nothing to boost tow vehicle range. Interesting idea that's started real world testing.

I've never towed anything, so it's not something I've had to think about. And those cars aren't pickup trucks. If I needed the utility of a pickup, I'm not buying the top of the line model.
It's a pickup driver's country, and those drivers come in all demographics.

I think this was covered, but EVs have great low end torque which I would think would make for great tow vehicles. So I'd think EV pickups are likely to catch on pretty quick, especially for boaters. At least once batteries become more compact and hold their charge longer.

Edit: Having now read farther into the thread, this was indeed covered. But I'll leave my post as a seconding of the thought.

Electric sailing yachts are quickly becoming a thing. It's a perfect platform because when you're crossing an ocean you don't really need an engine. You need power to run electronics and appliances but diesel power for that purpose has long been replaced on ocean-going sailboats by solar panels, wind generators and towed water-powered turbines. They will charge the house batteries sufficiently during the day so as to provide ample power. The next logical step has been to pull out the diesel motor entirely and replace it with an electric motor for when propulsion is required (anchoring, motoring through calms).

So you took the time to reply and find a dumb meme but not respond to my question? It's no wonder literally the entire board thinks you're an absolutely terrible moderator.
Yeah, we know you don't like me and take every chance tear me down, but in this case the thread was locked by Richie. And if anyone had a question about it they should contact him. RobertG was the one who brought attention to that thread by starting another thread bragging about its longevity. Not a good way to stay under the radar.

Yeah, we know you don't like me and take every chance tear me down, but in this case the thread was locked by Richie. And if anyone had a question about it they should contact him. RobertG was the one who brought attention to that thread by starting another thread bragging about its longevity. Not a good way to stay under the radar.
Although slightly contentious at times, as with many threads on football can be as well, a lot of useful info was being provided to the RU online community in that thread. Not sure why it needed to fly under the radar.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter. It‘s Ritchie’s forum and he can (and should) do whatever he wants with it.

Although slightly contentious at times, as with many threads on football can be as well, a lot of useful info was being provided to the RU online community in that thread. Not sure why it needed to fly under the radar.
It was going along just fine, until this other thread brought attention to it. Not sure why that needed to be done, as we had not got any reports on the ongoing thread of any problems.

OT: I just want to say I'm sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT