ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Geez, the anti-EV crowd here are up in a tizzy yet again over something a bad faith poster is wrong. The F150 Lightning is purposely designed to act as a generator - power goes both ways. He knows this; the other anti-EVers know this, but yet y'all persist is spouting off in this thread.

Ford Intelligent Backup Power, combined with Home Integration System, allows your F-150 Lightning to automatically kick in like a generator to power your home if the grid goes down. When power is eventually restored, the system automatically reverts back to utility power. Feb 2, 2022

Geez, the anti-EV crowd here are up in a tizzy yet again over something a bad faith poster is wrong. The F150 Lightning is purposely designed to act as a generator - power goes both ways. He knows this; the other anti-EVers know this, but yet y'all persist is spouting off in this thread.

Ford Intelligent Backup Power, combined with Home Integration System, allows your F-150 Lightning to automatically kick in like a generator to power your home if the grid goes down. When power is eventually restored, the system automatically reverts back to utility power. Feb 2, 2022
You're silly AND WRONG!

Or, you know, one can just use a whole home natural gas generator that never run out of a charge while powering everything in the house for months, if necessary.

Ain’t nobody doing that with their pickup truck.

Reactions: goru1869
Or, you know, one can just use a whole home natural gas generator that never run out of a charge while powering everything in the house for months, if necessary.

When was the last time you lost power for a month?

Just don't believe it. In the long run don't care one way or the other. I will not be buying one. Ford Ranger is my next truck. Plus, I like busting balls.
That's fine if you don't believe it, but I think Ford demonstrated it worked. I think the new Broncos look like those cheap Jeeps. The Al Cowlings version was the best of the Broncos

Last edited:
When was the last time you lost power for a month?
The last time I lost power at all was after a hurricane or tropical storm or whatever it was. Wasn’t a month, but was over a week.

Ironically, I used my gas guzzling Suburban to fuel my generator at the time. 42 gallon tank which I had filled up just in case, owing to #s dire warnings about the storm.

Just siphoned gas out of the SUV when the tank in the generator ran dry. Even ran a line out to my neighbor’s house.

Was sweet.

Sure, if one wants to spend a separate four to five figures for what amounts to superfluous redundancy, in addition to buying a car 😜.

Having that capability baked into your truck is a nice way not to do that, though. Truck guys like goru should love it, too ... one more job checked for the Swiss Army knife of vehicles.

Reactions: Vlife
You are confusing the Bronco Sport with the Bronco.
I'm not confusing anything. The low end Bronco looks like a cheap POS Jeep Compass (actually, that is where I was mistaken--it's the Renegade (but the earlier Compass models sucked too):

Bronco base model

d2ea5bbd71d8f82fe5bcebaec109119d.jpg

Jeep Renegade

Black-Clearcoat-.jpeg

2007 Jeep Compass

404a4923df3e74bc30a68e3ec937615b829d76c2.png

Bronco Sport base model

5e6f4a51-53d5-4a2b-afed-df2228bdec63.png

Actually, the Sport base model at least looks a bit better than the Bronco base model.

Back to EVs, now?

I'm not confusing anything. The low end Bronco looks like a cheap POS Jeep Compass (actually, that is where I was mistaken--it's the Renegade (but the earlier Compass models sucked too):

Bronco base model

Jeep Renegade

Black-Clearcoat-.jpeg

2007 Jeep Compass

Bronco Sport base model

Actually, the Sport base model at least looks a bit better than the Bronco base model.

Back to EVs, now?
All the jeeps you mentioned are small or compact SUVs. Bronco is actually a bigger car than the Wrangler. Just apples bananas oranges. I’ll bring it back to EV. Ford has teased a EV version of the Bronco.

All the jeeps you mentioned are small or compact SUVs. Bronco is actually a bigger car than the Wrangler. Just apples bananas oranges. I’ll bring it back to EV. Ford has teased a EV version of the Bronco.
They may have done that with the Ranger and the Maverick too. My gas mpg on the Ecoboost Maverick is quite disappointing. At this point, I wish I got the hybrid. Not sure if my F150 Lightning will make it to me by the end of 2022. I see Ford started shipping the first batch of Lightnings this week, but they are behind schedule.

Sure, if one wants to spend a separate four to five figures for what amounts to superfluous redundancy, in addition to buying a car 😜.

Having that capability baked into your truck is a nice way not to do that, though. Truck guys like goru should love it, too ... one more job checked for the Swiss Army knife of vehicles.
Ya you could use the F-150 to power a remote job site. Granted it can't be too remote, as you still need enough power to get to and fro, but there are certainly use cases like that.

Reactions: fsg2

Bronco base model

Jeep Renegade

Black-Clearcoat-.jpeg

2007 Jeep Compass

Bronco Sport base model

Back to EVs, now?
I'm not a big fan of the base model sport, but it is WAY better then that Compass.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Well, I think the question of "range", as in how long the F150 Lightning could actually power the house, is important here. For sure it would be nice as a quick fix to a brief outage. But I don't think it replaces the utility of a natural gas powered whole house generator.

Perhaps my neighbors wouldn't mind me installing a wind turbine instead. 😀

Bronco base model

Jeep Renegade

Black-Clearcoat-.jpeg

2007 Jeep Compass

Bronco Sport base model

Back to EVs, now?
I've been seeing a lot of Bronco's on the road and have thought they looked pretty cool. But I have no idea what exact Bronco model they've been. However I've included them in my ever-expanding list of potential new SUV purchases for when the market settles down a bit.

Okay, now back to EVs. 🙂

Ya you could use the F-150 to power a remote job site. Granted it can't be too remote, as you still need enough power to get to and fro, but there are certainly use cases like that.
Exactly. There's no comparison to plug and play vs the hassle, noise, and toxic fumes of a portable generator. And the Lightning has a massive battery pack. Running power tools all day would have a negligible effect.

They may have done that with the Ranger and the Maverick too. My gas mpg on the Ecoboost Maverick is quite disappointing. At this point, I wish I got the hybrid. Not sure if my F150 Lightning will make it to me by the end of 2022. I see Ford started shipping the first batch of Lightnings this week, but they are behind schedule.
@Knight Shift, I have a great deal for you. When my hybrid comes in in August, you give me your Eco , your gas card, and a check for, say, $42,000 for my hybrid XL. Did I mention it has a drop in bedliner. Deal ?

Well, I think the question of "range", as in how long the F150 Lightning could actually power the house, is important here. For sure it would be nice as a quick fix to a brief outage. But I don't think it replaces the utility of a natural gas powered whole house generator.

Perhaps my neighbors wouldn't mind me installing a wind turbine instead. 😀

Three days based on average energy usage, up to 10 when paired with solar and/or power rationing. Rationing seems like sop in a long outage.

Average amount of time any given place is in an outage per year is a couple hours.

Three days based on average energy usage, up to 10 when paired with solar and/or power rationing. Rationing seems like sop in a long outage.

Average amount of time any given place is in an outage per year is a couple hours.
A LOT of tree-huggin going on there, huh?

A LOT of tree-huggin going on there, huh?

Not really. I won't be getting one yet (no 6.5 foot bed), but I appreciate evolving tech.

Will be great for camping. Run a fridge, blender, stereo, lighting, tools, charge gadgets, etc. And once a combo of range and solar panel efficiency improve enough, you'll be able to power off-grid indefinitely - get way the f out there.

Not really. I won't be getting one yet (no 6.5 foot bed), but I appreciate evolving tech.

Will be great for camping. Run a fridge, blender, stereo, lighting, tools, charge gadgets, etc. And once a combo of range and solar panel efficiency improve enough, you'll be able to power off-grid indefinitely - get way the f out there.
Crap, you did not take the bait. I guess my fishing skills are heading down hill. BUT , I do like the camping part of your response.

Reactions: fsg2

I was going to mention camping.

Another thought is an electric RV, or a tow behind with a large battery.

Weight issues to consider, but maybe fuel cell?

I've been seeing a lot of Bronco's on the road and have thought they looked pretty cool. But I have no idea what exact Bronco model they've been. However I've included them in my ever-expanding list of potential new SUV purchases for when the market settles down a bit.

Okay, now back to EVs. 🙂

The path back, coincidently in the headlines today:

This company is a running joke since they've designed like 10 different EVs over the past few years but show no indication they plan to actually produce anything.

With just the computer I'm using to post this, I'm probably consuming at least 3 times the average household energy use. It has 26 case fans and is water cooled, which keeps the CPU/GPU cool enough. But I still have to keep the case open with a fan next to blow additional cool air into the case, mostly to cool down the SSDs, but also to cool the fan wiring hubs which get pretty hot.

So I figure I'd get a day out of it. Which ain't bad, all things considered.

Screw rationing. I want a personal nuclear powered backup generator. 😃

Reactions: goru1869 and fsg2
The path back, coincidently in the headlines today:

This company is a running joke since they've designed like 10 different EVs over the past few years but show no indication they plan to actually produce anything.
Well this one will probably come to fruition. It will be called the E-Bronco or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT