ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eli Carter on ESPN2 with the Cavs

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
Currently watching my Brooklyn Nets in the Summer League, wasn't really paying attention but we were up double-digits in the 3rd quarter. All of a sudden I notice some guy "Carter" scoring at will and bringing Cleveland back, and of course it was none other than our very own Eli Carter. I think he had like 11 in a few minutes; he wasn't getting much action which is why I hadn't noticed him but all of a sudden he just went off. Now the Cavs are down 2 headed to the 4th.

Some people are just born with the ability to score the basketball and he's one of them. His overall game won't cut it in the NBA, but he'll make some good money somewhere, I'd bet.

Last edited:
Good luck to Eli.
His leaving RU and going to Florida really didn't work out too well for him, but his time at BC worked out better for him and probably helped him earn this shot.

Eli only played 11 minutes and scored either 10 or 11 points. He hit 4-5 on field goals and 2 of them were on threes. Isaiah Whitehead scored only 5 points in 29 minutes on 2-12 on field goals. Eli never did as well at Florida or at Boston College after he left RU. The shooting from the field are not even close. He was never the same after he broke his leg at DePaul. I will never forget our game vs. Florida when he led us to a huge win over the Gators. It was probably his best game at RU.

Eli only played 11 minutes and scored either 10 or 11 points. He hit 4-5 on field goals and 2 of them were on threes. Isaiah Whitehead scored only 5 points in 29 minutes on 2-12 on field goals. Eli never did as well at Florida or at Boston College after he left RU. The shooting from the field are not even close. He was never the same after he broke his leg at DePaul. I will never forget our game vs. Florida when he led us to a huge win over the Gators. It was probably his best game at RU.
According to this link he averaged 16 a game at BC.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/103/boston-college-eagles

Here's his stats from all three schools
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/eli-carter-1.html

It took Eli a long time to fully recover from the fractured fibula he suffered in the Depaul game. That injury really set him back. He had a terrific Sophomore season at Rutgers. Terrific. That offensive foul call @ND still makes me mad.

I enjoyed Eli's play and wish him the best.

Reactions: RUJMM78
I know that he averaged 16.0 ppg for BC but he was much better at RU. He averaged 13.8 and 14.9 ppg at RU but his shooting % at RU was 40.9 and 38.4 at RU on fg's and 35.3 & 32.0 on 3's. At BC he only shot 37.1 on fg's and a very low 27.9 on 3's. He was only a frosh and soph at RU and was in his 5th year at BC. He took many more shots at BC than he did at RU.

It took Eli a long time to fully recover from the fractured fibula he suffered in the Depaul game. That injury really set him back. He had a terrific Sophomore season at Rutgers. Terrific. That offensive foul call @ND still makes me mad.

Then he almost fractured one of his feet at Florida. They thought it was a Lisfranc fracture but it turned out to be a really severe sprain. He may have also had a hamstring problem. I can't remember, but he always seemed to be hurt.

Currently watching my Brooklyn Nets in the Summer League, wasn't really paying attention but we were up double-digits in the 3rd quarter. All of a sudden I notice some guy "Carter" scoring at will and bringing Cleveland back, and of course it was none other than our very own Eli Carter. I think he had like 11 in a few minutes; he wasn't getting much action which is why I hadn't noticed him but all of a sudden he just went off. Now the Cavs are down 2 headed to the 4th.

Some people are just born with the ability to score the basketball and he's one of them. His overall game won't cut it in the NBA, but he'll make some good money somewhere, I'd bet.

Not too mention he is best friends with Kyrie Irving.Carter.

What do you think about Whitehead so far?I think another year would have benefited him. I do not blame him and I hope he does extremely well, but just saying.

He was pg at hall, the center of attention. Now he is off the ball and looks a little lost when it comes to rotating for space maintenance.

What do you think about Whitehead so far?I think another year would have benefited him. I do not blame him and I hope he does extremely well, but just saying.

He was pg at hall, the center of attention. Now he is off the ball and looks a little lost when it comes to rotating for space maintenance.

My buddy and I email each other a list before the NBA draft on prospects we think will "bust" and those we think will "outperform". Whitehead was #1 on my "outperform" list. That kid can play imo.

Here's my list if interested:

Busts:

Simmons
Malachi Richardson
Henry Ellenson
Skai Labissiere

Winners:

Hield
Dunn
Bembry
Whitehead
AJ Hammonds

My buddy and I email each other a list before the NBA draft on prospects we think will "bust" and those we think will "outperform". Whitehead was #1 on my "outperform" list. That kid can play imo.

Here's my list if interested:

Busts:

Simmons
Malachi Richardson
Henry Ellenson
Skai Labissiere

Winners:

Hield
Dunn
Bembry
Whitehead
AJ Hammonds

I know he can play. I saw him do it last year. But he is in a different position now. To be honest, Whitehead does not come off as a locker room friendly guy. His nature is to attack the rim, etc. He is not a player Knicks have on their squad. To be fair, many locker room friendly guys are veterans.

What do you think about his play thus far? I thought he would be doing better. I am sure he will find his way.

The potential slaps you right in the face when you watch Whitehead. He looks like a prototypical NBA guard - 6'5 and very strong, great handles and a smooth shooting stroke. He's flashed in the summer league but hasn't quite put it together. I agree he could have benefitted from another year but it's not like he's not one of those 19/20-year old babies coming into the league.

The potential slaps you right in the face when you watch Whitehead. He looks like a prototypical NBA guard - 6'5 and very strong, great handles and a smooth shooting stroke. He's flashed in the summer league but hasn't quite put it together. I agree he could have benefitted from another year but it's not like he's not one of those 19/20-year old babies coming into the league.

For sure. I hope he has a great career in the league.

What in the world makes you think Simmons will be a bust? Because he's not LeBron as a #1 pick?

The guy's going to be averaging 13, 8, and 7 as a rookie, minimum. As a 6'10 PG. He has a way to go with getting comfortable shooting, but everything else is there.

Reactions: RUsojo
What in the world makes you think Simmons will be a bust? Because he's not LeBron as a #1 pick?

The guy's going to be averaging 13, 8, and 7 as a rookie, minimum. As a 6'10 PG. He has a way to go with getting comfortable shooting, but everything else is there.

Cant shoot. Awful teammate. Are my reasons.

I certainly could be wrong. I will note the entire LSU team voted not to play in the NIT because they couldnt stand the guy and didn't want to take the floor again with him. As I wrote I certainly could be wrong, but I am not a fan. And Philly is already loaded with knuckleheads so I don't think that helps a bit. Simmons reminds me of a slightly bigger Kyle Anderson.

agree

Cant shoot. Awful teammate. Are my reasons.

I certainly could be wrong. I will note the entire LSU team voted not to play in the NIT because they couldnt stand the guy and didn't want to take the floor again with him. As I wrote I certainly could be wrong, but I am not a fan. And Philly is already loaded with knuckleheads so I don't think that helps a bit. Simmons reminds me of a slightly bigger Kyle Anderson.
His shot needs improvement at the next level.

There were zero complaints, that I'm aware of, about Simmons from his teammates at Montverde Academy or his AAU program.

I think that the kid never wanted to go to college and that surfaced. Especially after the fall semester ended in December and he all but stopped going to class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT