ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Elizabeth Elmora LLWS

Am torn here...came very close to pulling my team off the field against a younger (8u) Elmora travel team a two years ago due to blatant cheating and extremely poor sportsmanship by Elmora coaches. Soon after, I regretted not actually pulling my team off to teach my own team a lesson about how NOT to compete.

At that age in the league we played in, baserunners not yet halfway to the next base when the ball was thrown back to the pitcher were to return to the prior base. Runners more than halfway once the pitcher got the ball were allowed to advance to the next base.

The 8u Elmora team's runners would continue running no matter that our pitcher had the ball, but worse, would take two more bases. The Elmora coaches took advantage of there being only one umpire (behind the plate) and a bad one at that who couldn't keep up with the action. And they argued with the ump to get that second extra base every time knowing they were flat out lying.

For example, runner just rounds second when our pitcher gets the ball back. By rule (not halfway to third) he must go to back to second, but the 3d base coach would tell the kids to keep running and then had the nerve to argue with the ump that the kid was actually more than halfway between third and home and therefore entitled to score. And their kids didn't even bother to tag up on caught fly balls, of course arguing with the solo,lousy ump that they did tag up.

All game long this BS. They had no shame. We're talking 8u here.

This LLWS team is two years older than the team I coached against, with different coaches, but still not easy to root for due to the above.
Sorry to hear that. We all want to teach good sportsmanship as coaches. I grew up in the EYL back in the 70’s. Now live in Bergen County and coached all my kids teams up here. There are coaches in every town and every league like the ones you described. I coached against them myself. That being said, don’t let one set of coaches from a league taint your perception of the league. Most coaches coach with class. From all I have heard, this bunch of coaches are good guys.

I’m a little older than you, I recall the anticipation of the Linden vs Elizabeth games with Aaron Howard vs Jon McDanials. 1977-1977 years. Went to grammar school in Bayway section of Elizabeth, lived in Linden.
I went to St A’s for grammar school, my cousins went to St Hedwigs. I had 2 older brothers, which would take me to all the high school hoop games. As a kid, went to a lot of St Pats, St Mary’s, and E-High games. Good times.

Graduated from Thomas Jefferson in 67 with Gil Chapman’s big brother Sam who played for RU. Always proud to have grown up in Elizabeth. Sandy Pyonin was also from Elmora, TJ class of 66 I believe.

Thanks for the info, will definitely be watching.

Reactions: Abro1975
Graduated from Thomas Jefferson in 67 with Gil Chapman’s big brother Sam who played for RU. Always proud to have grown up in Elizabeth. Sandy Pyonin was also from Elmora, TJ class of 66 I believe.

Thanks for the info, will definitely be watching.

I remember Gil Chapman. He was great. I think he went to play at Michigan. I remember seeing one of those great EO teams travel and play a great Phillipsburg team at their big Maloney Stadium. They had a sell out of about 7, 000 of that game I think. I was a kid then, and was pretty impressed.
My older brother went to Upsala College in the late 60s, Upsala had football up until the mid 70s I think.

For anyone that wants help to the families of the Elmora team out, here is a link to a gofundme from a Facebook post by District 6 Little League (neighboring district to the Elmora district).

'Elizabeth's Elmora Troopers' https://dm2.gofund.me/elizabeth039s-elmora-troopers-to-llws-regionals

Hey, D6ers. As serious LL fans, we're sure you've heard that our neighbors and friends from the @ [Elmora Youth League] Little League are headed to Williamsport for the Little League World Series. We wish them the best of luck and we know you'll be rooting for them to go all the way, as they represent New Jersey.
But, we'd also like to ask you to support them before any of the World Series games begin. Winning level after level of tournaments and spending the summer chasing your dreams can add up to a costly endeavor both in travel and time off from work. And, it all happens so quickly, making planning for it nearly impossible.
Elmora has set up a Go Fund Me page to help make sure the families of every kid on the team can can be there to cheer every pitch, put-out and plate appearance made in this ultimate level of tournament play.
https://www.gofundme.com/elizabeth039s-elmora-troopers-to-llws-regionals
Please consider helping out with this endeavor.
THANK YOU!
#GoTroopers

Is that Al Jakucs?. If so he was the Linden AD when I was in high school. The other name I've only seen or heard.QUOTE} Definitely the same person.I was a recreation tchr. In NEWARK AT THE TIME hOURS 3-9. hAD THE DAY IN WHICH TO PICK UP SOME SUBBING BUCKS.(sorry about the messy typing) My Sister lived in Linden on Princeton Road.Her kids All went through the Linden ED. system. K-12.Dated a girl from Linden for a while.Name to be unmentioned in case you married her. (:))
Let me add a little Linden note. Troy Stafford was a great RB at Linden. RU told him that they would take him as a DB .Boston College told him that they would give him a try at RB and then,at DB if he didn't cut it in the backfield.Needless to say he stayed at RB. The first time he touched the ball.against RU, he took it 75 yards to the house.Many years later I bumped into him at a Bally's gym in Davie FL.He was a Dolphin at the time.Walked up to him and said" you're the Linden kid,right?" He smiled ,we had a great conversation.I busted him about not going to RU,and that's when i learned about the stuff I wrote about above. I'm pretty sure he was recruited to BC by an old friend of mine Red Kelin,who was a linebacker Coach,when Jack BICKNELL was HC.Troy is the nicest,personable young man you can imagine.Runs a close second to Deron Cherry in that department.

Last edited:
I remember Gil Chapman. He was great. I think he went to play at Michigan. I remember seeing one of those great EO teams travel and play a great Phillipsburg team at their big Maloney Stadium. They had a sell out of about 7, 000 of that game I think. I was a kid then, and was pretty impressed.
My older brother went to Upsala College in the late 60s, Upsala had football up until the mid 70s I think.
Moose Hill starred for Upsala,at RB, back in the Day.

which of you geezers, like me , remember Alcides Catanho, the great BB and Football player from Elizabeth, who went on to a pretty good football career at Rutgers in the early 1990s and even got to play in the NFL a bit?
. And of course the great Khas Greene, from Elizabeth. I worked my way thru RU as a Railroad Conductor, and remember North Eliz Station, Elizabeth Station, Linden , Rahway, Elmora Tower to switch the rails, and even had my RR physical in Elizabeth with a quack doctor around 1969. Threw many a drunk off the trains at those stations, lol. The best were all the 'visitors' for Rahway St Prison on Saturdays. And the pretty young ladies who got off in MetroPark, Metuchen and Edison. A great job for a young RU dude at the time.
Of course, my last stop was usually New Brunswick. I'd hit The Showcase Lounge on Easton Ave a few feet away from the train station, have 1 or 6, then stop a Crazy Rhythms and see my buds from The Smithereens working there, get something to eat from Cluck U next door, have another 1 or 3 at Olde Queens Tavern, then finally arriving home at 121 Hamilton St. Hopefully , w a 'friend' I met along the way. Didn't miss an RU FB or BB game for many years. Many visiting coaching staffs could be found at The Showcase Lounge the night before games, too. A lot of laughs with them.

I was in the acme a couple years ago in Ocean City with an RU football shirt on and this guy behind me asks if I went to RU. We get to talking and it turns out to be Alcides Catanho. He was shocked that I not only knew who he was but mentioned the fact that he was an EHS product. Nice guy

Reactions: Abro1975 and B0ski
Elmira got benefit of call now up 6-2. Runner out of base line not called out. Gave them two runs. 5th inning

Bad call yes, runner should have been sent back to 3rd. Also, glad NJ is winning, but don't like the dancing and antics by NJ players. Bad Sportsmanship , IMO.

Bad call yes, runner should have been sent back to 3rd. Also, glad NJ is winning, but don't like the dancing and antics by NJ players. Bad Sportsmanship , IMO.
Actually runner out of base line should have been third out - inning over before runner from third scored. Infield fly rule was second out, runner going to third should have been third out.

John Shumate in basketball and Richie Wood and Gil Chapman in football at Jeff.

Anyone remember the pitcher at Roselle Catholic in the late 60's that use to throw BBs? It was Brian something?

One of the Elmora kids is the grandson of a very old friend and classmate of mine. Sadly Sal passed away years ago. He would have been so proud.

John Shumate in basketball and Richie Wood and Gil Chapman in football at Jeff.

Anyone remember the pitcher at Roselle Catholic in the late 60's that use to throw BBs? It was Brian something?

Do you remember the Thomas Jefferson vs Woodbridge game

Chapman did not play if I recall but Woods and another player were dominating

I think it was a Spanish kid last name started with a M. He also might have been the punter

I was in the acme a couple years ago in Ocean City with an RU football shirt on and this guy behind me asks if I went to RU. We get to talking and it turns out to be Alcides Catanho. He was shocked that I not only knew who he was but mentioned the fact that he was an EHS product. Nice guy
wow, that's a name from the past I forgot but glad to hear.

There was a shot early in the game of 3 Oregon players standing at the dugout fence mocking the Jersey pitcher too with that shake. Every year you can see these things just getting a little loser as the kids try to emulate the "ADULTS".

My home boys are getting it done!!!

I was born in Elizabeth and grew up in the "North End" section back in the 60's and 70's.

Go Troopers!!!

Gil Chapman.best athlete ever ,old Thomas Jeff..Elizabeth High.

Hard to argue with that ... although Richie Wood might have a different opinion, lol.

I went to ALL the Jefferson football games and graduated in 1973.

I thought Gil Chapman was the greatest football player ever when I watched him as a kid

I remember he ran a kickoff back for a touchdown and it was called back. They kicked again and he ran that kick back. I believe it was against Linden

My home boys are getting it done!!!

I was born in Elizabeth and grew up in the "North End" section back in the 60's and 70's.

Go Troopers!!!

Did you hang out at Chiodo's (spelling is probably wrong) on Jackson Ave.? Chris Bollwage, who's been the Mayor of Elizabeth for about 30 years now, was a bartender there and ran the North Elizabeth Little League.
I grew up down the Port about the same time.

Use to play a lot at Drotar (sp?) field by The Manor.

Summer PAL baseball? I played in that league. Larry Lewandowski use to run it. Or was it softball at night?
I use to play in the Cuban baseball league down at Brophy Field.
Cienfuegos was the team I played for.

Summer PAL baseball? I played in that league. Larry Lewandowski use to run it. Or was it softball at night?
I use to play in the Cuban baseball league down at Brophy Field.
Cienfuegos was the team I played for.

For St. Hedwigs catholic school league. Knew Larry very well, he was our gym teacher think my 8th grade year.

ADVERTISEMENT