ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Elizabeth Elmora LLWS

I played for Holy Rosary. If I remember correctly you guys and St. Anthony's were the best teams.

We had some good years. St. Anthony’s was a big rival for us in basketball my years also.

Who was the coach of the 8th grade team? I remember Lloyd Avery coached the little guys.

Basketball? Ernie Petagano(sp?) one year, than Larry Crawford my 8th grade year. Lloyd was an assistant my 8th grade year.

Let me add a little Linden note. Troy Stafford was a great RB at Linden. RU told him that they would take him as a DB .Boston College told him that they would give him a try at RB and then,at DB if he didn't cut it in the backfield.Needless to say he stayed at RB. The first time he touched the ball.against RU, he took it 75 yards to the house.Many years later I bumped into him at a Bally's gym in Davie FL.He was a Dolphin at the time.Walked up to him and said" you're the Linden kid,right?" He smiled ,we had a great conversation.I busted him about not going to RU,and that's when i learned about the stuff I wrote about above. I'm pretty sure he was recruited to BC by an old friend of mine Red Kelin,who was a linebacker Coach,when Jack BICKNELL was HC.Troy is the nicest,personable young man you can imagine.Runs a close second to Deron Cherry in that department.

I remember Red Kelin as a terrific coach at Johnson Regional in Clark in the early sixties. Frank Spaziani was his star QB who went on to play defense on Paterno's early Penn State teams.

Reactions: beaced
I remember Red Kelin as a terrific coach at Johnson Regional in Clark in the early sixties. Frank Spaziani was his star QB who went on to play defense on Paterno's early Penn State teams.
Red was a very good Coach. That's all that he wanted to do. Be a FB Coach. Was an assistant at Colgate ,under Fred Dunlop,when we closed an undefeated season,in 1976 at GS.There was a controversial call,in RU's favor,during the game. Red was so upset about it that his face turned the color of the maroonish jacket that he was wearing.He had coached Jack Bicknell,at North Plainfield H.S.Years later when Bicknell was hired at BC,he brought Red there from Colgate.Football was Red's Passion.He' s gone now.

Simpson Field????

The fence in right was about a half mile away and left and center were about 5 miles away. Are you thinking of Roselle Catholic maybe?
Lolololol definitely Roselle catholic with the short porch. I was a catcher for Abraham Clark and played in the st Joseph’s boys league.

Reactions: colbert17
ADVERTISEMENT