ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Elizabeth Elmora LLWS

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Up big in the regional final tonight. A win and they punch a ticket to the Little League World Series, which is one of the coolest events on the sporting calendar to anyone that ever played little league baseball. I always root for a local team to make it.

It's been a GREAT yr for baseball for me the boys in my daughter's Nutley 7th grade class made the intermediate LLWS in CA and growing up in Roselle and good friends with alot of Elmora guys....another one of my local teams to root for. What are the chances of 1 in a lifetime...I have 2 this year stoked

There are two Elmora neighborhoods within one. The old Jewish hood and the Latino hood downtown.These kids are obviously downtowners. Bring it home muchachos!!?

These kids aren’t from downtown Elizabeth. They’re from the Elmora section, which is still the nicest area of the city. Still has a significant Jewish population, but definitely outnumbered by the Hispanic population. They may not all be from Elmora Hills, but the broader Elmora area is relatively nice too.

I was born and raised in Elizabeth (Elmora) and my cousin is coaching his kid on the team. Couldn’t be more excited for what they’ve accomplished and the memories they’re creating. They were close to making it last year, and have been driven to succeed at this like you couldn’t imagine. This is a dream come true for them.

These kids aren’t from downtown Elizabeth. They’re from the Elmora section, which is still the nicest area of the city. Still has a significant Jewish population, but definitely outnumbered by the Hispanic population. They may not all be from Elmora Hills, but the broader Elmora area is relatively nice too.

I was born and raised in Elizabeth (Elmora) and my cousin is coaching his kid on the team. Couldn’t be more excited for what they’ve accomplished and the memories they’re creating. They were close to making it last year, and have been driven to succeed at this like you couldn’t imagine. This is a dream come true for them.
Jewish, Hispanic, Black, Asian or White. Who cares. What they are are the best LL baseball team in the Northeast.

So proud of these kids. I grew up in Elmora and played in the EYL when it first started back in the 70’s. We always had great players. Even then we had a few 12 year olds that were huge.

Reactions: IMARUFAN

When does this team play next?

The team that plays behind my brothers house in Barrington RI is in...he says the whole town feels like Super Bowl Sunday...and that’s saying something in New England!!

which of you geezers, like me , remember Alcides Catanho, the great BB and Football player from Elizabeth, who went on to a pretty good football career at Rutgers in the early 1990s and even got to play in the NFL a bit?
. And of course the great Khas Greene, from Elizabeth. I worked my way thru RU as a Railroad Conductor, and remember North Eliz Station, Elizabeth Station, Linden , Rahway, Elmora Tower to switch the rails, and even had my RR physical in Elizabeth with a quack doctor around 1969. Threw many a drunk off the trains at those stations, lol. The best were all the 'visitors' for Rahway St Prison on Saturdays. And the pretty young ladies who got off in MetroPark, Metuchen and Edison. A great job for a young RU dude at the time.
Of course, my last stop was usually New Brunswick. I'd hit The Showcase Lounge on Easton Ave a few feet away from the train station, have 1 or 6, then stop a Crazy Rhythms and see my buds from The Smithereens working there, get something to eat from Cluck U next door, have another 1 or 3 at Olde Queens Tavern, then finally arriving home at 121 Hamilton St. Hopefully , w a 'friend' I met along the way. Didn't miss an RU FB or BB game for many years. Many visiting coaching staffs could be found at The Showcase Lounge the night before games, too. A lot of laughs with them.

Last edited:
which of you geezers, like me , remember Alcides Catanho, the great BB and Football player from Elizabeth, who went on to a pretty good football career at Rutgers in the early 1990s and even got to play in the NFL a bit?
. And of course the great Khas Greene, from Elizabeth. I worked my way thru RU as a Railroad Conductor, and remember North Eliz Station, Elizabeth Station, Linden , Rahway, Elmora Tower to switch the rails, and even had my RR physical in Elizabeth with a quack doctor around 1969. Threw many a drunk off the trains at those stations, lol. The best were all the 'visitors' for Rahway St Prison on Saturdays. And the pretty young ladies who got off in MetroPark, Metuchen and Edison. A great job for a young RU dude at the time.
Of course, my last stop was usually New Brunswick. I'd hit The Showcase Lounge on Easton Ave a few feet away from the train station, have 1 or 6, then stop a Crazy Rhythms and see my buds from The Smithereens working there, get something to eat from Cluck U next door, have another 1 or 3 at Olde Queens Tavern, then finally arriving home at 121 Hamilton St. Hopefully , w a 'friend' I met along the way. Didn't miss an RU FB or BB game for many years. Many visiting coaching staffs could be found at The Showcase Lounge the night before games, too. A lot of laughs with them.

Malik Jackson was pretty good too

It's been a GREAT yr for baseball for me the boys in my daughter's Nutley 7th grade class made the intermediate LLWS in CA and growing up in Roselle and good friends with alot of Elmora guys....another one of my local teams to root for. What are the chances of 1 in a lifetime...I have 2 this year stoked
Greenknight I grew up in Roselle also graduated hghschool in 83. You went to RC? What year did you graduate?

I remember Catanho well. Saw him play against Linden, my alma mater too many times. He was quite the 2 sport athlete.

You probably bounced me off a couple times

I played baseball at Roselle once, outfield had a short porch.

I hit an opposite field HR
They redid the field a couple years ago. Two 30ft high fences in left and right now . I've gone back there the last 2 yrs for alumni baseball game it's fun for sure

I actually played on the same Little League team with Todd Bowles (Lions) in Elizabethport. Rodney Carter also played (Firemen?).

Graduated in EHS in 82, great football, basketball, and baseball teams, during my years there. One year E-High was # 1 in Star Liar for all those sports at various points during the year.

I actually played on the same Little League team with Todd Bowles (Lions) in Elizabethport. Rodney Carter also played (Firemen?).

Graduated in EHS in 82, great football, basketball, and baseball teams, during my years there. One year E-High was # 1 in Star Liar for all those sports at various points during the year.

I’m a little older than you, I recall the anticipation of the Linden vs Elizabeth games with Aaron Howard vs Jon McDanials. 1977-1977 years. Went to grammar school in Bayway section of Elizabeth, lived in Linden.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
When I was a kid the North Elizabeth Youth Baseball league would kick the crap out of every other league’s all star team. We beat Eport Elmora and the Cubanitos. So happy for the Elmora team and Elizabeth. They have by far the best facilities little league wise in the city.

I graduated from EHS in '84 and was a freshmen on the baseball team when Todd and Rodney were seniors. We traveled on the same bus to all the games (since freshmen and varsity teams generally played the same away team). Todd was always the quiet one. Rodney was always talking the whole bus ride. Fun times.

We were state champs (#1 in state) in 1983. Those were some great teams with Mark Biegert (who played for Clemson as well). One of the reasons I still root for Clemson to this day.

Last edited:
I remember Catanho well. Saw him play against Linden, my alma mater too many times. He was quite the 2 sport athlete.
I used to substitute teach PE at LINDEN. H.S.. Classroom too. Back in the late 50's,early 60's.Probably too far back for you to know the names Joe Gaines and Al Jaks.PE teachers.

I used to substitute teach PE at LINDEN. H.S.. Classroom too. Back in the late 50's,early 60's.Probably too far back for you to know the names Joe Gaines and Al Jaks.PE teachers.
Is that Al Jakucs?. If so he was the Linden AD when I was in high school. The other name I've only seen or heard.

Am torn here...came very close to pulling my team off the field against a younger (8u) Elmora travel team a two years ago due to blatant cheating and extremely poor sportsmanship by Elmora coaches. Soon after, I regretted not actually pulling my team off to teach my own team a lesson about how NOT to compete.

At that age in the league we played in, baserunners not yet halfway to the next base when the ball was thrown back to the pitcher were to return to the prior base. Runners more than halfway once the pitcher got the ball were allowed to advance to the next base.

The 8u Elmora team's runners would continue running no matter that our pitcher had the ball, but worse, would take two more bases. The Elmora coaches took advantage of there being only one umpire (behind the plate) and a bad one at that who couldn't keep up with the action. And they argued with the ump to get that second extra base every time knowing they were flat out lying.

For example, runner just rounds second when our pitcher gets the ball back. By rule (not halfway to third) he must go to back to second, but the 3d base coach would tell the kids to keep running and then had the nerve to argue with the ump that the kid was actually more than halfway between third and home and therefore entitled to score. And their kids didn't even bother to tag up on caught fly balls, of course arguing with the solo,lousy ump that they did tag up.

All game long this BS. They had no shame. We're talking 8u here.

This LLWS team is two years older than the team I coached against, with different coaches, but still not easy to root for due to the above.

My son's team is in the same section as Elmora. They made it to their district championship game but couldn't get their bats going after scoring a ton of runs leading up to the championship. Wish they would have won districts and got a crack at Elmora to see how they would have measured up. The older kids lost to Elmora in the Sectionals last year.

Am torn here...came very close to pulling my team off the field against a younger (8u) Elmora travel team a two years ago due to blatant cheating and extremely poor sportsmanship by Elmora coaches. Soon after, I regretted not actually pulling my team off to teach my own team a lesson about how NOT to compete.

At that age in the league we played in, baserunners not yet halfway to the next base when the ball was thrown back to the pitcher were to return to the prior base. Runners more than halfway once the pitcher got the ball were allowed to advance to the next base.

The 8u Elmora team's runners would continue running no matter that our pitcher had the ball, but worse, would take two more bases. The Elmora coaches took advantage of there being only one umpire (behind the plate) and a bad one at that who couldn't keep up with the action. And they argued with the ump to get that second extra base every time knowing they were flat out lying.

For example, runner just rounds second when our pitcher gets the ball back. By rule (not halfway to third) he must go to back to second, but the 3d base coach would tell the kids to keep running and then had the nerve to argue with the ump that the kid was actually more than halfway between third and home and therefore entitled to score. And their kids didn't even bother to tag up on caught fly balls, of course arguing with the solo,lousy ump that they did tag up.

All game long this BS. They had no shame. We're talking 8u here.

This LLWS team is two years older than the team I coached against, with different coaches, but still not easy to root for due to the above.

Certainly your right to feel that way if a team from that league was exhibiting blatant cheating and poor sportsmanship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT