ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Euro 2020 starts today

Uh that was my tennis thread. Don’t be a dick about another sport that people enjoy. Trust me, I’m not one to sympathize with the poster you’re responding to, but you’re better than that. I generally empathize with the trolling you endure around here, but now you’ve sorta pissed me off.

Also, your not you’re.
Did you see his post in this thread? He's the one who was trolling - I was just trolling him back, since he's such a big tennis fan, which I thought was obvious - didn't mean to piss anyone off. I actually like tennis - used to play with my dad all the time.

Did you see his post in this thread? He's the one who was trolling - I was just trolling him back, since he's such a big tennis fan, which I thought was obvious - didn't mean to piss anyone off. I actually like tennis - used to play with my dad all the time.
Yeah I saw it, so what? Just admit you were being a dick about tennis and ignorant as to whose thread it was. All good.

Yeah I saw it, so what? Just admit you were being a dick about tennis and ignorant as to whose thread it was. All good.
I was being a dick to T, not about tennis, but probably could've made that clearer or picked a different way to troll him back - your thread is a good one and I actually don't know why it didn't get more attention. I generally watch the last few rounds of most majors. Let's get back to soccer. Go USA!

Southgate’s subs didn’t work at all. Henderson was poor, Saka was poor. Grealish was decent. Kane had to stay in for penalties, which he buried, unstoppable shot, but the first two England misses were guys that I don’t think had time even to touch the ball in the game. Then to have a 19yo in place to lose it, poor choosing.
Completely agree. I also thought Rashford should've come on for Kane late in regulation, as Kane was ineffective in the 2nd half and the speed of Rashford and Sterling with Grealish distributing could've been much more effective, especially with a tired, aging back line for Italy, which England barely tested late.

And if you're going to bring Rashford and Sancho on, at least do it at the beginning of OT not at the end, so they have a chance to contribute and get into the flow of the game before having to take PKs - and yeah, Saka being the last PK taker was just plain dumb.

Southgate should get great credit for getting England to the final and playing pretty well today, at least in the first half, but as Macca said, they went into a shell way too early and lost their edge, rather than continuing to press and disrupt Italy.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Completely agree. I also thought Rashford should've come on for Kane late in regulation, as Kane was ineffective in the 2nd half and the speed of Rashford and Sterling with Grealish distributing could've been much more effective, especially with a tired, aging back line for Italy, which England barely tested late.

And if you're going to bring Rashford and Sancho on, at least do it at the beginning of OT not at the end, so they have a chance to contribute and get into the flow of the game before having to take PKs - and yeah, Saka being the last PK taker was just plain dumb.

Southgate should get great credit for getting England to the final and playing pretty well today, at least in the first half, but as Macca said, they went into a shell way too early and lost their edge, rather than continuing to press and disrupt Italy.
Agree except you cannot take Kane off a tie match. Kane’s problem to me was two fold, tactics to drop back and defend after the early goal, Kane was playing deep most of the game, did make some nice passes early. And second he got zero service from wings. If you noticed the early England goal, Kane was in the box, two defenders tracked him leaving the back post wide open for Shaw to run into.

Kane was double and triple teamed all day. The wings should have been more effective to make plays but didn’t. Sterling ran with the ball, and time after time dribbled too deep and lost the ball with a bad touch. Sterling makes great runs, maybe the best in the tournament, but holds the ball to long, needs to make quicker decisions.

Reactions: CERU00
I like this kid Moore at right back for the USA. Puts a nice ball into the box.

I'm not posting the video, but a horrible injury to Mexico's Chucky Lozano last night. Plus, Mexico only managed a 0-0 tie to Trinidad and Tobago.
Someone needs to sign the Trinidad and Tobago Goalie Martin Phillip to a contract. He single handedly saved the match with a Heroic performance in goal to get the point for TnT. 😊👍

Didn't realize that Pulisic, Dest, McKennie and other top US players weren't playing in the Gold Cup, mostly so they could rest up for their leagues and for World Cup qualifying starting in the fall. Will be interesting to see many younger players. Good goal by the US, but giving up a lot of good chances to Haiti.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/06/23/football/1624449834_148474.html
Haiti has looked dangerous. Better finish by Ethiene #10 and the game is tied. US almost added to their advantage late in the half.

Southgate’s subs didn’t work at all. Henderson was poor, Saka was poor. Grealish was decent. Kane had to stay in for penalties, which he buried, unstoppable shot, but the first two England misses were guys that I don’t think had time even to touch the ball in the game. Then to have a 19yo in place to lose it, poor choosing.
Sterling scores a lot of goals even though his first touch is usually horrible, but that wasn’t going to work against a team as defensively disciplined as Italy. I would have subbed him out after about 75’.

Agree except you cannot take Kane off a tie match. Kane’s problem to me was two fold, tactics to drop back and defend after the early goal, Kane was playing deep most of the game, did make some nice passes early. And second he got zero service from wings. If you noticed the early England goal, Kane was in the box, two defenders tracked him leaving the back post wide open for Shaw to run into.

Kane was double and triple teamed all day. The wings should have been more effective to make plays but didn’t. Sterling ran with the ball, and time after time dribbled too deep and lost the ball with a bad touch. Sterling makes great runs, maybe the best in the tournament, but holds the ball to long, needs to make quicker decisions.
Sterlings speed creates so many opportunities. Unfortunately, he often seems to think he is the lone offensive player. When he's used properly, with the wings and Kane, he's a real threat. When he plays hero ball he is guaranteed to give it up and lose possession.

Sterling scores a lot of goals even though his first touch is usually horrible, but that wasn’t going to work against a team as defensively disciplined as Italy. I would have subbed him out after about 75’.
Can't argue with you. Foden injury was very unfortunate but that doesn't explain Sancho coming on so late.

England lol. Deep down, they love to lose. They’d rather lose and complain than actually win.

They will never win anything of consequence in anything.

In a playoff format, which is what this was, you should play until someone wins. Like hockey.

Save the penalty kicks for the regular season. It turns the "beautiful game" into just a "pretty" one.

And how big is that Italian goalie? It looked like he could have touched the crossbar flat footed. LOL

Reactions: RUJohnny
In a playoff format, which is what this was, you should play until someone wins. Like hockey.

Save the penalty kicks for the regular season. It turns the "beautiful game" into just a "pretty" one.

And how big is that Italian goalie? It looked like he could have touched the crossbar flat footed. LOL
What you suggests works in hockey because you have unlimited substitutions. It would not work in soccer. Players would collapse from exhaustion.

Obviously, an easy solution to that problem would be to allow unlimited substitutions in soccer overtime. Doubt it will ever happen though. Because of tradition or something.

Didn't realize that Pulisic, Dest, McKennie and other top US players weren't playing in the Gold Cup, mostly so they could rest up for their leagues and for World Cup qualifying starting in the fall. Will be interesting to see many younger players. Good goal by the US, but giving up a lot of good chances to Haiti.

https://en.as.com/en/2021/06/23/football/1624449834_148474.html

If history serves, we may see 5 to 7 players on this year's Gold Cup on the World Cup roster. That is, assuming we make the World Cup. I think we'll make the World Cup.

Paraphrasing a Churchill quote about democracy as an analogy to PKs: Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those others that have been tried.

There isn't a good alternative to PKs. The players are exhausted - they cannot be expected to continue without fear of collapsing on the field. PKs may suck, but they are gripping. The drama is incredible - as we saw yesterday.

Reactions: fg7321
What you suggests works in hockey because you have unlimited substitutions. It would not work in soccer. Players would collapse from exhaustion.

Obviously, an easy solution to that problem would be to allow unlimited substitutions in soccer overtime. Doubt it will ever happen though. Because of tradition or something.
Then get in better shape. 😉

Or more accurate with your foot so there is less of a chance for OT in the first place. Not withstanding the size of the Italian guy in the net yesterday - who was huge, it's a big goal.

Substition on the fly would be fun to watch in Soccer. Especially in OT.

Last edited:
Paraphrasing a Churchill quote about democracy as an analogy to PKs: Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those others that have been tried.

There isn't a good alternative to PKs. The players are exhausted - they cannot be expected to continue without fear of collapsing on the field. PKs may suck, but they are gripping. The drama is incredible - as we saw yesterday.
I just gave you three above.

Granted the first one was tongue in cheek, but the other two aren't.

I think 2 additional extra time substitutions is a better alternative.

I'm guessing you are more of a football fan than a soccer fan.
I am a sports fan. Like them all. Even watch cricket, curling, the crazy skating and skiing ones, you name it.

But to bring it back to football, Herman Edwards is right...you play to win the game. Play.

@RU848789

12:30pm Friday.

It's on.
If you have room for one more, I'd be happy to join you guys on Friday. If you haven't played Oak Ridge before it can be a little confusing in spots, as they still have temporary tees marked with stakes (tee pads supposedly going in this summer). Do you know if you guys are playing the long or short tees?

It's a start.

I love see a guy who came out, be allowed back in too.
in-game subs weren't allowed at all until sometime around 1960. playing with what you got has been built into the fabric of the game for a long long time. guys who subbed off being allowed back on will not happen anytime in the near future.

NJ High School eliminated PKs to break ties for State Champion Games and just declare Co-Champions but then reversed that in 2018.

NJ High School eliminated PKs to break ties for State Champion Games and just declare Co-Champions but then reversed that in 2018.

That I can see as not all fields have lights. I have been to some soccer playoff games in NJ with lights and even then depending on the venue, not so much. Since it’s a Fall sport in NJ you could run out of time sun-wise.

That I can see as not all fields have lights. I have been to some soccer playoff games in NJ with lights and even then depending on the venue, not so much. Since it’s a Fall sport in NJ you could run out of time sun-wise.
Back in the late 80s, there were indeed some cold late afternoons in November chasing ambient daylight, especially if you were on the bench, lol. Even with long sleeve shirts and a medium weight jacket (that you had to decide whether to use to wrap your exposed legs instead since just wearing thin shorts). No other warm-up suits/gear afforded. At least at practice you were active and sweating and running gassers at the end, well into the darkness. Ahh, the memories....

Back in the late 80s, there were indeed some cold late afternoons in November chasing ambient daylight, especially if you were on the bench, lol. Even with long sleeve shirts and a medium weight jacket (that you had to decide whether to use to wrap your exposed legs instead since just wearing thin shorts). No other warm-up suits/gear afforded. At least at practice you were active and sweating and running gassers at the end, well into the darkness. Ahh, the memories....
simple solution...don't ride the bench and make sure you're in the XI!

Reactions: RUnTeX
Italy had a pretty easy group stage which it dominated. The two big teams they beat were Belgium and Spain.

England didn’t dominate its group but did beat Germany.
It wasn't that easy. Switzerland made the Quarterfinals by beating France, the defending World Cup Champions! It's easy to forget that because Italy crushed the Swiss 3-0.

Last edited:
Actually this is just for the group championship games which are played at TCNJ or other venues with lights. the thought was that after 120 Minutes if still a tie call it a day and declare Co-Champions

Actually this is just for the group championship games which are played at TCNJ or other venues with lights. the thought was that after 120 Minutes if still a tie call it a day and declare Co-Champions
Saw a girl’s state game a few years ago at Holmdel HS and the lights were eh.

If you have room for one more, I'd be happy to join you guys on Friday. If you haven't played Oak Ridge before it can be a little confusing in spots, as they still have temporary tees marked with stakes (tee pads supposedly going in this summer). Do you know if you guys are playing the long or short tees?

Probably short tees-mixed group. I will wear a Rutgers jersey.

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT