ADVERTISEMENT

OT--Events Like These Should Be At Rutgers

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
It drives me crazy (I know,get a life) when I see statewide events like state championships,All-Star Games,conferences,etc. held at locations other than the STATE UNIVERSITY. Between students,coaches, athletic directors,family and maybe even teammates, I am guessing there must be at least a couple hundred people involved in New Jersey high school sports attending an event like this. Rutgers needs to get as many people as possible to campus. Just my two cents.--http://www.njsiaa.org/events-news-media/news/new-jersey-girls-women-sports-day-event

I've always said that the hs football finals should be over a 3 day weekend in rutgers in December just like other state HS do with their championships. Of course that would mean have 5/9 state finals instead of 23 state finals but that's another argument for another day.

They do it right for boys basketball (publics and TOC). Maybe they should also host finals in other sports.

I totally agree.

Grew up in New Jersey, but now live in the Midwest. Growing up, Rutgers was just another school as far as I was concerned (I went elsewhere for college) and only marginally felt like the state university.

I married into an Iowa State family and you feel it in their communities that their state universities are state treasures and resources. Culturally, academically, and athletically, people respect the role of the State U in the welfare of the state. Rutgers and New Jersey felt too much like a 'them vs us' mentality.

Bringing stuff like this and getting families, kids, and everyone else on campus once every two to three years for something would go a long way in making people recognize the value-add of a major academic and cultural institution in the state.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
I know The RAC is pretty booked until the practice facility is finished,but we need to start using our stadium,arena,theaters/concert halls,academic buildings,planetarium,etc. for more concerts,seminars,and other events year-round to bring the public to campus. Good to see things like Harlem Globetrotters coming in February. I don't care if it is a Bon Jovi concert,tractor pull,flea markets,wine festivals,marching band festivals,Star Trek conventions--just get people onto campus and get them familiar with THEIR State University.

Reactions: RU-AGK
I've always said that the hs football finals should be over a 3 day weekend in rutgers in December just like other state HS do with their championships. Of course that would mean have 5/9 state finals instead of 23 state finals but that's another argument for another day.

They do it right for boys basketball (publics and TOC). Maybe they should also host finals in other sports.

Pennsylvania have their football finals in Hershey.

PaKnight,
Schools like Penn State,Alabama,Ohio State,etc. already have their residents focusing in on their state university--as big of a Rutgers fan as I am, I know we are not at that point yet.

It drives me crazy (I know,get a life) when I see statewide events like state championships,All-Star Games,conferences,etc. held at locations other than the STATE UNIVERSITY. Between students,coaches, athletic directors,family and maybe even teammates, I am guessing there must be at least a couple hundred people involved in New Jersey high school sports attending an event like this. Rutgers needs to get as many people as possible to campus. Just my two cents.--http://www.njsiaa.org/events-news-media/news/new-jersey-girls-women-sports-day-event

The question you should have asked or answered WHY Seton Hall got it?

Better facility?

Closer location for the attendees?

RU PR people dropping the ball?

Seton Hall getting some juice from a NJ pol?

You and your marketing firm should meet with Hobbs and make a presentation.

I have been saying they should be hosting the girls gymnastics state championships for a few years, at least the top 3 levels. It would be good for the kids, parents and recruiting. I heard a girl say "she wanted to go anyplace but Rutgers." I wanted to say, shut up until you have at least visited.

The question you should have asked or answered WHY Seton Hall got it?

Better facility?

Closer location for the attendees?

RU PR people dropping the ball?

Seton Hall getting some juice from a NJ pol?
Oh that NEVER happens!

I always though it was the biggest joke that they call it a state championship. It a regional championship. Why cant they actually have a stat championship?

Pennsylvania have their football finals in Hershey.
Unless they put turf in they can't have the championships at Penn State. Penn State did try to host many of the many of the championships a few years ago but it really didn't halp recruiting in the sports much at all. Hershey is a much better venue to host many of the state championships because of the location. It a closer location to the majority of the population and schools.

I always though it was the biggest joke that they call it a state championship. It a regional championship. Why cant they actually have a stat championship?
Because they rather keep a meaningless Thanksgiving Day Game instead of ending the season earlier and play down to a single public school group champion (they already do for Parochial champions).

Another argument would be that they don't want the kids to play two extra games if they make it to a state final. Reduce the regular season back to 9 games and call it a night.

Because they rather keep a meaningless Thanksgiving Day Game instead of ending the season earlier and play down to a single public school group champion (they already do for Parochial champions).

Another argument would be that they don't want the kids to play two extra games if they make it to a state final. Reduce the regular season back to 9 games and call it a night.

Would love a final game between the Public and Parochial winners.

Think of it this way, now everyone can claim they are state champs, not just one team.

Most of these events go to bidding processes. We can't bid for all of them, nor win the all, it's that simple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT