ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Expressions You Truly Hate

" Was I speeding, Trooper ? "
Or from the other side.
"Licence, registration and insurance" 😂
That really is one that pretty much everyone can agree they hate hearing, including me. LOL

I've only been ticketed once in probably over 25 years or so, about 4-5 years back. Been pulled over maybe 4-5 times in that time without tickets being issued. But whenever I'm pulled over or ticketed, I am never mad at the LEO. I figure they're doing their job and it's me that was knowingly breaking the law. I also don't lie to the LEO, although I won't necessarily volunteer information either.

Anyway, my thinking is, if I don't want a ticket, I shouldn't drive fast. But I like to drive fast (sometimes, when it's relatively safe). So any tickets are entirely my fault, not the LEO's.

But despite the lack of anger, I'm still not happy to hear "license, registration and insurance". 🙂

Reactions: BigWill
"Gemba" and the use of Japanese words to describe ideas or words that already exist in English.

'score the ball'
When announcers ask: 'what does this mean to you?'
The overuse of the word patriot.

Touchdown "Fill in the blank". I'm tired of announcers screaming Touchdown Clemson, Alabama, Michigan : they sound like advertisements rather than reporting and the announcers are lazy and f'ing boring.

Loved Carlin's call last season (forgot the team)....he was screaming, passionate, and expressed the shear joy and relief that Rutgers won.

Oh yeah and "Have a Nice Day"....when you know the other person is really just trying to get rid of you and doesn't even remember what you wanted or your name!

MO

“making me feel some kinda way.”

Me: “Can you please be a little more descriptive? Thanks.”

"Could have been worse"
Anything designed to be motivational "Pain is fear leaving the body"
And the post-coital 'What are you thinking about?"

Reactions: rutger80
That really is one that pretty much everyone can agree they hate hearing, including me. LOL

I've only been ticketed once in probably over 25 years or so, about 4-5 years back. Been pulled over maybe 4-5 times in that time without tickets being issued. But whenever I'm pulled over or ticketed, I am never mad at the LEO. I figure they're doing their job and it's me that was knowingly breaking the law. I also don't lie to the LEO, although I won't necessarily volunteer information either.

Anyway, my thinking is, if I don't want a ticket, I shouldn't drive fast. But I like to drive fast (sometimes, when it's relatively safe). So any tickets are entirely my fault, not the LEO's.

But despite the lack of anger, I'm still not happy to hear "license, registration and insurance". 🙂

"Call the court clerk at the number on the reverse side. Have a nice day." (The later only if the speeder was a dick.).

Stopped a speeder at the Holmdel fishing hole on GSP at MP 113 SBI. He kept asking for me; " to hurry it up ! I've got a hot tip at Monmouth !" Naturally I slowed down. He later pled Not Guilty and went to Court. Ken Smith used to be the Judge and a no nonsense Judge. He heard the story. "Did you make it for the race ? Did the horse win ?"
Told "No", to both questions, Ken responded; "See the Trooper did you a favor. Guilty $ 500 fine."
(It was for a high speed around 100).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUtrumpet92
When I was going to college in North Carolina, it was the phrase "Fixing to"

I would always have to ask, "Well, are you going to do it, or not, because I need to know to change my schedule."

Reactions: m1ipabrams
Thank you thank you. I think it's "like" a local thing and I usually "like" respond your welcome your welcome.

"Call the court clerk at the number on the reverse side. Have a nice day." (The later only if the speeder was a dick.).

Stopped a speeder at the Holmdel fishing hole on GSP at MP 113 SBI. He kept asking for me; " to hurry it up ! I've got a hot tip at Monmouth !" Naturally I slowed down. He later pled Not Guilty and went to Court. Ken Smith used to be the Judge and a no nonsense Judge. He heard the story. "Did you make it for the race ? Did the horse win ?"
Told "No", to both questions, Ken responded; "See the Trooper did you a favor. Guilty $ 500 fine."
(It was for a high speed around 100).
I've heard some pretty funny stories over the years, from traffic cops about how ridiculous people can be. My youngest likes watching the cop shows on TV that show some of those sorts of things, with drunks who fall down getting out of their cars to people being arrogant jerks like the guy you mentioned.
I have a kind of funny story from 30+ years ago (I was basically just a kid). I ran into a radar trap in I80 in PA doing 120mph. I was headed out to Muncy PA for a meeting, and hauling ass through a stretch of mostly deserted highway. Up ahead, there was a minivan in the right lane approaching a gentle left-hand curve between a man-made gap in the hills.

I slowed a bit to pass the minivan in the left lane, then hit the gas again. And just as I did so, I spotted a patrol car on the opposite side of the Eastbound side of the highway, initially out of sight due to the rock outcropping. I saw his eyes go wide and he reached for the radar gun and I'm sure my eyes went wide as I slammed on the brakes, lighting all 4 tires up and skidding down the highway (no ABS in that car). I was still braking when the minivan merrily chugged it's way past me.

I didn't even wait for the PA trooper to pull out of his hiding spot. I just pulled over onto the shoulder and waited, wallet on dash with paperwork, all windows rolled down. He eventually showed up, didn't really say much, took my docs and went back to his car and took a long time there. I was thinking I'm going to jail.

Then he came back and said: "look son, I don't know how fast you were going before you laid down all that rubber back there" and he looked back up the highway. I looked back where he was looking and there were two solid jet black stripes with blue smoke still drifting around the area.

And he said: "but if you keep driving like that" and I thought for sure he was gonna say something like "you're gonna kill yourself or someone else" but instead he said "you're gonna go through a lot of sets of tires". And then he smirked and chuckled and handed me a warning and told me to slow the fvck down.

Don't know why he didn't give me a ticket, but maybe because, from his perspective, seeing my eyes go wide and watching me slam on the brakes, cooking the tires the way I did, and seeing the minivan chugging past, was enough to amuse him some. Radar guns were slower to register a speed back then, so maybe he'd have had to go back and measure the skid marks and do the math.

I pulled my radar detector down, put it away, and chugged along the rest of the way on cruise control set to 55. Did the same heading home the next day too.

Back in the day I was assistant coach for my son's baseball team. His team was down by 1. The head coach then proceeded to say: "We don't need but 1." To this day, I hear that in my mind and it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I wondered what language that might be.

I find it annoying when ordering in restaurants people say to the server, “I’ll do the” instead of saying I’ll have the...
scratches newell138 off the list of folks to invite out for dinner....

I don't normally say that(it is a bit pretentious), but once in a while it slips out.

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
I find it annoying when ordering in restaurants people say to the server, “I’ll do the” instead of saying I’ll have the...
When I hear this I think of Beavis and Butthead. "She's going to do the Caesar salad. heh heh."

"Don't judge me"

usually said by guilty people who try to defend the most reprehensible actions. Trying to hide behind narrow religious ethics when harming larger society, when larger society is a more appropriate arbiter.

"Don't judge me"

usually said by guilty people who try to defend the most reprehensible actions. Trying to hide behind narrow religious ethics when harming larger society, when larger society is a more appropriate arbiter.
I don't know - the only time I really heard this was when someone who worked for me felt guilty that she was eating a bacon cheeseburger for lunch. For the record, I did not care and I did not judge.

“RIP.” Nobody rests in peace (Heaven or Hell?). Even if and perhaps especially if you are an atheist, it doesn’t make sense.

Also “passed away.” I prefer “died.” Seems more honest.

Along those lines, “(S)he’s in a better place.” Really? Are you sure about that?

I think all these expressions are used to make us feel better about what may await each of us after death.

"All things being equal..." - I hate when this is used in a discussion because all things are never equal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT