ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Expressions You Truly Hate

As a weather guy I must admit to hating the term “inclement weather”

not so much a phrase but rather a word I dislike intensely 🤷🏻‍♂️

Theres alot to unpack here = your point is completely valid and destroys my thoughts so let me try to reframe this and make a good excuse

"the woman who needs no introduction"
"Out over my skis here a bit"
"Take yourself off the field"
"Watching them like a hawk"

Some Bruce Johnson favorites:

Football - Caught, then dropped.

MBB - Back in 60 seconds with the unhappy recap.

others:

I apologize if I made you feel that way.
Let me tell you something.
Thanks in advance
Sorry, not sorry

Last edited:
Watching the woman’s game today;
Young freshman
I suppose there could be old frosh playing, but I think almost all are young

Using “literally” when the description is figurative. I had an employee one time tell me about a then-recent event that had occurred in her life, and she exclaimed that it “literally killed me....” I chose to let it go, but it was a struggle.

Using “literally” when the description is figurative. I had an employee one time tell me about a then-recent event that had occurred in her life, and she exclaimed that it “literally killed me....” I chose to let it go, but it was a struggle.
I could never get this one correct so I literally stopped using it lol

OGC.c15b72849b93cd32afdfbf9920840065

Reactions: yesrutgers01
As a weather guy I must admit to hating the term “inclement weather”

not so much a phrase but rather a word I dislike intensely 🤷🏻‍♂️
I hope you never become a customer of mine. I'm always using "Inclement weather" when keeping my customers informed. We've recently run into some Inclement weather thus we will be delayed.... In case of inclement weather we will start your job.....

I still use it and probably don't use it correctly 80% of the time. Luckily I don't know any English Majors or Teachers to give me that side eyed and shaking head look.

I still use it and probably don't use it correctly 80% of the time. Luckily I don't know any English Majors or Teachers to give me that side eyed and shaking head look.
I use it too and know I use it incorrectly quite often. I tried to think on the actual "rule" and know that it is in "the name" literal as in literary but still get it wrong.

Language is dynamic. Common folks use whatever words they want however they want to use them. The lexicographers follow.

That is literally what has happened with "literally". It had been used incorrectly by so many for so long, that the dictionary writers said F-it and made the wrong usage right!
The Merriam-Webster dictionary now has two definitions for "literally".
  • The traditional definition, based on the root word "literal".
  • A new definition "used in an exaggerated way... that is not literally true or possible."
George Carlin famously told us that there are 400,000 words in the English language, and only seven that you can't say on TV. (Probably more than that now, but I digress.) But there's literally only one word in the English language that is its own antonym. Literally.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Language is dynamic. Common folks use whatever words they want however they want to use them. The lexicographers follow.

That is literally what has happened with "literally". It had been used incorrectly by so many for so long, that the dictionary writers said F-it and made the wrong usage right!
The Merriam-Webster dictionary now has two definitions for "literally".
  • The traditional definition, based on the root word "literal".
  • A new definition "used in an exaggerated way... that is not literally true or possible."
George Carlin famously told us that there are 400,000 words in the English language, and only seven that you can't say on TV. (Probably more than that now, but I digress.) But there's literally only one word in the English language that is its own antonym. Literally.

That’s both hilarious and sad...it won’t surprise me if idiotic “texting” short versions of words become accepted as well

If you are on the phone, and the other caller says,”Well, I better let you go.”

Nice way of telling you they want to end the call, but they subtly try to make you feel like it is your idea, and they are doing it for your own good.

So manipulative. Hahaha!

Reactions: Jm0513
Not a fan of the overused term “disrupt.” Like when someone describes himself or his organization or product as “disrupting an industry.”

I also cringe when an individual lists or states his or her “pronouns” when it is obvious. I don’t know; seems like only the counterintuitive pronouns need to be listed.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Recent additions

twindemic
Vaccine passport
Follow the science (it is mostly follow the politics)

ADVERTISEMENT